Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

bournemouth

Apr 8, 2006, 7:27 AM

Post #1 of 16 (4229 views)

Shortcut

Norton Anti-virus

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone had problems renewing their Norton subscription on line from Mexico? I tried twice yesterday, to no effect, using our Laredo mail forwarding address. I wonder if that is the problem as Norton can certainly see that the request is coming through Prodigy Mexico.

jennifer rose

Apr 8, 2006, 8:12 AM

Post #2 of 16 (4222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Norton Anti-virus

Can't Post |
I've been downloading Norton and other software all the time for the past decade here, with nary a problem. And I use my Mexican billing address, because I have no other. Of course, I don't use Prodigy.

Bloviator

Apr 8, 2006, 8:23 AM

Post #3 of 16 (4220 views)

Shortcut

I could not renew my Anti-Virus over the internet. Had to buy it NoB and install it.

johanson / Moderator

Apr 8, 2006, 9:39 AM

Post #4 of 16 (4208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Norton Anti-virus

I too have been downloading Norton for ages. The last time I got a new yearly subscription was 2 weeks ago on my backup laptop. No problem. I used my US credit card and gave them my US address.

Papirex

Apr 8, 2006, 10:52 AM

Post #5 of 16 (4200 views)

Shortcut

The problem may be if the billing address on your credit card does not match the address of your mail forwarder.

One of the vendors on eBay that I bought some stuff from would not ship to an address different than the billing address on my credit card. Since I have enabled online billing with all my credit cards, I receive no regular mail from them, so I just changed the billing address for one of them to match Merkalinkís address in Texas, temporarily. Merkalink is a company I use that will ship items to me in Mexico.

I too have been using Norton for years, and renewing it online. When I first started using Norton several years ago, I bought it as a download. I was living in Mexico at that time. I use a US hotmail address when communicating with Norton. I use my US address and a credit card with the same billing address. That may be the key, having both a US mailing address and a US issued credit card.

I frequently receive offers to upgrade, etc. as downloads from Norton via Email. I get reminders from them when it is time to renew my subscription, etc. I believe I enabled them to contact me via Email when I registered the first product I bought from them.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

bournemouth

Apr 8, 2006, 11:00 AM

Post #6 of 16 (4197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Norton Anti-virus

Thanks Rex, but our mailing address is our billing address for the credit card so that is not the problem. I'll try again later and see what happens.

bournemouth

Apr 9, 2006, 8:36 AM

Post #7 of 16 (4168 views)

Shortcut

My Norton renewal saga has finally finished. We tried again today - total failure. I called the US Symantec store - having first called the credit card company to make sure it was not them - and got through to a nice young man in Bombay, who renewed the subscription over the phone - you need to be on line during this process. The on-line renewal system was not submitting the charge to the credit card company and obviously has some problems.

The number shown on the web site for the US store is incorrect - doesn't that just make you feel comfortable? For those who may need it, call 1-800-441-7234.

Rolly

Apr 9, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #8 of 16 (4164 views)

Shortcut

All this make me wonder why pay for something that can be free? I am very satisfied using AVG anti-virus free edition. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5

Rolly Pirate

bournemouth

Apr 9, 2006, 8:51 AM

Post #9 of 16 (4161 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Norton Anti-virus

Now Rolly, if you'd told me yesterday I could have saved $32+ and a big headache!!!! But - thanks for the information anyway, it is appreciated.

caldwelld

Apr 9, 2006, 10:09 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Norton Anti-virus

Ditto for me a week ago.
dondon

rainer

Apr 9, 2006, 10:19 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4150 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, I just had to "redo" my computer, so your advice came just in time.
Smile

johanson / Moderator

Apr 9, 2006, 11:41 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4140 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rainer] Norton Anti-virus

One of the disadvantage of being a nerd is that you have to always have the newest toy. And if you still maintain a residence NoB it only gets worse. Both here in Mexico and NoB I have my new tower (desktop) and my old one, that makes four. And of course I have my old and now my new laptop. That makes six computers. When I buy a new computer, which is way too often, I always take the Norton or the McAfee antivirus package, but upon renewal I often choose the free AVG anti-virus program.

There is still something in me that makes me think that if I have to pay for the Anti-virus program, that it has to be better than the one I got for free. So far though, knock on wood, I have not yet had a computer infected while running an updated copy of Norton McAfee or the free AVG anti-virus program.

