Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

bournemouth

Mar 22, 2006, 2:15 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3229 views)

Shortcut

Infinitum down again

Can't Post | Private Reply
Our Infinitum service in Ajijic is down again - anyone else with the same problem?

johnv

Mar 22, 2006, 6:00 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Infinitum down again

When it's down, one of the three lights on the Infinitum Modem should be orange. Right this intant my Infinitum is not down, and all three modem lights are green, however I could not connect to 2 sites I visit daily, xe.com and dpreview.com. I am going to check other sites, and my speed, to see what's up.

johanson / Moderator

Mar 22, 2006, 6:15 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3217 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Infinitum down again

I did it again, when I ran the message through MexConnect's spellchecker my posted message came up blank,

Well anyway my neighbor bournemouth called me to see if my Ininitum was down, it wasn't and in the process we discovered her problem. It was her phone line that was cutting in and out.

And I would like to remind you of what John said above. One very easy way to see whether you have a connection or not is to look at the lights on your router. My wireless router has three lights and when the middle light is green, I have a connection. It turns brown or orange when the signal is down.

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 22, 2006, 6:21 PM)

bournemouth

Mar 22, 2006, 6:59 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3207 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Infinitum down again

Hi Pete: It has turned out to be the modem - which was probably fluctuating when we were talking. A very helpful tech person I call for phone problems came over with his wireless Prodigy modem and everything works fine using his. My modem was showing the orange light so I knew there was a problem somewhere. So - it's off to Telmex tomorrow morning - if only I can find the paperwork!!!

Sherrill

Mar 22, 2006, 7:14 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3203 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Infinitum down again

Am interested in how you fare at TelMex. They tell me I can now get Infinitum at my address in San Juan Cosala as they have installed new equipment to handle this and also say no problem; I can do the installation myself. Feel am competent at following directions, but have heard that all does not go smoothly when you switch from dial up to DSL. So hope that you will post how things go for you in fixing your problem. Am following all of this with great interest.

johanson / Moderator

Mar 22, 2006, 7:23 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sherrill] Infinitum down again

I did my infinitum installation about a year ago, and a friend of mine did his install several months ago. It wasn't that hard to do. The worst thing was following the instructions which were in Spanish. With the big pictures though, that went along with the instructions though, when I didn't know what a Spanish word meant, I was able figure out what to do.

Rolly

Mar 22, 2006, 8:02 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Infinitum down again

I did my own DSL install -- no problem, piece of cake. But when I added a wireless router, all hell broke loose. I was stumped, so I called the vendor who sent his tech guy over. It took him two days to get the router working.

I have a new strange problem. I use ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. After several years of faithful service, it has recently developed a strange problem. From time to time it blocks most of the websites I want to go to. It allows MexConnect, but not much else. I turn it off and back on, and then all is well until it does it again. Weird, but I can live with it.

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4