Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

bournemouth

Apr 27, 2006, 9:50 AM

Post #1 of 12 (4113 views)

Shortcut

Dish again.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I freely admit that I am technically useless and Dish System challenged. Rolly has kindly told me that he watches PBS on channel 249. On my dish set up I don't get channel 249 and it does not show on Dish's channel guide. The tv offered me Maury Povich on Fox at 247 instead - aaagh!

Is PBS a feed that is just out there, to be picked up at will, or is it part of the Dish lineup. Is this a question of programming the remote to pick it up or am I doomed never to see those old British comedies again? Yes, I do know about BBC America.

Help will be most gratefully received.

Rolly

Apr 27, 2006, 10:17 AM

Post #2 of 12 (4108 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Dish again.

Amiga, click here http://www.dishnetwork.com/...packages/index.shtml
and then click on the $44.99/month beside the 120 channel package that you have. Then you will see the networks that you will receive if you subscribe to a local channels add-on package. That's how I get PBS and the other broadcast networks.

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Apr 27, 2006, 10:23 AM

Post #3 of 12 (4106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Dish again.

Gracias Rolly - now I truly understand my problem. PBS has gone for me as I subscribe to the NY local channels and PBS has gone from there. Somehow I think that trying to change my location while living in Mexico may be more complicated than I can handle! Thanks again.

Bill_N

Apr 30, 2006, 11:28 AM

Post #4 of 12 (4061 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Dish again.

On an SMA webboard I was reading that the local cable company there said that receiving satellite TV signals in Mexico is "illegal". Someone said that was a sign posted in SMA Cable Office in English. Is this true? Something no one enforces? What? Seems many of you living there do get DISH or other Satellite TV and that there are local businesses that install it and sell it, so how could it be "illegal"?

It seems how I understand this is that you have to have a "US or Canadian" address and order the DISH through that address, is that correct? So maybe that is what they are calling "illegal" since you are pulling the signal down in a different location than the "billing address". Please explain or direct me to a webpage that explains about this.

And I'm trying to determine if the signal that you receive off of the satellite includes the "closed captioning signal". My wife is Deaf and it would be a hardship for her if there were no "closed captioning" in English on the TV signal. The US TVs have built in "caption decoders". I'm curious if a TV purchased in Mexico would have the CC capability or will we need to bring a State of the Art US TV with us?

Thanks
Bill Newell

Play Email Lotto... Win a Million Dollars
Hey Ya Never Know... http://tinyurl.com/7c9vz

Search Cheapest Int'l Calling Rates
http://ld.net/calculator/?lowrates

Rolly

Apr 30, 2006, 12:20 PM

Post #5 of 12 (4057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bill_N] Dish again.

It is illegal for a foreign satellite company to sell its service in Mexico. The sign in the cable office is meant to scare folks into using their cable. As they say in the old country -- Bull Shit.

You there is closed captioning on Dish-TV -- thank goodness because I am highly dependent upon it myself. I bought a Sony TV here in Mexico with CC. You are covered OK on CC.

Rolly Pirate

Bill_N

Apr 30, 2006, 12:44 PM

Post #6 of 12 (4052 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Dish again.

Rolly,

Thanks for the info on the CC. I'm glad to hear that it is available. What about how you get the Dish network or whatever. Do you need to have a US address? I know, for one, you aren't maintaining any US home whatsoever. How does that work?

Thanks
Bill Newell

Play Email Lotto... Win a Million Dollars
Hey Ya Never Know... http://tinyurl.com/7c9vz

Search Cheapest Int'l Calling Rates
http://ld.net/calculator/?lowrates

johanson / Moderator

Apr 30, 2006, 1:05 PM

Post #7 of 12 (4049 views)

Shortcut

I notice you are from Rochester. So you probably get programming from both Canada and the US. The only small US dish System that works well as far south as Guadalajara is DISH, and even then one needs a 1.4 and 2.0 meter dish to get the signals from the two most popular DISH satellites located at 110 and 119 degrees West. Trouble is you are not going to get your local channels, although playing games you might get all but the PBS channel out of NY city.

