Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Marlene / Moderator

Apr 23, 2006, 1:36 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3800 views)

Shortcut

Price of Gasoline in Tijuana

Can't Post | Private Reply
This isn't very good news for local residents in border cities....

http://www.10news.com/.../8894639/detail.html

Gayla

Apr 24, 2006, 10:53 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3765 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Price of Gasoline in Tijuana

Gas in San Diego is now well over $3.00 a gallon with the average being around $3.15/gallon. AAA, UCAN and the rest of the organizations that monitor gas prices are predicting we'll hit $4/gallon by summer. I can see why the cabbies in Tijuana, Tecate and Mexicali might be upset. At those rates no one on either side of the border is going to be very happy about driving. Everyone is getting hit in the pocketbook. A contractor was interviewed on one of the local TV stations and he was saying it cost in $70 every other day or so to fill up his truck so that he could get to his job sites. It's costing me $40 to fill up a Jetta. OUCH!!

Bloviator

Apr 25, 2006, 9:40 AM

Post #3 of 8 (3744 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the posting. Like an idiot, I have been waiting until I cross the border - Mexicali, Algodones, or SJ Rio Colorado to get "cheap" Mexican gas. Obviously, that was not a good idea.

Rolly

Apr 25, 2006, 12:16 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3733 views)

Shortcut

Help is on the way!

Here is a quote from the Miami Herald 25 April 06

Mexico will lower the price of gasoline by 6 percent along its northern border, breaking a link to gas prices in the southern U.S. after prices spiked, the Finance Secretariat said in a statement.

The reduction, which begins tomorrow, will fix prices at the level registered during the week of April 11-17, the ministry said. The reduction heads off an additional 4.3 percent increase that would have taken effect tomorrow because of increases of gasoline prices in the southern U.S., the ministry said.

The government, through oil monopoly Petroleos Mexicanos, established the link to protect gasoline sales along its northern border because U.S. gasoline prices had been lower than in Mexico before crude oil reached record levels.

Rolly Pirate

Marlene / Moderator

May 9, 2006, 8:01 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3670 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Price of Gasoline in Tijuana

Here we go.... more on Gas

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...509-9999-1n9gas.html

carolyndegroot

Jun 1, 2006, 8:41 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3613 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi,
I was just checking to see if anyone knew what the current prices (average) were now in Mexico for petrol? We plan to be coming into via Nogales and wonder what to expect.
Thanks Carolyn

ncferret

Jun 2, 2006, 9:38 AM

Post #7 of 8 (3598 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carolyndegroot] Price of Gasoline in Tijuana

The price hasn't changed (unlike in the US). Away from the border it's around $2.30 a gallon.

Bloviator

Jun 2, 2006, 1:15 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ncferret] Price of Gasoline in Tijuana

Actually it has changed considerably at the border. About three weeks ago the government changed the rules so that the border areas do not charge prices tied to border US prices, but to Mexican prices. The US prices were killing taxi drivers and others in TJ and other border towns. I'm not sure if it happened at border areas all over the country, but it did in TJ.

Also, prices all over Mexico, do go up slightly from time to time based on a formula set early each year.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4