Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

paigeramey

Apr 26, 2006, 1:29 PM

Post #1 of 14 (1496 views)

Shortcut

Coolest Route to San Miguel?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We two humans and our pooch are driving to San Miguel via Nogales towards the latter part of September this year, actually moving down there! I have two questions:

1. Can anyone recommend the most interesting, and coolest (meaning weather) driving route, for that time of year? I hear that both coasts are hot and humid then, ick.

2. Does anyone have experience driving their Subaru long distance in Mexico, getting it serviced, etc? Am I crazy to bring this car? It is infinitely more comfortable than our VW Jetta, but I do know service people are more familiar with the Jetta. Thanks, thanks, thanks, a zillion times for any advice.
-Paige

Rolly

Apr 26, 2006, 1:54 PM

Post #2 of 14 (1489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [paigeramey] Coolest Route to San Miguel?

If I were doing it, I wouldn't cross at Nogales. I'd stay on I-10 to San Antonio meeting I-35 to Laredo, and then south from there. You'll pay more for gas, but you'll pay a lot less in tolls. And it will be much easier to find motels in the USA that allow your dog. Dogs are a problem over-nighting on the road in Mexico.

For more on pets on the road in Mexico, look here: http://gringodog.home.comcast.net/pet-friendly.htm

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Apr 26, 2006, 2:51 PM

Post #3 of 14 (1480 views)

Shortcut

Rolly is spot-on about staying NOB as long as possible on your trip. With respect to cool and interesting in September, I wouldn't plan on finding either (this is not to say that driving in Mexico cannot be interesting, but on such a long trip and with a pup, I think you will be looking for places to stay more than things to see).

With respect to the Subaru, that's going to be a challenge. Unless something has changed in the last year, Subaru does not have a presence in Mexico, and of course VW does big-time! Right about here I'm supposed to say, 'but the Mexican shade-tree mechanics can fix ANYTHING!'. But if the computer in it goes bad, shade-tree 'does not compute'. In all my auto travels in Mexico I don't believe I've ever seen a Subaru on the road. But they are great cars (#1 seller in Colorado where I live) and if the car is newer and you are a little adventurous, why not bring it on down for a few years. When/if it starts acting up drive it back to the border on a 'vacation' and trade it in on something else. If you bring it down, I'd at least bring enough oil and air filters with you to last a few years.

paigeramey

Apr 26, 2006, 3:53 PM

Post #4 of 14 (1475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Coolest Route to San Miguel?

Thanks for all your help. I was going to stop in Nogales to visit a friend from high school I haven't seen forever, but maybe we'll do that another time.

The Subaru is in great shape now, but maybe we should trade it for a VW nonetheless. I do better knowing there's experienced help out there if I should need it, especially with a pooch in the car.

cristalhombre

Apr 26, 2006, 7:16 PM

Post #5 of 14 (1455 views)

Shortcut

I've seen quite a few Subaru's (Outbacks and Forresters) in and around Lake Chapala. Certainly would advise bringing belts and oil filters. Also remember the "unique" Subaru compression gasket for the oil pan drain plug - these cost about .89 cents each, but necessary and you will not find that in MX.

We are on our third Subaru Outback here in the Portland area & I would not hesitate bringing one down. Having said that.......parts and service are a real issue to consider. Roll the dice.

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST...."

Bubba

Apr 26, 2006, 8:07 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1447 views)

Shortcut

Good grief:

Rolly´s recommendation of I-10 across Texas to San Antonio and down is fine but among the ugliest and, in September, one of the most hellishly hot drives on the planet.

I say, depending on how big your pooch is, cross at Nogales, visit your friend and head down via Chihuahua, Saltillo, San Luis Potosi and Queretaro. Bring along a collapsible dog cage. We traveled from Nogales to Lake Chapala with three very large dogs and two cats and no hotel would agree to take us over the telephone. We found lodging every day in motels but start looking by mid-afternoon. The route I suggest covers a lot of high country which will be more pleasant. It´s also more scenic.

