Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

bbc

Apr 14, 2006, 7:12 AM

Post #1 of 18 (5874 views)

Shortcut

Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm going to visit Patzcuaro in May or June. What kind of weather should I expect? I plan to fly into Guadalajara and take the bus to Patzcuaro. Will I need to rent a car when I get there? (I want to explore some of the towns around the lake). Thanks for your help!

Anonimo

Apr 14, 2006, 8:39 AM

Post #2 of 18 (5863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bbc] Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

Hi, I didn't want your question to get lost amid the many replies on SOO-ROO.

May is said to be hot in the daytime, although we should have cool nights. June is similar, although if the rainy season starts up, it should be cooler, with afternoon and night time rains.

Wait a bit, and we'll surely get some differing opinions on this. ;-)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

MazDee

Apr 14, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #3 of 18 (5860 views)

Shortcut

It is not necessary to rent a car. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. Most of the taxistas are familiar with the lake villages and would be something of a guide. Last summer a taxi for all day was less than $50. US. The driver took us wherever we wanted to stop around the lake and waited. He spoke English.

Bubba

Apr 14, 2006, 10:52 AM

Post #4 of 18 (5841 views)

Shortcut

Patzcuara is a true craphole. What a worthless dump. The local Purepecha food is beyond bad.

There is, however, one good restaurant.

Cha, Cha, Cha. The chef there spent some time in India and Thailand and actually learned how to cook. Otherwise, prepare to eat tasteless crap.

bbc

Apr 15, 2006, 4:53 AM

Post #5 of 18 (5778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

That seems a rather harsh assessment. What are the problems?

Anonimo

Apr 15, 2006, 6:12 AM

Post #6 of 18 (5776 views)

Shortcut

I remember from the Bible that one man's Mede is another man's Persian; another way of saying it is:

Saludos,
Anonimo

Bubba

Apr 15, 2006, 10:12 AM

Post #7 of 18 (5749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

I take that back. Anonimo is right, of course. If I really meant what I said earlier in the thread, I would not insist on going back to Patzcuaro and Uruapan every year. That was the fiend Mr. Hyde who has access to my computer, not I, Dr. Jekyl.

jerezano

Apr 16, 2006, 10:12 AM

Post #8 of 18 (5676 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

Our friend Bubba is always good for a laugh. And he is always the Devil's Advocate to stimulate our thoughts.

Nevertheless, his assessment of Patzcuaro as a good place to visit but not to live rings a bell with me. You will enjoy your visit there very much, and like Bubba says the food may not be to your taste. The only good restaurant IMHO (french cuisine) folded several years ago. However, Bubba may be right about the Cha Cha Cha. I haven't tried that one.

The big problem with Patzcuaro is the tourist bolth gringo and mative. So, prices have escalated a bit to match. But the quality and the assortment of things to buy have also expanded. I have seen some extremely desireable and unmatchable antiques, sculpltures, furniture, etc., there. Unfortunately my income would not allow me to indulge those desires.

Winters there are very cold and you will note the houses have plentiful fireplaces and also that they have been plentifuly used.

The surrounding country is beautiful pine forest.

Adios. jerezano.

Bubba

Apr 16, 2006, 11:37 AM

Post #9 of 18 (5659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

jerezano:

The chef at Cha Cha Cha, who is a native of Patzcuaro, spent some time in India and Thailand and is a huge fan of Thai food. The night we were there we noted both Thai shrimp soup and Thai shrimp noodles on the menu. The place was crowded and they were out of these dishes that night. While, ordinarily I would be leery of ordering Thai food in a place such as Patzcuaro where the food is rather bland in my opinion, if he is still around next year, I will definitely try these dishes.

This guy is an innovative chef. Since he was out of the Thai dishes, we tried pasta in a cream sauce with zucchini flowers - a boring sounding dish - but, as it turned out, a quite good selection with complex flavors. I had the pork in raisin, prune and apricot sauce and felt it was also quite good. His Aztec Soup, however, was dull in my opinion.

We also had lunch at the restaurant at Casa Iturbe and my food, which was supposedly of the region, was bland. I believe that that was simply my misfortune and I would definitely give that place another try.

I had to taste the local famous ice cream on the square and also was disppointed in that. Too bad I didn´t try the shrimp ice cream in Dolores Hidalgo for comparison´s sake.

We stayed at the Casa Encantada B&B which I recommend if you don´t mind the $100USD fare. Unfortunately, their coffee is American swill and their breakfasts uninspired.

It seems clear to me that Patzcuaro real estate is a bit overpriced. There seems to be some speculation going on there. If I were looking about for a home in Patzcuaro, I would proceed with caution. On the other hand, if you look about in the country you may find a deal.

