Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Cynthia7

Apr 25, 2006, 8:12 PM

Post #1 of 13 (7156 views)

Shortcut

whipping cream

Can't Post | Private Reply
The day before I left SMA for the US I bought 2 boxes of Saborex(Chantilly) whipping cream. I decided to bring them with me so the other night when I had just washed and capped 2 quarts of Arkansas strawberries I thought..I'll try that whipped cream. It did whip and it was pretty good. It is sweetened and at first I thought it might be a type of Cool Whip in a box. it does have dried skim milk in it. It does have sugar and oil in it. It does have plenty of calories in it. I thought it might be nice to have a box of whipping cream on the pantry shelf. Saborex is in San Juan del Rio, Queretaro. They have a very nice website www.natalim.com.mx Have you used this or another similar product.? They make many products for bakers..cake and dessert bakers.

zoeq1000

May 18, 2006, 1:26 PM

Post #2 of 13 (7096 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Cynthia7] whipping cream

Thanks, Cynthia. I would love to have some powdered whip cream on hand. Would like to see the factory. I wonder if they do tours. I'm going to try to get to Tequisquiapan for the Wine and Cheese Festival toward the end of the month. I went to one cheese tasting last year here in QRO and found that there are artisan cheeses around. Queretaro is, evidently, a big dairy state.

Anonimo

May 18, 2006, 2:58 PM

Post #3 of 13 (7087 views)

Shortcut

Rich's Products, a leading brand in los estados unidos for "Genuine, Artificial", whipped toppings and cremes is aparently available en México "to the trade". Bettercreme™ is a handy whipped topping, available in large, frozen cartons, or pre-bagged in disposable pastry bags. It works as a buttercreme or as a whipped topping.
You all have fun! (I haven't used this stuff for over 10 years.)
http://www.richs.com/mx/

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Cynthia7

May 18, 2006, 5:47 PM

Post #4 of 13 (7080 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zoeq1000] whipping cream

Saborex is not powder. It is like the milk you buy in a box..but it is whipping cream. Did you notice on their website they do lots of stuff for bakers?? Rich's creams that Mike mentioned are out of Buffalo, NY. At the end of a World War they had access to some surplus army trucks. They had a dairy and made ice cream. They insulated those trucks and could take their ice cream pretty far away..the beginning of quarts of ice cream for home use. Needless to say..they made a fortune. Now back to Saborex. Drive down to the plant and ask for a tour. I am sure you can buy the cream at the store..I got mine at Kiki's in SMA.

MazDee

May 18, 2006, 10:23 PM

Post #5 of 13 (7062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] whipping cream

Anon, I found a tub of Rich's Bettercreme at Soriana and tried it on a dessert with strawberries. Didn't like it at all but the guests didn't complain, being polite folks. I thought it would be like Coolwhip, which I think is ok, but it had a greasy texture and was way too sweet for me. Maybe mixed with other ingredients it would do. I will look for the boxed stuff, or just whip some real cream next time. Crema para batar? or whatever they call it.

Anonimo

May 19, 2006, 2:29 AM

Post #6 of 13 (7060 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] whipping cream

IMO, if you are going to have "Whipped Cream", there is no substitute for the real thing. I would rather eat a little of that on rare occasion than synthetic stuff frequently.
Yes; I believe it's called "Crema para batir."

I once did a rough price comparison, while in Little Rock, between real whipped cream and Cool Whip. If my reckoning was accurate, Cool Whip was actually more expensive, ounce for ounce.

The convenience of pre-whipped Cool Whip, however, makes it possible to concoct culinary atrocities far more easily than with real cream. ;-)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

Gayla

May 19, 2006, 8:51 AM

Post #7 of 13 (7050 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] whipping cream

In Reply To
Anon, I found a tub of Rich's Bettercreme at Soriana and tried it on a dessert with strawberries. Didn't like it at all but the guests didn't complain, being polite folks. I thought it would be like Coolwhip, which I think is ok, but it had a greasy texture and was way too sweet for me. Maybe mixed with other ingredients it would do. I will look for the boxed stuff, or just whip some real cream next time. Crema para batar? or whatever they call it.

julietl

May 19, 2006, 11:06 PM

Post #8 of 13 (7025 views)

Shortcut

In my local Superama (I call it Super-Rata), there is Crema Para Batir - o algo así: Super-rich, makes whipping cream.

