Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

johanson

May 1, 2006, 8:03 AM

Post #1 of 30 (3024 views)

Shortcut

Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey, I just went to the Pemex gas station and the cost of gas went up another 9 centavos, in two weeks. The cost of gasoline is getting out of hand. I paid $6.58 pesos for a liter of gas. That's outrageous; at 3.785 liters per gallon and an exchange rate of 11 to one, that equates to

$ 2.26 cents per gallon. That's just too high

Diesel is a little better. At $5.39 pesos per liter, that equates to

$1.85 cents per gallon. I can live with that. The trouble is, I don't have a diesel

DonaldEug44

May 1, 2006, 8:36 AM

Post #2 of 30 (3000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Pete,

If you think gas is expensive there wait until you come back to the Northwest. I paid $2.95 per gallon for regular unleaded at Arco this morning. Be glad you have cheap gas in Mexico. Predicting $5.00 per gallon by the end of summer. Going to have to import gas from Mexico pretty soon.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

jerezano

May 1, 2006, 8:41 AM

Post #3 of 30 (2990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonaldEug44] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Hello Pete,

Good tounge-in-cheek posting about the overwhelming cost of gas in México. Have you been overwhelmed by anything else here in our beloved México. The pretty girls, perhaps?

Adios.jerezano.

johanson

May 1, 2006, 9:06 AM

Post #4 of 30 (2982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Yes the pretty girls but also the cost of good rum here is too high. Just a few months ago they had a a special promotion on my favorite rum. For only $53 pesos on got a liter of rum plus an additional 1/4 liter bottle at no additional cost, which equates to 31.80 pesos or at 11 peso per dollar, $2.89 US per standard 3/4 liter bottle

Today, one liter costs $57 pesos or $3.89 US per standard 3/4 liter bottle.

I mix my rum with diet coke so I don't need Bacardi rum. Speaking of Bacardi, although there are different types of Bacardi rum here, I have seen one type here selling for less than 100 pesos for a 3/4 liter bottle.

So yes things are really tough down here.

Bubba

May 1, 2006, 9:25 AM

Post #5 of 30 (2969 views)

Shortcut

Pete:

What kind of swill are you drinking? Good grief. My favorite rums from Cuba or Martinique cost over $280 Pesos a liter. I´m going to report you to the Coca Cola Company if you keep disgracing their product with that rotgut.

kittythegm

May 1, 2006, 9:28 AM

Post #6 of 30 (2965 views)

Shortcut

The price of rum is far more critical than the price of gas!

Certainly glad to hear that it is still so reasonable. We certainly enjoy the selection and prices of rum in Mexico. While we do drink with our favorite Pepsi or diet Pepsi, we also drink with tonic and for a special before dinner drink, we enjoy Rum Old Fashioneds. A great drink with rum, bitters, sugar, orange slice, cherry and a splash of soda. When one gets away from the cover-up tastes of Pepsi or Coke, it does require a higher grade of rum for taste. Two of our favorites are Cruzan and Mt. Gay - both have reasonable prices in Mexico.

kittythegm

May 1, 2006, 9:33 AM

Post #7 of 30 (2964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Bubba:

Glad to see that you are supporting the Cuban economy!

johanson

May 1, 2006, 9:42 AM

Post #8 of 30 (2960 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Of course if you import your rum from Cuba or Martinique you are going to pay way too much. I import my rum from Nicaragua. A country well known for it's quality rum

The lable says IMPORTADO RON CASTILLO COHIBA AÑEJO

I mix this high quality rum with high quality Diet Pepsi

Oh and my favorite champagne is Andres. (The trouble is, I am not kidding, It's not the price, I actually love the stuff) Andres goes for $3.50 a bottle in WA and when available about $6 per bottle down here

Marta R

May 1, 2006, 9:58 AM

Post #9 of 30 (2951 views)

Shortcut

johanson, you are torturing me. Yesterday I paid $3.05 per galloon for regular at Costco -- at the name brand stations, it's up to $3.15. Can I retire and move now?

