Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

talosian

May 9, 2006, 10:13 PM

Post #1 of 14 (3523 views)

Shortcut

RESTAURANT REVIEW THREAD

Can't Post | Private Reply
I remember someone started an "Introduce Yourself" thread a while ago and I think that's great.

I feel a Restaurant Review thread would also be of help to Expats in Mexico. I feel the best input is from someone who has been there and done that. Also, sometimes little known places can be jewels in hiding.

So I hope others add to this thread. I'll start with my thoughts. I'll use the 1 - 10 scale with 1 being the bottom.

VILLA de ARTE just outside of Ajijic. Ambience 8. Quite, nice surroundings and sometimes "live" music from an electric keyboard. Service and presentation 8. Food quality rates 9. Value for $$ gets an 8.5. Easy parking and just off the Carr.

VIPS at Mexico Plaza in Guad. Ambience 5 (clean but a lot like "Dennys" in the U.S.). Service 8. Presentation 6. Value for $$$ gets a 3. Food quality (we had hamburgers) was a 2+. Look nothing like the picture, very greasy, mixed up order and it was $139 for two ppl w/no drinks.

SUPER BURRITO North of Carr in Ajijic. Ambience 4. Typical small Mexican place, eat inside or out. Service 8. Friendly and fast. Food quality gets 8 (real Mexican). Value for $$, I figure 8+. Didn't leave hungry.

ALFREDOS in Chapala. West of the main drag, turn up the hill across from the street where the bus station is and right on the first street and it's on your left. Ambience 5. Service 9. Always looking to please. English spoken. Value to $$$ rates a 9+. Very large selection and has always been good to excellent food.

I could do more but not it's your turn. And of course, these are my opinions only.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

(This post was edited by DavidMcL on May 10, 2006, 7:08 AM)

Bloviator

May 10, 2006, 5:52 AM

Post #2 of 14 (3487 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] RESTAURANT REVIEW THREAD

If this is going to be an ongoing thing, I wonder if there's any way to change the Rewiew to Review.

Villa de Artes is definitely one of the best restaurants around. I would rate the ambiance as more like a 10. I don't know how it could be improved upon. You should also include the Thursday night art drawing. Also, for this to be a really valuable tool for newcomers, directions need to be included. Villa de Artes is on Rio Zula one block south of the Carretera on the west side of Ajijic, below Rancho del Oro.

I had dinner at Tio Domingo last night and it was wonderful. I always shill for that restaurant, so here goes. TIO DOMINGO: On Ocampo near Danza del Sol just opposite the entrance to La Huerta village. Closed Wednesday and Thursdays. This is a simple restaurant run by a Mexican family. The ambiance is 10 if you include the hospitality of Salvador. Decor, including inside and outside dining is 7.5. Service is varying. Salvador serves almost by himself. If it is crowded, service is slow. If not, no problem. Rating 5 on a busy night, 9 on a slow night. Food rating 8.0. Medallions of Beef are outstanding, Pork ribs, and Mexican plate are also excellent. Vegetables are simple. His bananas Foster is superb.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on May 11, 2006, 6:50 AM)

esperanza

May 10, 2006, 7:05 AM

Post #3 of 14 (3470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] RESTAURANT REWIEW THREAD

It's important to remember that there is a law in Mexico against libel. Any statements that could potentially influence clients not to patronize a business are considered to be defamatory and libelous. The legal penalties for libel are stiff and would fall not only on the individual who posts those statements but also on the website as a whole.

Better to give good reviews to good restaurants and leave the rest unsaid.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Judy in Ags

May 10, 2006, 7:35 AM

Post #4 of 14 (3456 views)

Shortcut

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that they are eating places in the Chapala area, which wouldn't do the rest of us much good. Is this the correct place for this post?

Rolly

May 10, 2006, 7:40 AM

Post #5 of 14 (3451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] RESTAURANT REVIEW THREAD

Judy has a good point. Reviews should include the city and a street address.

Rolly Pirate

Bloviator

May 10, 2006, 1:31 PM

Post #6 of 14 (3408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] RESTAURANT REVIEW THREAD

I agree that this review section is probably not useful for this forum because it is Chapala. If it becomes more extensive, it would be too unwieldy.

I'm curious why Jenifer Rose chose to edit my posting into one humongous paragraph that made it more unreadable than most of my ramblings. I am not amused.

jennifer rose

May 10, 2006, 5:47 PM

Post #7 of 14 (3374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] RESTAURANT REVIEW THREAD

Can't Post |
Please be assured that I didn't touch the content or format of what you wrote. All that was changed was the spelling of "Review" in the subject line.