To me, as I have stated elsewhere, Patzcuara is a somewhat melancholic place offering few diversions outside of depressive reflection. If you insist on a mountain town, I suggest Tapalpa, Jalisco where, once you have reflected to excess you can escape to nearby Guadalajara for a few hours and go to a movie or something.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 16, 2006, 1:03 PM)

Anonimo

Apr 16, 2006, 6:47 PM

Post #10 of 18 (5607 views)

Shortcut

To me, as I have stated elsewhere, Patzcuara is a somewhat melancholic place offering few diversions outside of depressive reflection. If you insist on a mountain town, I suggest Tapalpa, Jalisco where, once you have reflected to excess you can escape to nearby Guadalajara for a few hours and go to a movie or something.

Oh, I am laughing my butt off! That line about "depressive reflection" is so directed in its targeting.
But, Bubba, you forget that Morelia is less than 40 minutes from Pátzcuaro, and has Cinépolis. (that is, if you can find anything of interest to watch), and it offers a reasonable selection of restaurants.
Shopping can be fun also, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Might Tapalpa, Jalisco be as cold or even colder than Pátzcuaro?

Saludos,
Anonimo

Gringal

Apr 17, 2006, 7:46 AM

Post #11 of 18 (5568 views)

Shortcut

"To me, as I have stated elsewhere, Patzcuara is a somewhat melancholic place offering few diversions outside of depressive reflection" (Bubba)
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Belly laugh, for sure.

The Bubba must have found the local graveyard in which to banter with his skull. Thus, the drama of "depressive reflection". Hey, I know people who can manage that on a sunny bench in SMA, a beach full of frolicking kids or a cafe on the Mediterranean. You just need the pocket Yorick.
The "elsewhere" was the real estate forum, where it festered for a day before disappearing.

Patz is a fine place for any number of other activities. Art teachers choose it for vacation seminars. Lovers choose it for strolling and sneaking kisses. Gourmands head for Cha Cha Cha and sigh with gustatory satisfaction. Real estate developers have discovered it. Personally, I like the sound of the wind in the pines.

Bubba

Apr 17, 2006, 12:24 PM

Post #12 of 18 (5546 views)

Shortcut

Anonimo & Gringal:

Are you folks making sport of Bubba?

It is hard for Bubba to imagine a baker laughing his butt off. Bakers do not laugh their butts off.

How dare you compare the regional backwater of Morelia, with its secondary theaters offering lame Hollywood entertainment with the splendors of El Rancho Grande with its new Liverpool Department Store where Tapatio matrons can waste the excessive spoils of their crooked husbands on useless hand-me-downs from Paris, If Guadalajara is Kansas City then Morelia is Des Moines. Both places should be shot for their own good.

Aha! The charm of Mexico is, as is the charm of Indre et Loire, in its what it is, not its phony malls selling overpriced crap to hayseeds seeking status. Shame on you for falling so fecklessly into Bubba´s trap for diletantes.

Gringal

Apr 17, 2006, 4:55 PM

Post #13 of 18 (5517 views)

Shortcut

"Shame on you for falling so fecklessly into Bubba´s trap for diletantes. "

Is that what it was?

Bubba

Apr 18, 2006, 6:33 AM

Post #14 of 18 (5476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

Gringal. Just funning you guys. You and Anonimo help make these foums more interesting and I know how much you love Bubba´s posts.

Chumley

Apr 19, 2006, 5:19 AM

Post #15 of 18 (5428 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Have you always been this delusional, or has it just been since you learned to read and write?

dolores57

Apr 19, 2006, 5:36 AM

Post #16 of 18 (5425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

Good one Chumley!

Bubba

Apr 19, 2006, 7:26 AM

Post #17 of 18 (5412 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chumley] Visit to Patzcuaro - Questions

I´ve always been delusional but never petty, Chumley. But I´ll have you know that I have no intention of acknowledging that you even exist if I ever am unfortunate enough to pass you by in El Jardin. I associate with whom I wish to associate - is that clear?

Oh, sorry, I spent two days in your one day town and have not been the same since.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Apr 19, 2006, 8:14 AM)

SkyMountain

Apr 21, 2006, 7:06 PM

Post #18 of 18 (5329 views)

Shortcut

I LOVE Patzcuaro and cannot relate to any of the negative viewpoints at all. Been living here for five weeks and secretly hope the word does not get out that it IS a magical pueblo (Shhhh).Feel free to email me privately if you have questions. You can catch the combies for 4 pesos locally...around the Lake 7 pesos? Not sure. But I catch ém around town.
Highest Truth Light Love Wisdom

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4