Rolly

Apr 26, 2006, 8:23 PM

Post #7 of 14 (1443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Coolest Route to San Miguel?

Humm, so Chihuahua to south of Saltillo is better than West Texas? Not for me. But maybe it's my perspective since I live in the middle of that road from Chi to Saltillo. Smile

Rolly Pirate

yea

Apr 27, 2006, 7:54 AM

Post #8 of 14 (1412 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Coolest Route to San Miguel?

I agree with Bubba, jump into Mexico at Nogales and go through Chihuahua and San Luis Potosi, but don't go to Queretaro as Bubba suggests as the road to San Miguel is before. Driving through the state of Chihuahua is all open roads and much more exciting then west Texas. Also, a lot less humid and flat.

jerezano

Apr 28, 2006, 7:59 AM

Post #9 of 14 (1354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yea] Coolest Route to San Miguel?

Hello,

Some San Miguel Residents prefer the very far East crossing at Los Indios just south of Harlingen on interstate highway 83.

This gives you Interstate travel all the way through the USA. Then a straight shot from the Free Trade International Bridge at Los Indios--a very easy, little trafficked crossing--to Cd Victoria, San Luis Potosí and to SMA. Good highway all the way with some construction between Cd. Victoria and SLP.

You might consider this. No cuota charges on the Mexican side.

Adios. jerezano.

Nancy4

Apr 28, 2006, 12:26 PM

Post #10 of 14 (1337 views)

Shortcut

Hola. I have just returned from SMA and I agree traveling through SLP is a comfortable drive. I stick to the tolled roads. Going into MX, looking for a cool drive must mean using your air conditioning! The evenings through SMA and San Luis Potasi are very comfortable, but cool days, now? In Acapulco, the days are 90s everyday. In SMA and SLP to the border at Loredo, I experienced comfortable evenings and warm days (which I did not mind). I have been driving a Toyota Avalon down to Acapulco and ironically we have a brand new toyota dealership on our main road. I had it serviced for the air conditioning. With some conversation re "cost" I was very satisfied. They had never worked on an Avalon before, but were knowledgeable enough for us to feel confortable. We noticed many new dealerships cropping up throughout MEX. The Mexican auto mechanics do wonders. I would not worry. Hope I helped you. Good luck and enjoy a beautiful people and country.

paigeramey

Apr 28, 2006, 3:24 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] Coolest Route to San Miguel?

Hola, hola.
Right. No such thing as cool down there. I guess it becomes obvious fairly quickly that I live in San Francisco. I do like the mountain route idea, though, and will follow that one.
I hope I can be as helpful to the next wave of newcomers as you all have been to us. Muchas gracias, and don't be surprised at my next round of preguntas.
This whole adventure just gets more and more exciting!
Paige

roni_smith

May 2, 2006, 9:39 AM

Post #12 of 14 (1274 views)

Shortcut

Subaru in Mexico - things may be changing, depending on where you are

http://www.subaru.co.nz/Roam/About_Subaru/News/index.php?article=867
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

RickS

May 2, 2006, 2:57 PM

Post #13 of 14 (1256 views)

Shortcut

Well, Paigeramey, with Ron's information-find about the new Subaru presence coming to Mexico, I'd say you've been given a reprieve on dumping that Subaru. I'd for sure keep it now. "Any" Subaru would be a good car for Mexico now, especially if you already own it. Good find, Roni!

(This post was edited by RickS on May 2, 2006, 2:58 PM)

roni_smith

May 3, 2006, 12:37 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1227 views)

Shortcut

Subaru in Mexico - I think I would want another source of information - and to check out whether models they are not going to initially sell in Mexico can be serviced there. Also, Mazda is reported to be going into Mexico also - might want to google it if you are interested.

We like Subarus and I have long thought they might be a good car to have in Mexico.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4