Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

jaybear

Apr 21, 2006, 7:07 PM

Post #1 of 21 (2000 views)

Shortcut

down again!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Wow! Our internet service was down again today in lower Chula Vista from late morning until early evening. This is worse than I thought it would be when I moved here. I was expecting just occasional outages, mostly during the rainy season.
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

Bloviator

Apr 21, 2006, 7:16 PM

Post #2 of 21 (1977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] down again!

Our service in Villa Nova was also down. We have been here a little more than a year and have had almost no outages. We have been lucky. This is probably the longest we have had.

johanson

Apr 21, 2006, 9:08 PM

Post #3 of 21 (1963 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] down again!

hey guys, what am I missing here? Yes Prodigy Infinitum was out for many hours today, but Prodigy Dialup was not down. As a Prodigy Infinitum customer you are allowed to connect via your telephone line. The dialup # is 765-4344.

Or do you all have Mexico-Wireless? They are apparently re-sellers of Prodigy Infinitum, but do not offer a backup dialup connection.

This is the first Prodigy Infinitum outage I noticed this month. There were two in March each lasting perhaps 8 hours

(This post was edited by johanson on Apr 21, 2006, 9:14 PM)

jaybear

Apr 22, 2006, 4:57 AM

Post #4 of 21 (1937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] down again!

Thanks for putting this in perspective. I was getting concerned that the outages might become a regular thing, which would deep-six my humble attempts to keep a little client work going via the internet. Now I will stop worrying about that and go back to worrying about the leak in the roof.

JayBear

Bloviator

Apr 22, 2006, 5:23 AM

Post #5 of 21 (1934 views)

Shortcut

You're my hero. I had no idea that we could dial up. Now if I could just figure out how to do it, I would be all set the next outage. I'm a total incompetent as to technology. I am sitting here thinking and have no idea how to dial up to get Infinitum. Our second line is used for it and doesn't even have a phone.

johanson

Apr 22, 2006, 5:44 AM

Post #6 of 21 (1929 views)

Shortcut

Also why would you have two telephone lines? The nice thing about DSL is that one can be on line while the other uses the phone. Yes that is what I said. You are supplied, I believe 3, splitters. I used one where the line enters the house and spit the DSL signal there. Well anyway on one side of the split line you have DSL internet, on the other side you have the telephone.

One line, two different uses at the same time

Bloviator

Apr 22, 2006, 7:46 AM

Post #7 of 21 (1907 views)

Shortcut

We were supplied with two lines when we bought the home. At the time I didn't know we could use both phone and internet at the same time - see comment about my technological ignorance. When we have the phone moved to our new home - when as and if Telmex moves it - we will have only one line and - thanks to you and others - I now know that we need only one line.

I've carefully read your post and still don't know how to dial up if necessary - remember my ignorance.

Howard Botz

Apr 22, 2006, 8:48 AM

Post #8 of 21 (1897 views)

Shortcut

OK, Pete...
I am an Infitum customer. When this is down what happens when I dail the 765 number?

Howard in Ajijic

bournemouth

Apr 22, 2006, 9:32 AM

Post #9 of 21 (1881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] down again!

I don't know how to do this, but we had the tech, who set us up when we were in a rental last summer, set up the dial up connection to Telmex. Click on start, click on connect to and in some fashion you need to enter the Ajijic Telmex number there. The computer has to have a phone line connection. Once connected to the number, you are on line the old, slow way but much better than nothing.

johanson

Apr 22, 2006, 9:36 AM

Post #10 of 21 (1881 views)

Shortcut

To create a backup dialup connection you simply have to follow the instructions of the NEW CONNECTION WIZARD an operation that should take 2 to 3 minutes if you know what you are doing, or an hour or two, if you have no idea what I just wrote. I am assuming you have Msft XP. Left click on START and work your way to the Network Connections screen preferably through the "Connect To" link or if you can not find that link, through, the "Control Panel". Once you are at the Network Connections popup screen, look on the left for the "Network Tasks" column and left click on "Create a new Connection" link and up pops the WIZARD. The rest is self explanatory.

Or if this seems too complicated, have your favorite Tech Guru do the setup for you.

(This post was edited by johanson on Apr 22, 2006, 9:38 AM)

Jean

Apr 22, 2006, 12:18 PM

Post #11 of 21 (1860 views)

Shortcut

For a bit more perspective....while living in Penticton, BC, it was not unusual for my ADSL to crap out on me twice a day. Sometimes only for minutes, some times for half an hour before it came back up. I would have given anything for the reliability you have here.

Jean
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

Bloviator

Apr 23, 2006, 6:17 AM

Post #12 of 21 (1800 views)

Shortcut

I really enjoyed the evening without lights, television, or computer. I guess I'll just go with that next time and not stress out. I can always catch up with the momentous events on MexConnect after the power is restored.

