Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

armand leon

Aug 15, 2002, 4:08 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1584 views)

Shortcut

driving to lake chapala

Can't Post |
I'm planning to drive from dallas to the Guadalahara area and lake chapala with my own vehicle. I would appreciate any advise as to how good are the roads and if it is safe and how long does it take.

Jean

Aug 15, 2002, 12:34 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1585 views)

Shortcut

driving to lake chapala

Can't Post |
When we drove and came through Laredo. The roads were great. Took toll roads. If you get to the border before sunrise and get through your paperwork then wait for sunrise and start out. If you want to push it you can make it in 12 hours. We had animals with us so we stopped in Zacatacus overnight and then drove the rest of the way the second day.<p>

Jorge

Aug 15, 2002, 5:55 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1585 views)

Shortcut

driving to lake chapala

Can't Post |
Go thru Laredo...if you use the Columbia port of entry just west of Laredo, you may be the only ones there. It is new and generaly unused. You will need car registration, drivers lic and credit card with same name as car registration. Head toward Monterey by toll road...you will take a new highway and not go into Satillo. Keep going south to Matehaula. It is half way. An excellent motel thee if Las POalmas. Do not go thru Zacatecas. From Matehuala you have a 6 hour drive to Guadalajara. You will bypass San L. Potosi. I just did this and it took 11 1/2 hours from Laredo to Chapala. Smoot sailing all the way on the toll roads. Have some pesos ready, it is over 100 dollars in tolls but worth it. Get pesos on Laredo, it is easier.<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4