Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

tonyburton

Mar 22, 2006, 8:51 AM

Post #1 of 16 (2534 views)

Shortcut

Green Angels / Angeles Verdes - Contact Number

Can't Post | Private Reply
In the interests of all regular road travelers in Mexico, can anyone confirm, from personal experience, that 078 is the phone number to reach the Green Angels emergency roadside service, and that this number works from all cell phones, as well as regular land-lines?
Thanks!

johnv

Mar 22, 2006, 6:06 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Green Angels / Angeles Verdes - Contact Number

I just dialed 078 as a test, and it said it does not exist: "No existe"

Bloviator

Mar 22, 2006, 9:38 PM

Post #3 of 16 (2479 views)

Shortcut

Do you contact the Green Angels from the roadside phones that seem to be every 3 KM on the major toll roads?

Papirex

Mar 22, 2006, 11:20 PM

Post #4 of 16 (2477 views)

Shortcut

I have a number for The Green Angels in my cell phone’s phone book. I put it in there about three years ago; I don’t even remember where I got it. I can tell by the area code that it is a Mexico City number, so it probably would not be suitable for use anywhere else in the country because of the toll charges. It may not even be good anymore, and who knows if they could send help to someone far away, Cancun, Monterrey, etc.?

I have found that on major highways they patrol very often, and it would probably not be necessary to call them for help. A few years ago when we were moving from Mexico City to Cuernavaca, I was driving one of our cars, my wife was driving her van following the moving van.

I got pretty far ahead of them so I pulled over to wait for them to catch up. I was parked on a pull out area for about an hour. I think a green Angel’s truck stopped about every ten minutes to see if I was OK. There were three or four different Green Angel trucks that stopped when they were going up or down the mountain. Finally they would not stop, but would slow down until I waved at them to signal that I was still OK.

I think that having a phone number for them would be nice, but if you are on a main highway you probably won’t need to wait more than 20 or 30 minutes and one of them will show up. Remember, they don’t work at night.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Bloviator

Mar 23, 2006, 5:08 AM

Post #5 of 16 (2466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Green Angels / Angeles Verdes - Contact Number

During our drive from Tijuana to Ajijic earlier this week, we were especially alert for Green Angel trucks as we were driving our 200K mile Mountaineer loaded to the hilt with heavy stuff. We only saw three on the whole trip. Also, except for the area around Mazatlan where they patrol very heavily, we saw no Federales until near Guad. If we had broken down, I really don't know what we would have done. Especially in Sonora, it is a long way between towns and I doubt that many fellow travelers would stop to help.

Papirex

Mar 23, 2006, 8:08 AM

Post #6 of 16 (2451 views)

Shortcut

I did a Google search for “Green Angels Mexico”. Here is one of the pages that came up, it lists the area code 55 number that I have recorded in my cell phones number list, with a couple of extensions that I didn’t know about. It is a Mexico City number.

http://www.ontheroadin.com/travelinnformation/green_angels_of_mexico.htm

Several other pages come up on Google with phone numbers that seem to be area specific. The 078 number is listed for the ministry of Tourism between Mexicali and San Felipe, to summon The Green Angels in that area.

One writer suggested dialing the national emergency number to contact The Green Angels, 060. That would probably be the best option in an unfamiliar area. I also have the 060 emergency number in my cell phone list.

We are probably lucky here. Highway 95 between Mexico City and Acapulco runs right through Cuernavaca. We see green Angel’s trucks all the time here.

I hope that maybe, possibly, there is a chance, that this info will help someone sometime.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

tonyburton

Mar 23, 2006, 8:35 AM

Post #7 of 16 (2443 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, everyone. All good suggestions. I thought I'd read somewhere a couple of years ago that there was an attempt being made to have a nationwide number to reach the Green Angels, but if so it sounds like it hasn't happened yet. But when someone asked me how to contact Green Angels, I knew this would be the place (and the people) to ask!

Bloviator

Mar 23, 2006, 9:59 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2431 views)

Shortcut

I still want to know if you can call them from the phones beside the cuota every three kilometers - and if those phones actually work or have been trashed over the years.

If you can't call the Green Angels, what are the phones for? Obviously, it isn't necessary to have pay phones every three Kilometers. I guess I could stop and try to make a call next time I'm on the road, but I'm sure someone knows what they are for.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Mar 23, 2006, 10:01 AM)

Papirex

Mar 23, 2006, 11:37 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Green Angels / Angeles Verdes - Contact Number

Dick, I’m curious about the phones on the cuota’s you mentioned. Which cuota’s have you seen them on? Neither my wife or I can remember ever seeing telephones beside a highway every 3 km here.

