Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Cynthia7

May 11, 2006, 8:39 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2225 views)

Shortcut

gelatine

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am in Arkansas and in Walmart there are these Mexican jellos. Klass gelatina de aguas frescas...cantalope, guanabana. They also make AguasFrescas ..similar to Kool Aid. Are these in lots of Mexican grocery stores and I have just missed them?? They are very good.

Anonimo

May 12, 2006, 3:24 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] gelatine

Cynthia, I haven't had Klass Gelatinas yet, although we were looking over their website recently.* We have bought another brand, D'Gari, in little bags. It's ok, but a bit too sweet for my taste. That, and its excessive stiffness, can be cured with a careful adjustment of liquid, to wit: jugo de limón.
I made a nice Perfection Salad with it recently.

In my definition, an agua fresca ideally should be made from fresh fruits, or at least jamaica, horchata or tamarindo syrups/concentrates. How can something "fresh" come out of a packet?

Next visit to Wal Mart, I will check for Klass gelatinas.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

*NOTE: When clicking certain links on their website, it downloads unopenable files, with the suffix .asp.

esperanza

May 12, 2006, 6:38 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] gelatine

Wal-Mart in Guadalajara carries the Klass brand.

If you prefer a sugar-free gelatin, try the Clight brand. The Clight flavors include mango, jamaica, toronja rosa, limón, and several others. They're excellent.

The Clight packets for making sugar-free drinks are also excellent. No, they're not aguas frescas, but they're great to keep in the refrigerator instead of refrescos.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Cynthia7

May 12, 2006, 9:11 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] gelatine

I like the Clight gelatine and drinks...I use them when I am in Mexico and import them to the US. The flavors are very good. I use the drink mixes to make gelatine..Knox. Works very well. Klass is very stiff, also. I think that is so it will jel without much refrigeration.

sfmacaws

May 12, 2006, 9:52 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] gelatine

Love Clight, both drinks and gelatines, particularly like the Sandia and Límon Menta drinks. I also import it to the US where they have Crystal Light which sounds like it should be the same thing but they don't have the same flavors.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4