Marta

Bubba

May 1, 2006, 11:07 AM

Post #10 of 30 (2927 views)

Shortcut

Now, now, Pete:

There is no such thing as Andre Champagne and you know it. There is a sparkling wine product made from mass produced San Joaquin Valley grapes by E&J Gallo called Andre "Champagne". I think perhaps it is Boone´s Farm without the artificial apple extract. I recommend the following cocktail:

Northwest Washington State Sock Warmer
6 OZ. Andre Sparkling Wine
3 OZ. Industrial Strength Nicaraguan Distilled Cane Juice with Artificial Rum Essence (Nicaraguan Rum)
1,000 MG. Aspirin

Throw the swill down the drain. Take the aspirin. Go out and buy some Havana Club 7 Year Old Cuban Rum and a fine Cuban cigar. Light the cigar and drink the rum neat. Call Bubba if you need help finishing this treat.

JohnnyBoy

May 1, 2006, 12:59 PM

Post #11 of 30 (2900 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kittythegm] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Kitty,

I am a big Old Fashion fan, but made with good bourbon. And I am in a sweat over the fact that bourbon is very difficult to find, and then very expensive when I do find it, in Mexico. I had planned to smuggle a few bottles in with me every time I make a run to Tucson from where I will be living in Sonora. But perhaps I can train myself to like those made with rum, if rum is less expensive.

Would you share the recipe, or is it the same as with bourbon?

BTW, just got back from Costco in South San Francisco where I paid $3.09 per gallon. Now I am wondering if I ought to scrap my plans to move my stuff into storage in Tucson. The rental price of a 10' Uhaul has dropped from $1100 to $890, but those things get about 5 mpg loaded. I am beginning to think it is not worth the cost of transportation with gas prices likely at $4 a gallon by next spring.

Do the Costco's in Mexico sell bourbon? Do they electronics, like TV's, stereos, and DVD players?

jb

kittythegm

May 1, 2006, 1:31 PM

Post #12 of 30 (2890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnBleazard] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Basically the recipe is the same as with bourbon. We generally use a dark rum but not one with a real heavy flavor - Mt Gay from Barbados works great! Personal preference is heavy on the bitters and sometimes float a little Cointreau or Grand Marnier on top for the orange impact. Great drink before dinner and the bitters aids your digestion. Don't believe that - read the label sometimes. It cures a number of things!

johanson

May 1, 2006, 1:57 PM

Post #13 of 30 (2876 views)

Shortcut

JB: I highly recommend you come down to Mexico for a visit. You have a great deal to learn. (SMILE) We have most everything you do up there. You asked if we had electronics like TV's, Stereos, DVD players. Yes and at the point of sounding rude, our roads are paved too. (That is meant as humor, not as a put down)

For example that same SONY 60 inch HDTV that is built in Mexico for the US market is available down here. I got mine in 2003 at Costco in Guadalajara. They were and are for sale in many electronic stores. CD's and DVDs are for sale at almost every corner. Even here in primitive Ajijic 75% of the High School kids have cell phones, and many use text messaging. Where did I get that % #? From my gardener's teenage son who is probably about 16. Oh and many of the kids have Ipods, MP3 players etc. You can shop at Costco, Radio Shack, Wall*Mart, Sam's Club, Sears, Liverpool, Soriana's you name it The vast majority of all things available where you are, are available down here as well

Heck we have VW dealerships, but also BMW and MB dealerships as well. The third richest guy in the world lives in Mexico. Here in Ajijic, I often see newer locally plated BMWs and MB SUVs. You usually see these rigs on the weekend when the richer Guadalajarans come out to their weekend homes here on the shores of Lake Chapala. These richer locals seem to have a lot more money than many of the expats down here.

Yes the standard of living is lower for many in Mexico, but there is strong middle class in the larger cities, and some of the rich here are very very very very rich.

As I write this on my laptop, I am having a cup of coffee at a local restaurant. I am connected to the internet via a wireless 802.11b broadband connection, just like they have at Starbucks up North. Oh and we have Starbuck's down here too.

