Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Judy in Ags

Apr 4, 2006, 1:10 PM

Post #26 of 44 (5240 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have tile on my countertops and I did apply auto wax to them before I used them. Come to think of it, the water is easy to clean up. Maybe I'll try it in my new shower before it gets awful like the one we've been using one year.
Attachments: Countertop.jpg (45.1 KB)

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Apr 4, 2006, 1:51 PM

Post #27 of 44 (5237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Judy in Ags] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

I've had good results with CLR by soaking a rag with it and letting the wet rag cover the deposits for about 1/2 hour and then scraping/brushing off. All my deposits came off readily. I don't know if the hard water in MX has a different chemical makeup than those in WA State though.
Getting older and still not down here.

Gringal

Apr 4, 2006, 2:19 PM

Post #28 of 44 (5231 views)

Shortcut

Just for the record - today we tried the Mexican equivalent of "Shower Power". We're trying to go from the most straightforward to the most extreme here.

I doesn't work. Applied it three times. Result: one small patch of white crud came loose.

Esteban

Apr 4, 2006, 2:44 PM

Post #29 of 44 (5227 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

We had our own hard water well in the state of
Washington and what we had to use on our tile showers was a product called: ZUD
It was the ONLY thing that worked. I haven't seen it here in Mexico.

rainer

Apr 4, 2006, 3:07 PM

Post #30 of 44 (5221 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

I must have read your "byline" a hundred times and I finally have to tell you: "I LOVE IT"
Smile

Gringal

Apr 4, 2006, 5:13 PM

Post #31 of 44 (5212 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Now that's what I'd call a big help! You did say you're planning to tootle on up to Washington and bring me back a case or two, or did I miss that ??

Esteban

Apr 4, 2006, 5:17 PM

Post #32 of 44 (5209 views)

Shortcut

I'll toodle on up if you'll pay for the airfare!

GringoCArlos

Nov 18, 2012, 10:54 AM

Post #33 of 44 (3229 views)

Shortcut

Not sure if you are still living with white crud in your fountain, but for others:

This from a pool center blog:

Calcium Hardness

When we speak of scale, we are talking about calcium carbonate which has come out of solution and deposited itself on surfaces. It is a combination of carbonate ions, a part of total alkalinity and calcium, and a part of the Calcium Hardness level. The test for Calcium Hardness is a measure of how "hard" or "soft" the water is. "Hard" water can have high levels of calcium and magnesium. If these levels are too high, the water becomes saturated and will throw off excess particles out of solution which then seeks to deposit themselves on almost any surface inside the pool. They can be attracted to ladders, lights and in extreme cases deposit themselves as very small crystalline clumps - all over the pool surfaces. Calcium Carbonate scale; a "white-ish," crystallized rough nodule.
-----------------------------
Water in Mexico is typically really hard. Basically, this blog is saying that if the calcium content of your fountain water is too high, you'll get scale everywhere.

Depending on the volume of your fountain reservoir, you could try an easier solution than elbow grease: Partially drain the fountain, and then add back distilled water (free of minerals).

If that doesn't do it in a couple of weeks, then add some more distilled water. The fountain water itself will absorb back the calcium deposits to get back into balance.

Here's one source of distilled water in bulk in Guadalajara:
Ecosource Guadaljara cel: 33 1279 3240

Good luck!

robt65

Nov 18, 2012, 2:30 PM

Post #34 of 44 (3215 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Hey Carlos,

You can also use a mixture of TSP to clean it off. Does a pretty good job without much elbow grease!

Robt65

bournemouth

Nov 18, 2012, 4:51 PM

Post #35 of 44 (3208 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

You guys aren't noticing that this thread dates back to 2006. Gringal has changed locations and fountains since then.

robt65

Nov 18, 2012, 6:13 PM

Post #36 of 44 (3200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Hello bournemouth,

I certainly realized the date. I specifically caught the date and went on to see why the posting was again revived. Certainly reviving a post is not new. It happens many times. However one should never tell another "aren't noticing that this thread dates back to . . . . whatever". I know that I am not that powerful to read another’s mind, nor would I have the gonads to tell someone so in public.

Regards,

robt65

DavidHF

Nov 19, 2012, 3:16 PM

Post #37 of 44 (3170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Re: Using distilled water in fountain.
a) it's very costly
b) it will evaporate in our climate before "absorbing" the deposits thereby leaving the deposit in place!

sfmacaws

Nov 19, 2012, 8:51 PM

Post #38 of 44 (3153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Really! I can't imagine buying distilled water for a fountain. If necessary, pour a little vinegar in the fountain water when you refill it. Cheap, will dissolve the deposits and won't hurt anything.

But... don't do this if you have fish in there.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

stevebrtx

Dec 5, 2012, 12:19 PM

Post #39 of 44 (3114 views)

Shortcut

Muratic acid works slowly, I needed to do a toilet with a serious calcium ring, I dipped the water out, folded a couple of paper towels lengthwise and squirted acid on them and applied them to the area needing cleaning and left them, about every 45 min or so I'd go back in and squirt more acid on them to keep the level up and over a period of hours it eventually dissolved all the calcium, just took time and about a qt. of acido. Now I'm trying a new Scubbing Bubbles product I picked up in TX, a sort of gel deposit that sticks to the side of the bowl and supposedly keeps calcium from forming - we'll see.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Judy in Ags

Dec 5, 2012, 2:35 PM

Post #40 of 44 (3101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Re: Cleaning the stubborn ring in the toilet. Put on your rubber gloves, grab a piece of pumice stone (can probably find it at the market) and scrub the ring. It really doesn't take much energy and doesn't harm the surface of the toilet. It's the best thing I've found.

johanson

Dec 5, 2012, 6:06 PM

Post #41 of 44 (3085 views)

Shortcut

Hey Judy: Thanks for the great suggestion. How do you say "Pumice" in Spanish, "piedra de po'mex"? (sorry, US keyboard) If so, I'm going to go out and get some at the local hardware store tomorrow and get to work.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Pete

El Ruco

sfmacaws

Dec 5, 2012, 7:40 PM

Post #42 of 44 (3074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

pómez or piedra pómez is what I would ask for in the mercado. You can also find it in the beauty supply area of most supermarkets and drugstores. The same thing that you use on callouses on your feet will work for this too.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Sculptari

Dec 6, 2012, 3:13 PM

Post #43 of 44 (3049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Can't Post |
I remember this question has come up before. One answer is 'wet and dry' sandpaper - this is the widely available 'black' sandpaper that can be (and should be for this purpose) used wet with water. The trick is to find the correct grit. Should be 600 to 800 with no damage to the surface of the ceramic. It is available higher than 1200 grit - and this is used for a glossy finish. A microscopic layer would be used on each polish, not not enough to cause serious damage for a lifetime of use. Pumice would also fall into this category

There are polishing pastes used for professional restoration. The white mineral deposit is basically lime, so the paste must be just a little bit harder than the lime, but contain nothing which will scratch the ceramic. I know I used fine limestone sand and neutral detergent to good effect. Some of these materials are tricky to source.
no longer active on Mexconnect

Sculptari

Dec 6, 2012, 8:13 PM

Post #44 of 44 (3035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sculptari] Tile cleaning: fountain deposits

Can't Post |
I'm sorry - I guess I left it too long to edit. Here is the company most landlords agree on for inexpensive cleaning and buffing their precious architectural terracotta - http://superiorabrasives.com/shur-brite-products/ The hardcore restoration and heritage architects do not like it, because eventually you will lose the glaze and color.
no longer active on Mexconnect
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4