The thread was moved from the General Forum to this one, instead of the Ajijic forum, because it included Guadalajara.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on May 10, 2006, 5:48 PM)

MazDee

May 10, 2006, 6:06 PM

Post #8 of 14 (3369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] RESTAURANT REVIEW THREAD

I was thinking about that too, Judy. What if this thread was transferred to a more general (non-geographic) forum, such as General or Living/Retiring, where people could post their "Excellent" recommendations? That would be wonderful for Mexico travellers, especially those with an outdated guidebook and no other info! Also it would give me a place to post some recs from my neck of the woods. And by posting only the good stuff we would not face the problems that Esperanza mentioned.

viejogatomalo

May 13, 2006, 11:56 AM

Post #9 of 14 (3293 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] RESTAURANT REWIEW THREAD

True....However,a positive opinion would seem to be non-libel. I have often felt that 'recommendations' would be a great help for those of us who have just arrived recently. As in: I had great service from this plummer. Great work at a reasonable price. or carpenter, electrician etc. Would this be considered libel? Perhaps our monitors could help keep us out of the fire. Of course, "'reasonable' price is another matter. Someone jumped on me for a price I paid for something,when I felt compaired to California was dirt cheep. Oh well, I guess it's all in the learning.

sfmacaws

May 13, 2006, 4:05 PM

Post #10 of 14 (3273 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viejomalogato] RESTAURANT REWIEW THREAD

The problem arises when one person posts a glowing review of a place, maybe even a place owned by a friend or family member or themselves. Other people have had a much different experience there and in an open and normal discourse would chime in with their opinions as well. Either because of the way Mexican law sees libel or because of the way the owners and moderators of MC see Mexican libel laws, that normal discourse is not allowed. So what you have are some worthless paens to various places and you can't tell which are plants and which are real. Not worth the bytes to store it.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

shoe

May 14, 2006, 6:30 AM

Post #11 of 14 (3243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] RESTAURANT REWIEW THREAD

I would like to suggest that posters post what they think is the best restaurant in a town, with relevant info, as this is only a opinion/experience and not subject to detrimental or libel considerations. Just sort of like placing your vote for a place and nothing bad about it. Don't rate it and then people will wonder why everything is not a 10 if it is the best place.

I think that the thread should be in the general or food forum and many towns in Mexico could be covered. Then when I am going on a trip and want to know about restaurants in a different town I could look/search here for the information and the towns.

Gee, what restaurant would I eat at where Rolly lives. I have no idea but he would probably post here and then I could look and find out. I think it would be neat.

The same thing could be done for the best bar, night club, hotel, plaza, and many others things as I have seen on some other forums that have done this (this is certainly not a original idea on my part as I gave them up long ago, original ideas that is).

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Rolly

May 14, 2006, 7:44 AM

Post #12 of 14 (3237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] RESTAURANT REWIEW THREAD

Sorry, Shoe, there's not a best restaurant on my town, only a least bad one. They tore down the best one to make way for a Sam's store.

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Jun 19, 2006, 8:20 PM

Post #13 of 14 (3085 views)

Shortcut

Why, pray tell, were these dreadful restaurant review threads resurected? I don´t see any current posts that would bring these monsters back from their deserved positions among such other historical lows as inquiries on the best way to get from Nuevo Laredo to Ajijic, a subject discussed ad nauseum here. Many of the restaurants touted as very good here serve mediocre and bland food at best. Much of the food served in many of these restaurants receiving accolades is on a par with the all-you-can-eat Wednesday fricassee at Fred´s Hofbrau in Moline. Godawlmighty, folks, get a life.

Thaere´s a lot of good food in Jalisco but where do you guys live? OK, I´m going back to try to find one place that is really outstanding. Be right back.

OK. I found one place worth trying and am intrigued by another suggestion with no specific recommendation. Masala East Indian food sounds like it´s worth a try although I would be amazed if the chef really pulls it off. Truly good East Indian food (bearing in mind that there are huge regional variations in that country) is probably way too exotic for Guadalajara. I love Brazilian rodizio style cooking and, if anyone knows of a place that does this well in Guadalajara, I would like to hear about it.

It´s not the libel laws that are crimping these threads, its the lack of discernment among posters.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Jun 19, 2006, 8:33 PM)

Gringal

Jun 25, 2006, 11:02 AM

Post #14 of 14 (3058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] RESTAURANT REVIEW THREAD

I just read a review elsewhere that touted the wonderfulness of a meal consisting of fried oysters and french fries followed by a huge slab of fudge. Pass the antacid, already!

The problem with a restaurant review is that "good food" is in the taste buds of the poster.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Jun 25, 2006, 11:12 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4