Another solution using a much smaller elliptical dish measuring about 36 by 26 inches would be to subscribe to Star Choice. Not only will it provide you with the Buffalo, NY network stations but with programming from north of the border as well.

The system you choose to use will depend upon your TV interests. Why not compare the programming available by going first to www.starchoice.com and then to www.dishnetwork.com/ Remember though, when visiting the DISH site that when it says that the network feeds are available, they are being sent via spot beam in the vast majority of the cases to include Rochester, NY and are not viewable nation wide nor of course in Mexico.

The nice thing about the EDIT button is that when you post an answer that I hadn't yet read, I can go in and make changes. There are any number of ways of getting alternative US or Canadian addresses, all the way from using one our your relative's addresses to paying a broker to provide you with an address.

Oh, by the way, it's one heck of a lot cheaper to get your equipment up there than down here. Remember though, that there is no point in bringing the DISH satellite dish with you because it will be too small in all but those towns close to the US. You can buy that down here from most any satellite dealer. You might check the archives for information on Star Choice and DISH

(This post was edited by johanson on Apr 30, 2006, 1:13 PM)

Rolly

Apr 30, 2006, 4:05 PM

Post #8 of 12 (4036 views)

Shortcut

Bill, while I don't live NoB and don't ever plan to, I do maintain an "official" address in Texas. It makes it a lot easier when dealing with credit cards, banks, online ordering, satellite service, etc.

Rolly Pirate

taltman711

Apr 30, 2006, 4:33 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4032 views)

Shortcut

Illegal???-----HAHAHA!!!!! Roly is correct--B.S.!!
Consider this--you are not in the USA, so no NOB law could be broken. Dish does not officially exist in Mexico, so how could it be against the law to receive it. (ok, there may be some arcane law to prevent it, but no one has ever found or mentioned it). It IS a violation of your service contract with Dish to not give them your actual service address. HOWEVER, I challenge you to find this service contract on Dish's web site, and obviously there is no installation contractor here to make you sign. Dish merrily will provide you service, regardless of whether there is a contract, as long as you PAY. The FCC will slap Dish, however, if they continue to provide you service if they know you live in Mexico. That is why Dish has an audit dept. to check accounts with red flags.
There are 4 ways to sign up with Dish in Mexico(that I know of--there may be others), and all have slightly different channel lineups that you may receive. Peter mentioned a couple. I absolutely agree with Pete that for most people Star Choice is an excellent if not superior alternative, especially if you can no longer receive the local channels from whence you have come.
By the way, as I mentioned to our esteemed Moderator in another thread, you will have to wrestle with your own moral code as far as violating the service contract.
Tim

sfmacaws

Apr 30, 2006, 11:07 PM

Post #10 of 12 (4006 views)

Shortcut

Re: [taltman711] Dish again.

All countries maintain the rights to the air space over them, most of them tax anything like satellite companies that use that air space - Mexico is no exception. So, while it is not enforced to my knowledge, it is illegal to use a foreign satellite system in Mexico because they are not paying the tax to use the air space. There are Mexican satellite companies and they are legal and presumably paying taxes. Dish, Direct and Star Choice are not. The FCC cannot license any company to sell service in another country, whether it is Mexico or Canada, thus they specify that customers of US companies must have a US address for service.

At this point, no one is enforcing this and no one seems to care. Of course, that could change. You should at least be aware of that although I don't forsee it happening.

There are brokers who will establish an account for you with Canadian Star Choice if you are from the US or with Dish or Direct if you are from Canada. They all require a credit card and some are shadier than others, so do some research.

There are dealers in Mexico who will provide everything and set it up for you but they are definitely operating outside the pale and what you get varies enormously and so do the costs, really do some research if you decide to go this way. It's easier and cheaper to set up the account while NOB, get it paid automatically from a credit card and bring the receiver down with you. As said above, the dish is the cheapest part and can be gotten anywhere. It's important though that the dish and feed horn are compatible, otherwise you will have a lot of grief.