I wish I had a favorite Tech guru. There is so much I don't know. I just stumble along on my own, doing what I can and ignoring the rest. I know this really offends and perplexes those of you who are of the "everything's up to date in Kansas City" crowd, but it works for me.

Thanks for trying to help, though. I really appreciate it and wish I were smart enough to take advantage of your expertise.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Apr 23, 2006, 6:19 AM)

jaybear

Apr 23, 2006, 6:59 AM

Post #13 of 21 (1793 views)

Shortcut

We use Jorge Garcia, who was recommended by others on this forum. Call 765-2228; leave message. He charges 200 pesos per hour, I believe. Returns calls promptly and shows up when expected (sometimes earlier). He has upgraded computer memory, installed software, fixed problems. Speaks colloquial English he picked up from clients; hence expressions like "23 skiddoo"--JUST JOKING!

JayBear

lmaxine

Apr 23, 2006, 8:55 AM

Post #14 of 21 (1774 views)

Shortcut

I'll say this about Jorge Garcia-I've never had a software or hardware problem that he hasn't been able to fix. He's USUALLY reliable about time, but sometimes he forgets to let you know he'll be late or can't make it. He may think he'll be just so much time at someone else's place, but it takes longer, and he doesn't always let the following clients know. So, I chase him around and when he does get here, it's worth it!
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

Bloviator

Apr 23, 2006, 9:24 AM

Post #15 of 21 (1767 views)

Shortcut

Thanks very much for the reference. We will be moving all our stuff from one house to another soon and I will really need help.

jaybear

Apr 28, 2006, 9:00 PM

Post #16 of 21 (1601 views)

Shortcut

I was online about 11 a.m. this morning when the Prodigy Infinitum/Telmex internet connection went down. (Need I say, "Again!"?) Of course, the first thing I thought is that it would be a good time to try to use the dial-up connection, but then I realized I had not printed out the phone number, which I could not access since the internet connection was down. (Catch 22-1/2.) Ah, well, the connection suddenly came on tonight about 11 p.m. Could someone actually be working at this hour? Life is so full of surprises! NOW I have printed out the phone number and will try it.

I would be interested to know how wide the Prodigy outages are. We are in lower Chula Vista. Do the outages reach as far as Chapala to the east and Jocotepec to the west? Would they reach as far as Guad?

JayBear

Howard Botz

Apr 29, 2006, 7:04 AM

Post #17 of 21 (1568 views)

Shortcut

It was out (again) in upper Ajijic.

Howard

johanson

Apr 29, 2006, 10:33 AM

Post #18 of 21 (1540 views)

Shortcut

Yes, my ADSL was down until about 10:15 PM Friday night as I believe it was in all of Ajijic. As I recollect, Prodigy ADSL was out for about 8 hours two times in March, and for about the same time, two times in April. Their dialup kept on working, though. All you need to do is configure your computer to connect to the internet via dialup, when your ADSL is down, a one time 2 to 3 minute job for a technician. It could take you a little longer.

After the dialup configuration, any time your ADSL is down, all you would have to do is connect a telephone line to your computer and click on the dialup icon, and you are in business, something you can not do with either Mexico-Wireless or with the cable company once they begin offering internet, here, lakeside.

jaybear

Apr 29, 2006, 12:57 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1519 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the tip on the dialup connection! HOWEVER, I would not be able to exchange large files on a dialup connection, so it is only useful for notifying clients and friends that our high-speed internet connection ( and Skype along with it!) is not working! Or, for viewing emails from people so I will know who is trying to get in touch and send files!

Thus, I am looking for an alternative in case I happen to have a rush project going on when the high speed conneciton goes down. I can't afford to start work on a project and then fail to communicate! I am wondering how far I would need to drive to get to someone who was connected. Of course, if it is just a matter that sometimes Prodigy is down, and other times (but not the same times), Lagunanet is down, this would be less of a problem, maybe.

JayBear

johanson

Apr 29, 2006, 1:47 PM

Post #20 of 21 (1512 views)

Shortcut

Since I have been here I have never witnessed a time when both my Laguna and Prodigy broadband connections were down at the same time. If you need to have continuous connectivity, you might consider using both ISPs like some of the folks do down here.

You could combine them using say a $200 US or so NETGEAR - ProSafe™ Gigabit VPN Firewall 25 with 4 Gigabit LAN and Dual WAN Port Switch thereby ensuring connectivity

www.netgear.com/products/details/FVS124G.php

debartiste

Apr 29, 2006, 7:40 PM

Post #21 of 21 (1479 views)

Shortcut

Just signed up from Chicago

Hello everyone. Forgive me, this is my first post to this group, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I wonder if my little Mick icon will show up. Consider this a test, not meant to annoy anyone:-) And actually I'm a female. Just a stones fan, therefore the photo that I hope shows up.

I'm an advertising art director, laid off, (as most of my friends are) ...and I paint, large abstracts...... and I want to get out of here and start a new life as a full-time artist ASAP:-) So here I am.

Hola:-)

In Reply To

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4