So if you have images of a primitive Mexico, you will be shocked when you get here

Oscar2

May 1, 2006, 2:13 PM

Post #14 of 30 (2867 views)

Shortcut

Although Rum is not one of my favorites, I do enjoy a good Margarita, especially SOB. I know it’s probably considered a Fu Fu drink by some, none the less the particular one the wife and I enjoy is called and recognized as a Cadillac Margarita.

The main significance of this Margarita is that although made with quantity and Tequila of choice on the rocks, a shot of 80 proof Grand Marnier liqueur is added to the mix to cut some of the heavy lemony taste out of the drink. The Cadillac has a particularly “nice” aftertaste and mixes real well with the ambiance of the evening ………..if you get my drift.

The problem is Grand Marnier is an import, a bit expensive, distilled in Paris, France and at times very difficult to find in most bars and liquor stores in Mexico. Reason I bring this up is because as of late I was carousing around Costco, an endemic habit I should seek counseling for ….. and I made a find I wasn’t to sure about at first sight but I read the label and it indicated that this particular Margarita mix not only included the Tequila but Grand Marnier as well. At first I scoffed at it as just another insipid Margarita mix but then I heard this tall, slender lady after she grabbed a bottle of this stuff, waved it over her head and said, hey honey, (speaking to her mate) here’s that Golden we’ve been looking for…. So I thought well, if they’re doing it, I’ll bite and took one home. IMHO, it was very tasty, in fact delicious and very close to the way I enjoy mixing the Cadillac. A nice fringe was the kick and of coarse, adjustable as needed.

A 750 ml bottle of Grand Marnier is about $30.00 us. A 1 ¾ liter of Golden is $19.00 complete with mix, Tequila and Grand Marnier. Add the ice and you’re off to the races…..

bournemouth

May 1, 2006, 2:53 PM

Post #15 of 30 (2850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Oscar2] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Oscar: You could try the local brand of orange liquer, Controy. We enjoy in in our margaritas, along with tequila, fresh squeezed lime juice and some simple syrup.

Oscar2

May 1, 2006, 4:02 PM

Post #16 of 30 (2837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Isn't it weird how one gets a pallet impediment flavorably attracted to preferences one can just call habit. As a rule a "dynamite very, very icy cold Martini in a tall frosted glass with 3 Vermouth marinated onions and 2 marinated cocktail tomatios", can at times literally be a taste of heaven? I know, I know with all the onions and tomatios, one would think I was having a salad but then again, the pallet can be fun. A dynamite Martini in Mexico I've found difficult to find, especially when you request cocktail onions, olives are readily available but not onions. When we go out for entertainment we've literally taken a small jar of onions, just in case.........

Oops, excuse for treading your thread: Gas in southern California $3.15 regular and climbing.....sheeesh!

(This post was edited by Oscar2 on May 1, 2006, 4:26 PM)

Gringal

May 1, 2006, 4:16 PM

Post #17 of 30 (2829 views)

Shortcut

Interesting suggestions, but how did you folks get from the cost of gas to getting gassed? Well, maybe there is only one logical action after sticker shock at the pump. To the bar.

Oscar2

May 1, 2006, 5:08 PM

Post #18 of 30 (2807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

Yes, I know, I get side tracked a lot of late and try making amends but fail miserably. Look above at my edit, it will bring you no pleasure but as a consolation I’ll give you a rain check on one of my special Margaritas…………..!

JohnnyBoy

May 1, 2006, 6:30 PM

Post #19 of 30 (2785 views)

Shortcut

Hey Johanson,

Thanks for the invite. I have been to Mexico several times, but I refuse to go to Costco for the same reasons I refuse to go to McDonalds. But that was as a tourist.

My partner tells me much the same, about how where he lives is hard to distinguish from Tucson. And I will most definitely frequent those places: especially Costco and Sears. My partner tells me they are considered "up scale," trendy, almost yuppy-type places.

Mainly I wondered if I could buy Jack Daniels there in Costco like I can here.