The US companies, both Dish and Direct, have provisions for RVers that allow us to get national feeds (including NPR) from about 4 areas of the US. With Dish, I paid $5 for the Denver feed and $5 for the LA feed both of which included 4 network channels (ABC,NBC,CBS,Fox). To get this, I sent in an RV waiver along with a copy of the RV registration. It may be simpler now but if you are looking for a way around the spot beam loss of network channels and NPR, this is an option. The feeds available from Dish were LA, Denver, Chicago and NYC.

Last year I gave up Dish and got an account with Star Choice using a broker. I did this because I couldn't get Dish in the Yucatan without buying a huge dish. Star Choice works great with a small dish and gives us 2 US network feeds (we picked Seattle and Buffalo). We used it in Guatemala this winter and it worked there too. We also bought the NFL package that shows all NFL games during the season. That was a big plus, even the networks don't show all the games and there is no black out if the game is not sold out. For sh*ts and grins you can watch the weather is some godforsaken spot in Canada where it never thaws, that gets old quick though. You can also watch things like HGTV (one of my favs) but from Canada, a bit different but still cool.

Since I also use a satellite for internet, we are carrying a bunch of dishes on our RV. We set them all up on the deck of our condo in Akumal this winter and it looked like a dish farm out there. They are putting a new roof on this month - thanks to Emily and Wilma - and have promised a flat spot for dishes up there. I may buy a permanent dish for TV and just bring the receiver up to the condo. Of course, another hurricane could come along anytime and blow them all down. Ni modo.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

taltman711

May 1, 2006, 7:05 AM

Post #11 of 12 (3993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Dish again.

All countries maintain the rights to the air space over them, most of them tax anything like satellite companies that use that air space - Mexico is no exception. So, while it is not enforced to my knowledge, it is illegal to use a foreign satellite system in Mexico because they are not paying the tax to use the air space.

I certainly agree with the first sentence above. The disagreement I have is with the rest of the quote. Canada, USA, Mexico restrict the TRANSMISSION of these signals, but none restrict the reception. For example, even in the USA it is legal to receive Dish network signals without an account--it is only illegal to descamble it without paying them. See this article regarding Mexico and the reception of sat. signals. Scroll down to Article 34 for the pertinent part of this boring stuff. http://www.natlaw.com/trans/tnstcm6.htm (You will not be charged to view this article-just click OK)
Basically, this allows anyone to receive the Dish signal without restriction--no need for a permit. By the way, this also allows people like our Moderator to receive C-Band free to air stuff without a problem.If anyone else has other info. that applies that proves me wrong, PLEASE let me know.
Tim

(This post was edited by taltman711 on May 1, 2006, 7:07 AM)

johanson / Moderator

May 1, 2006, 8:43 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3976 views)

Shortcut

Re: [taltman711] Dish again.

I know that we are in a fuzzy area here. But Star Choice for example encourages travelers to take their satellite systems with them when they travel. They even used to show footprint maps indicating that one could get a good signal, no only in Canada, but the US, Mexico and northern Central America.

After all the CRTC (the same as the US FCC) only says it is a violation of regulations to sell signals to persons who live in other countries. There is no mention of snowbirds who come south for a few weeks. The trouble is, I come south for a lot more than a few weeks per year. So when, under the eyes of the CRTC or FCC do I become a resident as apposed to a snowbird?

All of a sudden, although Star Choice, still advocated persons taking their systems with them while traveling, the footprint maps that showed we could get the signal while in Mexico, suddenly disappeared. Which indicated to me that just maybe there may be a minor problem here.

I know that I have the right to listen to any short wave radio station I want from anywhere in the world, be I in Canada, the US , or Mexico. The same thing goes for AM and FM and with TV signals. That is not the case in Cuba. But if I were a Mexican resident, that the CRTC and FCC would forbid the satellite companies under their control to knowingly sell subscription packages to me.

The way Tim explains it, is the way I understand it.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4