Don't be late to church.

Rolly Pirate

Bloviator

Apr 1, 2006, 1:01 PM

Post #2 of 31 (1948 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

Can't Post | Private Reply
That's exactly what we need Lakeside. Now it will begin to get light about 7:30 and the sun will actually be up no later than 8:00. I'll be sitting on my terraza with my tequila on the rocks watching the sun go down over Jocotepec at 9:00 in the evening. Way past my beddy by.

Esteban

Apr 1, 2006, 1:06 PM

Post #3 of 31 (1944 views)

Shortcut

Does anyone know why Mexico uses Daylight savings time? Almost everyone I know DOESN'T have a watch. Personally, I could do without it.

johnv

Apr 1, 2006, 5:08 PM

Post #4 of 31 (1912 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

They never used to use daylight savings here. Standard time was applied year round. I hate daylight savings time and really like it to get dark early. This is an example of Mexico trying to keep up with the Jonses.

Kimpatsu Hekigan

Apr 1, 2006, 7:14 PM

Post #5 of 31 (1892 views)

Shortcut

Except the State of Sonora, which follows Arizona's lead and does not observe Daylight Saving Time.

Daylight Saving Time in Mexico

FWIW,

-- K.H.

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.
After enlightenment: Chop wood, haul water.

caldwelld

Apr 2, 2006, 8:07 AM

Post #6 of 31 (1856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

It is a business related thing primarily so Mx biz can stay in cinc with US and Can without a gut wrenching change in habit. It is also (and strongly sold by the govt as) an energy conservation thing. On Friday Tv Azteca had a long piece on their morning program about the amount of energy saved by Mx thru the dylite saving program. The saving is significant by the way and it is even more significant the further north one goes. Farmers (particularly dairy farmers) hate it because they cannot convince their cows to accept it and they (the cows) continue to want to be milked at the same time (relative to the universe) each day. Tourists and old farts don't like it apparently because it upsets their drinking hour(s).
dondon

doogie

Apr 2, 2006, 2:55 PM

Post #7 of 31 (1815 views)

Shortcut

OMIGOD!! This "daylight savings" sickness has spread to Mexico?? I had no idea. Mexico didn't used to do this, but things do change. One of the things I liked about Arizona was that they didn't buy into this BS. Well, this isn't gonna dissuade me from moving SOB next year, but I am disappointed.
I could bemoan this as yet another example of the Americanization of Mexico, but (now hold on there a minute ye horde of Patriotic red[white and blue]necks) I'm not going to. Don't want to open that can of worms again ;-)
Doogie,
Tapatío de corazón

johanson

Apr 2, 2006, 3:38 PM

Post #8 of 31 (1802 views)

Shortcut

Re: [doogie] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

Not all Mexicans hate daylight savings time. Too some it makes a great deal of sense. I just asked one Mexican and he told me that the majority of his friends like Daylight savings time. It's just like in America. I only wish that it always meant an extra hour of sleep. I'm tired today

DoDi2

Apr 2, 2006, 4:10 PM

Post #9 of 31 (1799 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

I find it very confusing when I'm visiting Oaxaca. My friends live in a rural farming town and I get invites to dinner or various occasions when I'm there... but I have no idea which time they're telling me to show up because some people use daylight savings and others don't. Older people almost never mean daylight savings time, but I really never know and have to remember to ask. It's mysterious to me that everyone else just seems to 'know' what they mean depending on who's talking.

Thank God for Mexican time because it gives me hope that if I show up an hour late nobody will mind.

jennifer rose

Apr 2, 2006, 4:48 PM

Post #10 of 31 (1786 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Daylight savings time started in Mexico over a decade ago, and since it came about as a result of a Presidential Commission on Adopting Daylight Savings Time (that's a commission appointed by the Mexican president), I'd be hesitant to tag it with Americanization. Europe switches its clocks, too.

Papirex

Apr 2, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #11 of 31 (1786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

Daylight savings makes a lot of sense. Especially for a business that must communicate and be in sync with other branches of the same business in a certain time span. It can be expensive to not be able to reach a department when you need to.

In 1983 I was working for a multi-national company. Our branch office was located in Anchorage, Alaska. We had a contract to do a large construction job in the state capital, Juneau. I was sent to live in Juneau for a couple of years to do the job.

At that time there were three time zones in Alaska. There should have been four, but Yukon Time was skipped. Alaska is a huge place, four time zones is the same number that all the lower 48 states have. Juneau should have been on Yukon time, but it was on Pacific Time, Anchorage was on Alaska Time. That was a two-hour difference.

The normal workday for construction if you are not working overtime in Alaska is from 7 AM to 3:30 PM with a 30-minute lunch break. Our office in Anchorage did not open until 8 AM Alaska time. If I needed to call the office to talk to one of the engineers, etc. I had to wait until 10 AM Pacific time. I had been working three hours by then. If our office needed to contact me, they had to call before I left the jobsite for the day at 1:30 PM their time. There was only a 3-½ hour window of time that I could be in touch with my home office each day.

On a large construction project there are many change orders, and changes to specifications. Failure to implement or co-ordinate any changes in a timely manner is expensive. It is critical that the engineering staff be able to communicate with the people in the field conveniently. No cell phones in those days.

In the late 1980s Alaska consolidated into basically one time zone, Alaska Time. Only a few of the far western Aleutian Islands remain on Aleutian time. If you think people bitch about changing time a couple of times a year, you should have heard what they had to say about changing to a different time zone permanently.

