Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gringal

Mar 29, 2006, 9:12 AM

Post #1 of 44 (15916 views)

Shortcut

Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Can't Post | Private Reply
I searched this forum but couldn't find the answer. It's probably simple, but sometimes - so am I.

Our fountain in the front patio has dark green tiles against the wall where the water splashes. The water is hard, very hard. The white deposits that accumulate have resisted all the cleaning products we have tried. Steel wool doesn't even do a good job.

Suggestions, please!

johanson

Mar 30, 2006, 3:30 PM

Post #2 of 44 (15881 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

I thought by now, someone would have answered your question. I am sure there is a simple way. I know we have acid washed around the pool and that may have helped some, but there must be some simpler way. I sure hope someone knows.

Delia

Mar 30, 2006, 5:09 PM

Post #3 of 44 (15869 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Our plumber recently used a hammer and chisel around the top inside tiles of our fountain to remove deposits. Amazing -they are good as new.

sfmacaws

Mar 30, 2006, 5:48 PM

Post #4 of 44 (15865 views)

Shortcut

Have you tried soaking them in vinegar? Or, one of those solutions (I think they are really vinegar or citric acid) that are designed to remove calcification from faucets, showers and coffee pots?

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

caldwelld

Mar 31, 2006, 6:20 AM

Post #5 of 44 (15844 views)

Shortcut

I am also disappointed in the lack of response to your post. It is the same calcification that causes the ring around toilet bowls where the water sits after a flush. I have yet to find a product or method that even begins to do the job. A chisle sounds a bit severe for toilet bowls.
dondon

esperanza

Mar 31, 2006, 6:29 AM

Post #6 of 44 (15843 views)

Shortcut

Have you tried scrubbing with muriatic acid? It's not usually recommended for color tiles, but you could try it somewhere unobtrusive at first. Wear goggles and gloves, though.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jennifer rose

Mar 31, 2006, 7:08 AM

Post #7 of 44 (15837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Can't Post |
Try using the stones which are used to clean out the calcification in the toilet bowl.

FWIW, we dump chlorine in our fountain, re-use the water for plants, and drain the entire thing every two weeks or so. No problem with algae or killing the plants. And my dog would never drink from the fountain.

Gringal

Mar 31, 2006, 7:50 AM

Post #8 of 44 (15830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Jennifer, what stones? Haven't heard of this yet.

The area to be cleaned is large; about five feet square, against the wall. The lion head fountain spatters generously over it all, and the tiles are getting crustier. We have the same problem at the bottom of the fountain. Elbow grease has done some good, but I'm looking for the lazy solution.

We do use chorine in the fountain and don't have any grunge problems.

Muriatic acid has been suggested, and would use it if I could find some (none at Home Depot), but am a little worried about its effect on the deep green color.

I think the hammer and chisel suggestion is a bit on the extreme side, so I'll pass on that one.

Now, I just know that somebody out there has the perfect solution and I'll hear from them soon.

jennifer rose

Mar 31, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #9 of 44 (15824 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Look at the tianguis near you. Or Gigante may even sell them. The stones to which I referred are pumice, hard enough to clean the calcifaction in a toilet bowl without scratching the porcelain. Ask your maid about them.

And now I get to tell my stone story. One time I was wandering through a tianguis with a writer of some fame about topics concerning Mexico. The writer pointed out the stones to me, chiming in that Mexicans added them to a pot of frijoles for added calcium. Strangely, they were among the cleaning supplies. Overhearing the comment, the vendor had a strange smirk on her face, so I asked her the next week what that was about. She thought it was hilarious that some gringo would add the stones, which are used to clean the toilet, to a pot of beans. So I began to ask around, and sure enough, the writer had been duped into believing that the stones were used for a purpose other than cleaning -- or filing off callouses.

kittythegm

Mar 31, 2006, 8:39 AM

Post #10 of 44 (15822 views)

Shortcut

Since we have no idea of the chemical composition of the deposits, it would seem that applications of different cleaning agents may be in order.

Did some research and came up with the following suggestions:
1) Steam cleaning appears to be one of the best dieas but probably not practical in Mexico.
2) Things go better with "Coke"! Amazingly enough the coca-cola formula has the ability to clean many surfaces.
3) Baking soda - which you have probably already tried.
4) Toothpaste - strong formula with plenty of abrasive. Use a stiff brush or brush on a power drill.

The best recommendation was that after you do get them clean, then apply a sealer to retard future deposits.

bournemouth

Mar 31, 2006, 8:56 AM

Post #11 of 44 (15820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kittythegm] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

I seem to remember that applying a coat of auto wax has been suggested in the past for shower tiles, once they are cleaned, and wonder if this idea would not work with fountain tiles. We have the same problem and need to tackle it - one day.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Mar 31, 2006, 9:26 AM

Post #12 of 44 (15814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Try "CLR" (calcium, lime, rust) cleaner if you can find it at Walmart or Home Depot. Works great with hard water deposits.
Getting older and still not down here.