The same thing goes with anti-adaware and anti-spyware software. Although I love my "Webroot spy sweeper", the one I paid for, Microsoft's free Anti-spyware software, the one that is in Beta stage, works just fine as well.

Is one better than the other? Heck, I don't know, it's just that somewhere I learned, if it's free, it can't be as good as the one you pay for

Papirex

Apr 9, 2006, 1:14 PM

Post #13 of 16 (4130 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Norton Anti-virus

Pete, Youíve got me beat by two computers. I only have two tower desktops, and two laptops, and one of the desktops belongs to my wife.

Like you, I also have a feeling that if it is free, it might not be as good as a paid program. Thatís probably a false belief, but it nags at me.

I have a daughter that is a supervisor in the computer department of a large corporation. When she first started with the company one of her duties was to remove any viruses from the companyís computers. They have over 550 computers and they used to get about one virus per month on one of the computers.

Some of the computers had McAfee, and some of them had Norton anti-virus programs loaded in them at that time. She told me that the infected computers were always the ones that had McAfee in them. Norton caught them all, but McAfee let some of them in.

Her personal experiences and recommendation have made me a die hard Norton fan. I do think that something is better than nothing, and earlier today I sent the link in an Email that Rolly posted to all my kids, nieces and nephews and their kids. Some of them are college students and some of them are no doubt on a tight budget.

The same daughter that gave me the advice on Norton also told me that you need to run at least three anti-spy ware / ad ware programs to get them all. They are all very good and they do detect most spy ware / ad ware, but some of them are always missed. I read the same advice on one of the sites by a company that sells anti- Spy ware programs, although they advise having at least two programs.

Sometimes after I have run a couple of those programs, the third or fourth program I run will find something the others have missed.

I have four anti- spy ware programs in my computers. Anti/spy ware is included in Norton, and in my Zone Alarm Pro firewall, both paid programs. I also use the free Spybot program http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ See, I donít always avoid free stuff.

Iím also using a free trail version of Spyware Doctor, I donít think it is available anymore for free. A Google search for spy ware will have many results for free programs I figure four is enough.

You must be cautious when buying an anti-spy ware program. I have read reports that some companies will wave a red flag at some innocuous stuff just to get you to buy their programs.

Whenever I run the Shields Up! Program, http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
My computers are always described as invisible and a non-existent computer to any hacker.

Itís kind of a sad commentary that we have to do so much to keep the vandals from damaging our property.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Ivester

May 19, 2006, 1:55 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Norton Anti-virus

Well, here's my personal horror story about Norton Anti-Virus. I noticed some odd stuff happening on my Sony VAIO desktop, which was running Windows XP with Norton set to auto-update, auto-run on startup. The monitor display was stuttering, programs slow to load, along with other performance problems. I checked the Norton program, and it had been deleted; it was gone! I tried to re-install with the Norton backup disk, and the computer wouldn't allow the disk to run its install program. I had some local geeks look at the computer, and they confirmed that a nasty bug had gotten in despite Norton, had proceeded to erase Norton, and then wouldn't let the Norton disk do its thing!

They had to do a complete wipe of the hard drive (fortunately all of our important files were backed up), and for anti-virus programs they installed AVG, Ad-Aware, and--to replace Explorer and Outlook Express--Firefox and Thunderbird.

Guess what--no problems since then, even though our web-surfing habits have not changed, and we keep the same email list. The geeks' theory was that Microsoft's web and email programs are so full of holes that they allow all sorts of evildoers to get in, despite Norton. So they recommend these other programs to just about everybody who's had major virus attacks. After this trip through the Twilight Zone, I think I believe 'em.

Rolly

May 19, 2006, 2:12 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4078 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ivester] Norton Anti-virus

I use ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, AVG antiviral, AdSubtract (love it), and Anti-Spyware. I have been happy with the overlapping protection -- never had a problem. Although there is a strange thing with Hotmail -- it often turns off AdSubtract.

Rolly Pirate

Ivester

May 19, 2006, 4:05 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4069 views)

Shortcut

Isn't Hotmail a Microsoft product? Maybe Gates & Co are trying to kill off other ad-stoppers so they can sell theirs, or maybe just so they can get in more of their own ads.

I have a friend who's a retired systems analyst, and he hates everything Microsoft with a vengeance. I believe he managed to clear Windows off his new notebook and go the Linux route.

He's a good source of Microsoft jokes:
What does Microsoft do when Windows blanks out your monitor? They declare darkness to be the new standard.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4