My lament is for 1/2 & 1/2, remember that? Very available in stores in the US - half milk and half cream. Perfect for a cuppa joe? When I have a catering I never know what to serve in the 'cream' servers, usually leche entero is fine, but sometimes I add a little crema para batir for a little more body. So, my question - there is no 1/2 & 1/2 here, correct? I need to make my own...
Signed,
Confused Lechera en DF

(This post was edited by julietm on May 19, 2006, 11:07 PM)

sfmacaws

May 20, 2006, 12:16 AM

Post #9 of 13 (7019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] whipping cream

We use media crema which comes in small cartons similar to the boxed milk. It is a little thicker than US half & half but not as thick as the crema para batir. Most of the time we pour the media crema into a container, add a little leche entero and shake. The result is pretty close to half&half and it pours easier when cold than the straight media crema. What I really love is that it is boxed so I am never without cream for my coffee. I bring lots of it back to the US with me every summer.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Cynthia7

May 20, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #10 of 13 (7007 views)

Shortcut

Re: [julietm] whipping cream

I have never found half and half in Mexico. I guess if you don't drink much coffee and don't use it on cereal there is not much of a demand for it. When we came to Mexico 20 years ago in SMA you either got milk from the milk truck..bringing your own container to the truck or bought it in a box....if you could find it. Dried milk was in the pharmacy. It is easy to make and what is more luxurious than thick cream in your coffee. When we first came to Mexico it was not uncommon to see a baby in a rebosa with a coca cola bottle with a nipple on it. No milk but coca cola. It makes me wonder why Coca Cola being so popular in 3rd world countries doesn't make a nutritional drink and market it so the poor people of the world would have access to better nutrition.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

May 20, 2006, 1:31 PM

Post #11 of 13 (6994 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
When we first came to Mexico it was not uncommon to see a baby in a rebosa with a coca cola bottle with a nipple on it. No milk but coca cola. It makes me wonder why Coca Cola being so popular in 3rd world countries doesn't make a nutritional drink and market it so the poor people of the world would have access to better nutrition.

This is off the topic a bit, but,
I suspect that Corporate America, in spite of the fact that most everyone else knows about 3d world countries; doesn't, or is ignorant enough to only look at the bottom line of their products. Cocoa Cola was available in the smallest village in Thailand and Cambodia in the early sixties, usually under a sunguard of some type all surrounded by ice blocks and sawdust in the center of town. The only English word known by those people at the time was "Coke". I suspect there may have been something like that in some of the smaller, out-of-the-way villages in Mexico as well. Poor people having been brought up on the sweet taste of Coke and not having nutrition being pushed as part of their diet would probably not switch to a healthier drink just as our kids NOB won't.
The only thing that seems to matter anymore is the bottom line.
Getting older and still not down here.

julietl

May 20, 2006, 1:57 PM

Post #12 of 13 (6990 views)

Shortcut

I didn't know about media crema. Thanks! I'll look for it.

Yeah, the coca cola thing is really gross - I have also seen babies drinking it as well. I guess that is why Mexico leads the world in per-capita consumption of coke, get 'em hooked early.

sfmacaws

May 20, 2006, 2:42 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] whipping cream

The fact that many children in Mexico are raised on Coca Cola - it is commonly the only breakfast they get and often is their main source of calories in a day - is not lost on many segments of the mexican population. It is a hot topic of debate but there is no real answer to the problem as long as Coke is available. Sweet soft drinks and fruit drinks are very popular as well so it is not just Coke but the combo of sugar and caffeine in Coca Cola is hard to quit. Pepsi has worked very hard at supplanting Coke in Mexico with some limited success, strange it hasn't been more successful since it is much sweeter than Coke. Now that corn syrup will be allowed in domestic Coke, it might change. I am not conversant enough to tell whether the complaints about Coke are also veiled complaints about Fox, certainly it is a problem for the poor children of Mexico but is it also a way to poke at the president? He was president or vice-president of Coca Cola de Mexico when he retired, his career was in management at Coke.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4