We have made quite a few highway trips over the years here, from Cuernavaca over the border via Ciudad Victoria returning via el Paso through San Louis Potosi, from Cuernavaca to Ajijij via Querétaro and Guadalajara, from Cuernavaca to Vera Cruz via Mexico City, From Cuernavaca to Acapulco, etc. We have made all these and other trips several times. A jillion trips to Mexico city via the cuota too.

Maybe we are just inattentive, I think we should have noticed some of them if they are everywhere. Are the phones well marked?

Rex

Bloviator

Mar 24, 2006, 5:55 AM

Post #10 of 16 (2367 views)

Shortcut

If you haven't seen them, perhaps I'm hallucinating. However, there are signs indicating SOS in 1KM etc, and then a yellow pole with (I think) a telephone. They are every few kilometers along the cuotas from Nogales to Ajijic and I think I first noticed them on the cuota from Morelia to Guad.

My wife thinks some past president's brother got a nice contract as each requires a lot of signage and a pretty yellow pole. Theoretically, according to other signs, each also has a barrel for basura.

I just checked with my wife. She assures me that they are blue rather than yellow. That gives me more evidence that I'm hallucinating.

bournemouth

Mar 24, 2006, 6:25 AM

Post #11 of 16 (2363 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Green Angels / Angeles Verdes - Contact Number

Dick is right - they are every few kilometers on Route 15 south from Nogales and are solar powered emergency phones. We've never had to try them but we do occasionally see people using them. In theory I believe they connect you to an operator who should send help. The phones are provided by, if my memory serves me, various cell phone companies - Movistar is one of them.

Bloviator

Mar 24, 2006, 8:14 AM

Post #12 of 16 (2349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Green Angels / Angeles Verdes - Contact Number

Thank God, I'm only semi dillusional. Now, I'll stop and check out one of the phones next time we are traveling. Still, the question remains, do these phones bring the Green Angels. It would make sense that they do. However, logic doesn't always prevail.

johnv

Mar 24, 2006, 9:13 AM

Post #13 of 16 (2340 views)

Shortcut

A freind of mine, who is an owner of a trailer park in Guanajuato Capital, and an organizer of large US RV caravans, claims that the Green Angels have an extremely powerful mobil radio system. A phone call to ANY Green Angel telephone number, even if it is local, will instigate a truck to truck relay of the message, by radio, until the call for help reaches the closest truck to the vehicle in need of assistance. He says that their truck to truck radio relays can span the country in a matter of minutes.

Papirex

Apr 4, 2006, 9:44 AM

Post #14 of 16 (2270 views)

Shortcut

Here are some more phone numbers for The Green Angels; some of them are national 800 numbers.

I got them yesterday, April 3 when I went to Mexico City. The Cruz Roja was collecting donations at the Cobro as you enter the city. After I gave them a donation they put a sticker on my windshield, and gave me a brochure.

The brochure lists several emergency numbers, some of them are no doubt local area numbers, but some of them are 800 numbers.

They are:
Angeles Verdes 070 (probably a local area number.) and 01 800 9878 224 and 01 800 9939 200.

Capufe (probably an acronym, neither my wife or I can figure this one out.) 01 800 9903 900. If anyone knows what Capufe means, please post it. My wife is pretty good at knowing what the myriad of acronyms in Mexico stand for, but this one has her baffled. She thinks it may have something to do with the Federal Highway police, but their number is listed below.

Cruz Roja 065 (Probably a local area number.)

Policia Federal De Caminos 01 800 4403 690.

I am going to put all of these numbers in our cell phone number book lists. One of them ought to get us help if we ever need them again.

Rex

(This post was edited by RexC on Apr 4, 2006, 9:46 AM)

Rolly

Apr 4, 2006, 10:01 AM

Post #15 of 16 (2266 views)

Shortcut

CAPUFE = Caminos y Puentes Federales de Ingresos y Servicios Conexos which is responsible for Mexico's toll roads and bridges, including the 165 toll plazas.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Apr 4, 2006, 11:20 AM

Post #16 of 16 (2251 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Green Angels / Angeles Verdes - Contact Number

Thanks Rolly, now I can tell my wife and brag about how much I know about Mexico. Wink

Rex

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4