Bloviator

Mar 31, 2006, 9:34 AM

Post #13 of 44 (15811 views)

Shortcut

If coke is that good as a scouring agent, think of what it does to your stomach, let alone rotting your teeth.

kittythegm

Mar 31, 2006, 10:27 AM

Post #14 of 44 (15803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

I don't know if this is still true but as a kid back in the 60's - we took a bottle of Coke and carefully removed the cap. After doing so, we put a nail (what size I cannot remember) into the bottle and carefully resealed the cap. After 30 days, we removed the cap again. THE NAIL WAS GONE!

You are probably right about stomach and teeth but then again the formula may have changed.

Rolly

Mar 31, 2006, 11:26 AM

Post #15 of 44 (15798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

The small cleaning power of Coke is due to its being slightly acidic -- as are most fruit juices. Your stomach is much more acidic, so the acid content of Coke or fruit juices is not going to add anything significant. The problem with Coke in your body is the sugar.

If you want to learn about the zillion Coke myths floating around (and dissolving nails and teeth), look here: http://www2.coca-cola.com/...umors/packaging.html

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Mar 31, 2006, 1:12 PM

Post #16 of 44 (15784 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

That cleaner sounds like a good bet. Next trip to Queretaro, I'll go a'hunting.

So far, I've tried baking soda, vinegar, Comet, steel wool and cuss words. It's a pretty fountain, smack dab in the center of the view outside from the living-dining rooms, so I don't want to kill it in the attempt to cure it.

These are hard water deposits, I'm sure. Our water is so hard that.....and lots of Henny Youngman-style humor follows.

I've heard that if you drop a piece of steak in Coke, it will disappear before too long. I've also heard it makes a great meat tenderizer/marinade when some soy sauce and garlic is added. A short marinade.

kittythegm

Mar 31, 2006, 1:44 PM

Post #17 of 44 (15775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

As always, Rolly either has the answer or can provide a reference to find an answer! We are in awe of his capacities!

I am not being sarcastic but would strongly suggest starting a new forum titled: ASK ROLLY?

The information that he continues to provide on these forums is invaluable to all people using these forums!

Rolly

Mar 31, 2006, 2:01 PM

Post #18 of 44 (15772 views)

Shortcut

I've always had a soft spot for ladies called Kitty, so I'll let you in on my little secret -- GOOGLE

Rolly Pirate

Gringal

Mar 31, 2006, 2:07 PM

Post #19 of 44 (15767 views)

Shortcut

Aw gee Rolly - I thought you were going to give me the answer there. snif.

Delia

Mar 31, 2006, 2:11 PM

Post #20 of 44 (15766 views)

Shortcut

You guys amaze me. Chisels DO come in various sizes and can be used GENTLY. Muriatic acid (bought at Jara in Ajijic) and CLR (from Home Depot) did not work. This was NOT a major job to remove the deposits and did not damage the tiles. And you can also add a little algicide to your fountain as well as a little chloro to help maintain good condition of the water.
John O's wife

Gringal

Mar 31, 2006, 3:07 PM

Post #21 of 44 (15755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JohnO] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

As stated above, I do use clorox in the water, and algae is not a problem.

Having done some carving in my time, I'm aware that chisels come in various sizes and shapes. If it were a small area, it wouldn't be a big deal to chisel off the deposits, but this is a large surface and it's a problem that will no doubt be returning as soon as it's cleaned up.

Sorry to hear that CLR or muriatic acid didn't work.

Gringal

Mar 31, 2006, 3:22 PM

Post #22 of 44 (15750 views)

Shortcut

The Google results suggested that TSP (tri sodium phospate) would work for tough deposits. Anyone else tried that?

Papirex

Mar 31, 2006, 4:45 PM

Post #23 of 44 (15735 views)

Shortcut

The chain letters that used to go around claiming that Coca Cola can clean many things have been exposed as a hoax many times. Still, when some people read about those claims for the first time they believe them for reasons I cannot fathom.

The link that Rolly posted does explain that Coke is safe to drink, but not so hot as an all purpose cleaner. I used to have a link in My Favorites explaining in detail the falsehood of those claims, but after changing computers 3 or 4 times I no longer have it.

No help here on cleaning tiles.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

kittythegm

Apr 1, 2006, 2:51 PM

Post #24 of 44 (15695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

How about using a Rubbing Compound formula such as one would use on a car before applying polish?

Judy in Ags

Apr 4, 2006, 1:02 PM

Post #25 of 44 (15655 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Even CLR, which I previously thought worked on all water deposits, doesn't remove the mineral deposits in our shower and stool. Now I'm desperate and curious about Jennifer's pumice stones. They really don't stratch the surface of the stool? Are they the pumice stones used to remove callouses from one's feet?

I had deposits outside the shower on the floor that I couldn't remove, so I put WD40 on them. It doesn't remove them, but they look as if they have disappeared, at least for a few days.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4