While the energy savings for an individual home or business may be small, collectively across an entire country the energy savings are huge. Less energy used means less fuel burned. Less fuel burned means less pollution.

Personally I don’t consider it a hardship to change my clocks twice a year before I go to bed on a Saturday night. Now that I am retired I find it even less of a bother than it was when I was still working. My schedule in retirement is no schedule. Who cares what time it is?

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Apr 2, 2006, 4:57 PM)

Rolly

Apr 2, 2006, 5:04 PM

Post #12 of 31 (1778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

What time is it? Humm...early Spring, I think.

Rolly Pirate

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Apr 2, 2006, 5:53 PM

Post #13 of 31 (1765 views)

Shortcut

Rollys got the right idea....
Getting older and still not down here.

sfmacaws

Apr 2, 2006, 6:17 PM

Post #14 of 31 (1759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

I'm still not sure what time it is. You know how cell phones always have the right time because they get it from the local tower? Well, neither of our cell phones have switched to DST. We haven't really been anywhere today so we're not sure if the tower is just not right or maybe the Yucatan doesn't switch? I don't remember ever hearing about it one way or the other. I guess we'll have to go out and walk to the local bar for a drink so we can find out what time it is! Mimi has a dentist appt in the morning so it actually matters.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Apr 2, 2006, 6:56 PM

Post #15 of 31 (1747 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

"I guess we'll have to go out and walk to the local bar for a drink so we can find out what time it is!"

That's my favorite way. No matter, standard time, day light time, it's always Miller Time.

Attachments: Happyface-beer mug.gif (43.1 KB)

jennifer rose

Apr 2, 2006, 7:01 PM

Post #16 of 31 (1742 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Why not simply call 030 for the time of day? It's another Telmex service, just like calling 031 for a wake-up call.

Ed and Fran

Apr 2, 2006, 7:11 PM

Post #17 of 31 (1739 views)

Shortcut

I only wish that it always meant an extra hour of sleep. I'm tired today

You're retired aren't you? What does daylight savings time have to do with how long you sleep? Just get up later on the day time springs ahead. That's what we did. ;-)

E&F

caldwelld

Apr 2, 2006, 7:23 PM

Post #18 of 31 (1733 views)

Shortcut

While you say you abor the jingoism you appear to have no trouble believing that everything good and bad was invented in the USA. In fact daylight saving is not an invention of the USA it was first used by Germans in WWI and had been contmeplated by the Brits, Irish and other europeans long before. It just plain makes sense in the temperate zones where there is a substantial difference between summer and winter sunlight hours. As zI said the main reason in Mx is to keep the biz hours in cinc with the rest of the world. What is fundamentally wrong with that??
dondon

Papirex

Apr 2, 2006, 8:04 PM

Post #19 of 31 (1719 views)

Shortcut

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/ Jonna, click on this link and download the Atomic Clock sync program to your computer. After you have installed it on your computer you can click on the icon, then click on the ping now button and it will automatically update the time on your computer clock by whatever years, months, days, minutes, or seconds required.

Your computers clock is checked against any of several Atomic clocks in different locations. It will automatically change the time for daylight savings or standard time for the time zone you have configured. The same way a ZioScan clock does. You don’t need to be within radio range though as it is using the Internet.

I have put the program on my start menu.

If you do go to the bar, have one for me.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

johanson

Apr 2, 2006, 8:06 PM

Post #20 of 31 (1716 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

Ed and Fran wrote "You are retired aren't you?" Well I guess so. But I help out three hours a day at a local ISP answering technical questions and I write a weekly tech article in a newspaper, then I am moderator of a few forums, one of which is here, then I have to meet with my friends for beer, and then there's Rotary,,,/// and then and then

Ed and Fran

Apr 2, 2006, 8:13 PM

Post #21 of 31 (1708 views)

Shortcut

Sorry to hear you had to do all that Sunday morning........

johanson

Apr 2, 2006, 8:23 PM

Post #22 of 31 (1700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday AM

You got me. I guess what I meant was that I am a creature of habit and, if I didn't get up on time then I would miss breakfast with my friends, and have a much shorter time to do projects before it was time to go to church.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Apr 2, 2006, 8:35 PM

Post #23 of 31 (1694 views)

Shortcut

Why not look at your profile and see what time the server says it is??

sfmacaws

Apr 2, 2006, 8:41 PM

Post #24 of 31 (1691 views)

Shortcut

OK, back from the bar. I had to have several drinks to fully cogitate the new time <g>

Yes, the time changed here. My cell phone had finally switched by the time I got back from the bar.

I don't have Telmex as I don't have a landline phone anymore. I sold it.

My computer did change because I have it set to change but that didn't tell me if it was correct. I usually depend on the cell phone for the right time wherever I am because we travel so much, I just didn't realize that it would take all day to get the new time. Makes you think there is someone who actually has to show up and change it.

We get the locals discount at the bar (20%) so the bartender thought it was funny that I didn't know whether the time had changed or not. Luckily he knows us and still gave us the discount, it really was a typical tourist question.

I have an atomic clock but it can't hear Boulder, CO from here so it is wrong too.

I'm feeling much better knowing the correct time - the several añejo y coca light's might have helped as well.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

DoDi2

Apr 2, 2006, 9:09 PM

Post #25 of 31 (1683 views)

Shortcut

ok..I'm a little tipsy rihte now myself ahaving just ome back fform a diez ano birthday party for my friends' kid.

What are ew talking abuut?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4