Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Esteban

Apr 4, 2006, 12:55 PM

Post #1 of 10 (3864 views)

Shortcut

Cleaning, mopping or whatever...Marble floors

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have been trying to get our marble floors to look good. After mopping, they have a water stained look. I've been told by the locals to use a little vinegar in water and not soap. But, that's not working. I then tried to mop them with a little soapy water and to no avail. Any hints out there?

Thanks

rainer

Apr 4, 2006, 3:05 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3852 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Cleaning, mopping or whatever...Marble floors

Have you tried "washing" with a little soap and then "rinsing" with vinegar??
Smile

Esteban

Apr 4, 2006, 3:33 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rainer] Cleaning, mopping or whatever...Marble floors

I'll have to try that next on a little test area. Thanks

margojean

Apr 8, 2006, 6:23 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3806 views)

Shortcut

Any kind of acid, incluing vinegar, will dissolve marble and damage it. We have been advised to use no water, except for sticky spots, but just the special oil sold for mopping marble and the huge wide cotton mops you see around in the shops.
margojean

Cynthia7

Apr 9, 2006, 6:55 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3767 views)

Shortcut

Re: [margojean] Cleaning, mopping or whatever...Marble floors

When I came to Mexico 20 years ago they mopped everything with kerosene or petrolio. I don't know if it would work on marble but it surely keeps the bugs away. We mopped wood floors with a dust mop with old English Oil on it. They have been washing the marble steps of Baltimore every day for hundreds of years and no harm so far. i would thing a damp mop..wrung out and no excess water..would do the job..but maybe not.

toocrazy

May 4, 2006, 4:49 AM

Post #6 of 10 (3706 views)

Shortcut

Try this simple home solution: Mix liquid dishwashing detergent with warm water and use a sponge to clean your marble, also great for windows. Need to thoroughly rinse to remove all soap residue -- a buildup could damage the stone, according to the Marble Institute of America. Then buff dry with a soft cloth; never air-dry. Anything acidic -- like lemon, vinegar or bathroom cleansers -- can eat into marble. Hair dyes may also leave permanent stains. And the alcohol in aftershave lotions and perfumes can cause etching. There are special cleaning solutions for marble on the market but they will cost you and cost you.

Esteban

May 4, 2006, 2:13 PM

Post #7 of 10 (3680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [toocrazy] Cleaning, mopping or whatever...Marble floors

Sounds like a grand task with my 6000 sq. feet of marble. Thanks for the info.

sfmacaws

May 4, 2006, 4:26 PM

Post #8 of 10 (3671 views)

Shortcut

Leapin Lizards Batman!! You have 6000 sq ft of marble? Did you move to a palace?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Judy in Ags

May 29, 2006, 10:18 PM

Post #9 of 10 (3589 views)

Shortcut

I'm sure thankful not to have marble floors, as beautiful as they are.

mkdutch

Jun 5, 2006, 5:58 PM

Post #10 of 10 (3553 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Cleaning, mopping or whatever...Marble floors

All of the floors in our 3BR, 2Bath home have marble flooring, including the laundry and all closets. Our maid comes in one day each week for 3 hours. Part of her duties are to first sweep the floor and then mop it with a diluted Pin Sol solution. That's it. The floors come out with a nice sheen that is not slippery, and the disinfectant in Pin-Sol helps keep the critters at bay. Haven't noticed any discoloration or other "damage" to the marble in the 6 years we've owned the place. We had it buffed and sealed when we bought it; the house was 11 years old at the time (the guy did a lousy job). We added a new bedroom and marble floor 3 years ago. Didn't seal it. It gets the same treatment. No problem.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4