Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Rick Coons

Mar 30, 2006, 6:09 PM

Post #1 of 11 (4994 views)

Shortcut

Chetumal

Can't Post | Private Reply
Looking for any info on living and working in Chetumal, anyone out there that has spent any time there...????

sfmacaws

Mar 30, 2006, 11:17 PM

Post #2 of 11 (4985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rick Coons] Chetumal

First off, do a search on this forum using Chetumal, Calderitas and Bacalar and you'll find some discussions on the area.

I have spent some time in the area, more recently as we have friends who are developing some land in Calderitas, basically a suburb of Chetumal. I've looked at some property there and I'm still pondering it.

Personally, I like Chetumal. In the 12 years I've been coming down here it has grown both in size and sophistication. There is what I consider a great mix of small town feel, urban city, big box stores, little tiendas, a lot of history and a strong Mayan presence. The buildings are tropical modern, ie most of them get wiped out regularly by hurricanes and no one builds anything permanent except with concrete blocks.

There is already a beginning boom and there will be further expansion of the area and prices. The building of the cruise ship dock in Majajual, while far away and seemingly disconnected has had an effect. A stronger effect has been recent political power that has centered on local Chetumal families. Power brings development and wealth and pork barrel projects, you can see all that in Chetumal now.

It has a lot to offer in location, not on the caribbean so not under so much financial and political pressure by money so big you can't conceive it. It has a backwater tropical vibe that appeals to me. Still, the bay of Chetumal is huge and bayfront land has the benefit of cool breezes and beautiful vistas along with killer hurricanes. There are many diversions in the area: boating, fishing, diving, and swimming in the bay. Tons of wildlife, thousands of types of birds, marine creatures, manatees, monkeys, jaguars even.

It's on the border with Belize which opens a lot of easy trips and interesting sites, both on the mainland and by sea. It's close to some fascinating Mayan ruins and in the midst of a fascinating present day Mayan culture. Did I mention it had a great history? and the local Mayan museum is wonderful.

There is a lot of opportunity in Chetumal now, and the buzz of future development is in the air. Will it all really happen? I don't know, probably some of it is inevitable. Meanwhile there are little towns on the bayou's that serve great shrimp, lots of nooks and crannies to explore especially by boat and a pretty relaxed, tropical feel to the place. It's hard to get worked up about anything as hot as it usually is. That's the clinker of course, the heat and humidity is pretty intense in the rainy season. If you get a hundred feet off the water, it is pretty warm anytime of the year. You adjust though, I've gotten cold there in the winter when the nortes blow and you see the locals in ski jackets. I've never gotten that cold, but I have wanted to get out of the wind.

You asked about work, that's another kettle of fish. How did you pick Chetumal and have you spent much time there? What made you decide to move there?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bloviator

Mar 31, 2006, 5:03 AM

Post #3 of 11 (4980 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Chetumal

The extended discussion was in early January. You can go back to it quite easily. What sfmacaws just wrote probably covers most of the positive comments quite well. The biggest negative seems to be the relative isolation, which may be positive to you.

Rick Coons

Apr 3, 2006, 12:56 PM

Post #4 of 11 (4930 views)

Shortcut

To: sfmacaws:
Thanks for the info. I've been gone a few days so just now getting back to you..
This was our second trip to Chetumal, the first several years ago while I was working in Cancun. This time we went there to see about relocating. we spent about two weeks there looking, also spent time in calderitas, Majajual as well, did a little diving there. It is a lt less frantic there than Cancun and I also found it to have that small town feel to it. People seem to be doing well there. My wife who is Mexican will be there in a few days, I'm still in the work mode in the north Yuk !! but getting closer to stoping that some what. I have spent some time in Belize aswell so I know a little about the area but still have much to learn ... It seems to have most of the things that i have been looking for in aplace to semi retire. I look at those old forums back in Jan and see what was said.. again thanks and hope we can keep intouch R.

Rick Coons

Apr 3, 2006, 6:10 PM

Post #5 of 11 (4913 views)

Shortcut

sfmacaws
Sent you a reply and low and behold it went to me. Please check 3 Apr. and will do better next time

Bubba

Apr 7, 2006, 9:32 PM

Post #6 of 11 (4876 views)

Shortcut

Just remember that, according to SEMARNAT, the Bay of Chetumal is the most polluted body of water along the entire Mexican coastline - Pacific, Gulf and Caribbean. Don´t be swimming therein.

sfmacaws

Apr 7, 2006, 9:39 PM

Post #7 of 11 (4874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Chetumal

Yeah Bubba, I saw that about Chetumal Bay. I haven't gone to read it but it is discouraging. Of course, it's a beautiful bay, boating is fun and I suppose that there are many people who live on polluted waters and just enjoy the view (heh!). I'm less interested in that bay front piece of property though, I'll admit that.

Thanks Rick, I saw your response. Good luck with your move. I still like Chetumal whether the bay is polluted or not. I think you'll enjoy living there.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

smokesilver

Apr 7, 2006, 9:53 PM

Post #8 of 11 (4873 views)

Shortcut

A beautiful bay indeed. Polluted with/by what pray tell?

Donita

Apr 8, 2006, 2:04 PM

Post #9 of 11 (4858 views)

Shortcut

Where is Chetumal? Sorry, I go to Playa del Carmen which I love and am going back in November. I want to move to Mexico but always considered Puerto Vallarta. I want to live near the ocean. So I haven't been on this site for a while and never on this particular area. Thanks for answering my stupid question.
Donita

raferguson

Apr 8, 2006, 6:11 PM

Post #10 of 11 (4848 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Donita] Chetumal

Chetumal is basically south of Playa del Carmen, on the border with Belize. If you got in your car and headed south on the main road, you would end up in Chetumal after three hours or so. Chetumal, like Playa del Carmen, is in the state of Quintana Roo.

You should get out more. ;-)

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Rick Coons

Apr 10, 2006, 4:03 PM

Post #11 of 11 (4825 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Chetumal

Hey Bubba !!
Thanks for the info about the Bay,( I think) did not know that it was in such bad shape, Went to SEMARNAT web site to get more info,but that looks like that will take sometime to wade through. I'll guess for the moment it's from untreated waste ???, Maybe it's all coming down from Cancun. I have two labs that were looking forward to swimming there guess I'll take them to the Playa in Majajual, again thanks for the info it's always good to know what your up against. R.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4