I am a wreck trying to decide whether or not to bring my crap with me. Today I am leaning toward NOT bringing it. So I wonder if I will be able to afford to replace a lot of it. I went to stores in Mexico where they sell washing machines, for example, and nearly fell over from the prices. I was assuming that Sears and Costco will be cheaper. From what I gather, they will be more expensive than the local, generic Mexican stores, and more expensive, for the same products, that here in the USA.

Hey, I am coming...regardless of the Sears, the TVs, the Old Fashions. But that leads me to another concern:

I have been watching the demonstrations on TV today over the illegal immigrant matters. How long before Mexicans start resenting by lily white gringo butt and send me packing for the border? (Nevermind that I will not be illegal.) Just to let you know what a Nervous Nelly I am, I cancelled a month long vacation to France this year because of the student unrest that was so heavily in the news not too long ago. And I have cancelled other trips in the past, to places like Malaysia and Indonesia because with my luck I will be in the cafe they bomb that day.

jb

Mark Landes

May 1, 2006, 8:29 PM

Post #20 of 30 (2750 views)

Shortcut

I'm told Starbuck's pays Health care for any worker who works 24 hours or more and that they subsequently spend more on health care than coffee.

Used to be in China foreigners were not even allowed inside the Emperor's Palace---now there is a Starbucks kiosk insisde the gates.
Mark

Papirex

May 1, 2006, 11:46 PM

Post #21 of 30 (2723 views)

Shortcut

A Martini that uses an onion instead of a stuffed olive is called a Gibson. I doubt if they have heard of them in most non-tourist places here. It’s tough enough getting a Martini olive without a seed in it here.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

MazDee

May 1, 2006, 11:52 PM

Post #22 of 30 (2721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

All of this discussion is making me thirsty! Why don't some of you meander over to the Kitchen forum and post a few of your favorite cocktail recipes? Especially Margaritas and rum old fashions... and while you are at it, the best buys in rum and tequilla. thanks

Bloviator

May 2, 2006, 5:06 AM

Post #23 of 30 (2705 views)

Shortcut

We recently bought new washer and dryer at Tio Sam's on the libramiento. After a lot of shopping all over Guad. The total was about $1,000 US. If you have room, you might do well to bring your washer and dryer. If you decide to do something else, they are as good as gold for re-sale. It is almost impossible to find a good used washer and dryer. One reason we bought new is that the used that we found were almost as expensive and very suspect as to condition.

Pete is always beating the drums for learning Spanish. You can shop at Costco without speaking word one of Spanish. It's mostly the same consumer crap that you get NoB. Going to Home Depot, on the other hand is a real adventure. I don't know how one could function there without at least a fair command of Spanish. A few of their people speak some English, but a lot do not. Shopping at major stores and locally is where the - "You don't have to learn any Spanish to get along," crowd must have problems unless they have personal shoppers. Even at Livingstons - before I decided never to go there again - it is hard to find a clerk of any kind, and when you do find one, few speak English. Of course locally, places such as Hara's are wonderful and the people speak English. But if they don't have what you want, you have to go to stores where they don't speak English, but they go out of their way to ignore English speakers.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on May 2, 2006, 5:08 AM)

Georgia

May 2, 2006, 6:27 AM

Post #24 of 30 (2692 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Gas dryers

One note about importing your own washer and dryer: the cost of electricity per kwh goes up exponentially the more you use. Consequently, many choose to have a gas dryer which is far more economical. Of course, there's always the sun which normally is in plentiful supply.

Oscar2

May 2, 2006, 10:15 AM

Post #25 of 30 (2651 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Cost of gas overwhelming in Mexico

So true! While in Mexico ordering a good Martini can be a job, even more so a Gibson. I’ve found one has to sort of improvise, order a Martini and speak to the bartender or waiter and patient detailed instruction with a smile and a nice tip (sometimes) works. But you’re “right on” about the pitted olive. Sometimes it’s like tutoring a bartender at a favorite night spot where you can come in for dinner, kind of wave your hand at him and he responds in kind with the kind of customer service he knows you enjoy followed of coarse with a nice propina. I’ve heard quite a bit of Morelos in Cuernavaca. We’d like to visit there sometime this year. I’ll talk to you more about this again.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4