Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Jinete136

Mar 25, 2006, 8:12 AM

Post #1 of 15 (4174 views)

Shortcut

Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone compare real estate prices in Manzanillo to those around Ajijic/Chapala?

As a place to live, can anyone comment on the advantages or disadvantages of selecting Manzanillo or nearby towns over any towns along Lake Chapala?

Could anyone give a sort of ranking of Manzanillo areas - like places that are considered dumpy or dangerous vs. places that are considered attractive, affordable, desirable etc.?

Lastly, is it very hot and humid there, and when, compared say to eastern Canada/US in summer?
Thanks!

Bloviator

Mar 25, 2006, 8:41 AM

Post #2 of 15 (4167 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jinete136] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

There was a rather extensive discussion of Manzanillo living about six weeks ago (?). You might check that out.

rickc

Mar 25, 2006, 9:41 AM

Post #3 of 15 (4157 views)

Shortcut

Yes, it is very hot and humid in Manzanillo! Understand that Electricity is quite expensive also. I think the ablitiy to speak Spanish would be a great help there, as ther is no large enclave of english speakers available that I am aware of. The rest, I cannot help you with

Rich Chambers
Navigating the Sea of Life..

sfmacaws

Mar 25, 2006, 11:18 AM

Post #4 of 15 (4144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rickc] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

Also search on Melaque and Barra de Navidad. I like the towns north of Manzanillo a lot. Yes, it's hot and humid in the rainy season, I haven't been there then but I believe it. Winters are gorgeous and would make it all worth it I think. PM Shoe for more info, he lives in Melaque.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

esperanza

Mar 25, 2006, 12:03 PM

Post #5 of 15 (4137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

Shoe is cold when it's 90 and humid.

I was in Manzanillo a couple of Februarys ago, toward the end of the month. The weather in February was SO hot and SO humid that we only stayed one night (instead of three) and scurried back to the highlands to cooler weather with no humidity. Maybe that was unusual weather for the winter, but it was deadly to me and my companions.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sfmacaws

Mar 25, 2006, 2:39 PM

Post #6 of 15 (4124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

Well, I like it hot too and don't mind humidity. Right now over here on the Caribbean coast it is 80°F and the humidity is 50%, I'm cold. There is a norte blowing and it has dried it out and chilled it.

I did spend the month of February in Perula, about 70km north of Melaque last year. I remember it being warm and wonderful but it was pretty hot away from the ocean breezes. We went back up in the hills one day to walk around a nature preserve and I remember a lot of sweating and drinking a lot of water. If you have an ocean breeze, 90° and humid is wonderful, soft and silky air and warm nights. Of course, you highlands people have chapped lips and wool undies to get you through those freezing winter nights <g>

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bloviator

Mar 25, 2006, 7:45 PM

Post #7 of 15 (4103 views)

Shortcut

We considered Manzanillo for awhile. It is a very nice place to visit. One big disadvantage is that the humidity and salt air make maintenance of your property a constant and ongoing project. Another problem is that almost every day the whole town is filled with cruise ship people from 10 to 5. You really can't move about in the main part of the city during those times. You hole up and come out after they leave in the late afternoon.

Jinete136

Mar 25, 2006, 8:33 PM

Post #8 of 15 (4092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

Well, hot and humid summers is how I grew up, and am glad to escape it. The highland climate of Ajijic has spoiled me. Cruise ships and tourists filling the town reminds me of somewhere else I used to live, and I hated thatl. Doesn't sound like the ideal horse riding either, too sweaty.

I'd like to ask about NW Guad, a bit west of the air base, Rancho Contento, La Puerta, etc. but I know this is the wrong forum......

shoe

Mar 26, 2006, 6:37 AM

Post #9 of 15 (4069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

In Reply To
Shoe is cold when it's 90 and humid.

WRONGL I am not cold when it is 90 and humid. That is about right!

Sitting on the beach and reading and just enjoying myself in that kind of weather is great. Now this morning it is a little cool at 68 and I do not think there is much humidity. Not this time of year. The big problem is the water is too cold for swimming. It is only about 75 or so and that is not something to go in. I can't wait until June when it gets over 82. Then it is nice.

Summers on Coastalegre are great if you like it hot and humid and a lot of people do. Yes, our electricity bill is high as a lot of us use A/C to keep the humidity down. I use it but I keep the temperature in the house at about 80 - 82 and it is nice then.

I am looking but I still have not found a better place in Mexico.

BTW; The price of real-estate in this area is not too bad. I know of a builder that will build you a nice 2/1 on your lot of about $30K USD. You can buy a lot within three blocks of the ocean for less than $20K USD. If you search the Manzanillo forums you can get more information about the prices down there.

Try: http://www.tomzap.com/frm/list.php?f=9 and http://gomanzanillo.com/ For Manzanillo.

Try: http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/sparksmexico.html and http://www.tomzap.com/frm/list.php?f=8 These for Berra and Melaque and other places on this are of the coast.

These sites will offer some help to you also.

cya,
shoe

Mark Landes

Mar 29, 2006, 9:17 PM

Post #10 of 15 (3982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

In Taipei 80 degrees and 50% humidity was considered ideal for museum artifacts. At least that is the temp/humidity they keep inside the National Palace Museum for the workers and visitors. Entering the museum was always a cool refreshing feeling. I assisted in translating there 1976-78 and helped the Director with correspondence.
Mark

sfmacaws

Mar 29, 2006, 10:23 PM

Post #11 of 15 (3975 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mark Landes] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

Heh! Well, I'm a bit of a museum artifact myself maybe that's why I like it <g>

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

shoe

Mar 30, 2006, 7:11 AM

Post #12 of 15 (3955 views)

Shortcut

I just received notice that the people at Ajijic Rantals and Real-Estate are moving and starting up a new real-estate business in Manzanillo. Go over and talk to them. They are just across from the post office in Ajijic.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Bloviator

Mar 30, 2006, 7:34 AM

Post #13 of 15 (3952 views)

Shortcut

Re: [shoe] Real estate prices in/around Manzanillo

Ajijic Realty - Moving or branching out? When we were in Manzanillo recently, there didn't seem to be many real estate offices. Did we miss them, or was that correct. Mercifully, there didn't seem to be thousands of arm twisting time-share sales people either.

bournemouth

Mar 30, 2006, 10:27 AM

Post #14 of 15 (3939 views)

Shortcut

Sadly, from my perspective as we use their services, moving. They are good folk.

shoe

Mar 31, 2006, 6:05 AM

Post #15 of 15 (3905 views)

Shortcut

No, they are not moving or expanding the business. They have sold the business in Ajijic to Continental Realty who will continue to offer the same services as did Ajijic Realty.

Gail and Margarita plan on opening a new real-estate office in Manzanillo and offering their services there. They are also building a house there at the same time. They will be in and out of the office in Ajijic until about the middle of June.

I also agree that there are not many real-estate offices in Manzanillo. They are kind of hard to find and the local newspaper seems to have the most information about rentals and homes for sale. There is also a gringo support group there. Try: http://gomanzanillo.com/ for more information about the place and real-estate. You will not find arm twisting sales persons selling time shares there either.

cya,
shoe

Nothing is intrinsically good or evil, but its manner of usage may make it so.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4