Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

johnandkristy

Mar 20, 2006, 6:52 PM

Post #1 of 11 (8337 views)

Shortcut

Exploratory trip to Mazatlan

Can't Post | Private Reply
We're thinking of using some vacation time to check out Mazatlan as a possible place to move to in Mexico. We'll only have 7-9 days this time around, which obviously, isn't enough time to make a decision. (This will be kind of a pre-exploratory trip to see if Mazatlan's even a consideration for us.) As much as we can, we'd like to try and view Mazatlan through the eyes of prospective residents, and not just as tourists on vacation. With this in mind, can anyone offer advice as to when we should visit Mazatlan to get a true feel of the place? What types of things should we see and do that offer the real flavor of Mazatlan? Is there a particular area we should stay in? Though I'm sure we'll visit the Gold Zone, it isn't a place we'd want to stay in, or settle in. We plan on traveling extensively in Mexico in a couple of years, but for now, vacations will have to do. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

John and Kristy

Marlene / Moderator

Mar 23, 2006, 6:33 PM

Post #2 of 11 (8291 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnandkristy] Exploratory trip to Mazatlan

Not knowing your budget I would like to suggest two hotels in Olas Altas (el Centro Historico) area which are a nice choice. The Posada Freeman, beautifully restored and upscale or the Hotel La Siesta, more budget style but with the same gorgeous views of the ocean. From there you can walk to the Plaza Machado, the Market, the Cathedral and various other things of interest. An organized walking tour of the area would be useful to learn about the historic buildings. Enjoy your visit!

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Mar 26, 2006, 10:57 AM

Post #3 of 11 (8249 views)

Shortcut

We stayed at the Belmar Hotel for several days during the past two weeks. It's about 5 miles south of the gold zone near the historic district. Rates were good ($33 us) per night, two people, two beds. It's a "funky" hotel in that it's not modernized, but it's a very nice place to stay given it's history and the ghosts who walk about on the 4th floor. The staff is helpful and speak some english so language is not a problem. In addition, they offer free phone calls to the US & Canada and have wifi in the lobby area. John Wayne used to stay there many years ago while marlin fishing (but don't know if he caught any).

You can also visit Puerto Viejo (to the south on the corner) for good seafood and beer and meet a few people (expats) who live in the area, and for breakfast I'd recommend the second restaurant to the south of the hotel entry and there's a 24 hour atm on the corner.

Have fun on your trip. We had a great time in Mazatlan and have chosen it as the place to spend the last of our winters.
Getting older and still not down here.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Mar 26, 2006, 11:04 AM)

johnandkristy

Mar 27, 2006, 7:42 AM

Post #4 of 11 (8211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Exploratory trip to Mazatlan

Thanks Marlene and Ron for your suggestions! Now, we just need to decide which is the best month for us to travel. (Any time after July.)

Ron--I see that you're from the Tacoma area. Whereabouts? We lived in Fircrest before moving east of the mountains.

Thanks again, John and Kristy

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Mar 27, 2006, 9:03 AM

Post #5 of 11 (8205 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

Ron--I see that you're from the Tacoma area. Whereabouts? We lived in Fircrest before moving east of the mountains.

Presently University Place living in my motorhome. Previously in the Proctor district since 1965.
Every other person you'll meet sob will probably be from Wa state or somewhere else from the NW.
Enjoy your trip.
Getting older and still not down here.

misslyn

Mar 28, 2006, 8:02 AM

Post #6 of 11 (8170 views)

Shortcut

If you like HOT and HUMID, you'll like Mazatlan in the summer. Lots of residents simply go away for the summer while others sweat it out (literally!). Sometime after July (like September) would be more tolerable.

Lyn

Esteban

Mar 28, 2006, 10:04 AM

Post #7 of 11 (8160 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] Exploratory trip to Mazatlan

Weather is all relative. I had a friend from New Orleans, who lived here for over 6 years. He said the summers were worse in Louisiana. In Maz, you do get a nice breeze off the ocean in the afternoon. You also gtet the monsoons that cool everything down, temporarily, about 10 degrees. I've lived in minus 20 degree F. weather in the Pacific Northwest and will take the Maz summers WAY over those icy cold assed winters. It doesn't really start getting cooler till mid October. It's all about what you like.

johnandkristy

Mar 28, 2006, 10:44 AM

Post #8 of 11 (8153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Exploratory trip to Mazatlan

Right now, it's cold, wet and windy, so hot and humid sounds pretty good! We live in central WA, so don't get much rain. However, we do get cold winters, hot summers and gobs of wind all year long. It's the constant wind that drives us crazy.

Does anyone know if Mazatlan does much for Day of the Dead celebrations?

Esteban

Mar 28, 2006, 12:38 PM

Post #9 of 11 (8142 views)

Shortcut

Day of the dead isn't much of a tourist thing here although they have been having a few things going on at the Plazueala Machado. Many Mexicans go to the different cemetery's and do the usual. People do have "shrines" set up in their homes to celebrate. This doesn't appear to be a day of the dead "destination" point for NOB ers.

MazDee

Mar 28, 2006, 8:21 PM

Post #10 of 11 (8118 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] Exploratory trip to Mazatlan

I think Septmber is the worst month to come! Maybe that is because I live here most of the summer and can't wait for the cooler temperatures. The cumulative effect. But September is hot and humid and there is not much going on. Everybody, Mazatlecos and expats, seem to be on hold. I think July would be better! I came from the NW of the US and of course am not used to the humidity I experience here. It's been 4 years and I still am not used to it. But, I have a friend, originally from Chicago, who has been here for over 40 years and still doesn't use her AC! Different strokes.

Marlene / Moderator

Mar 29, 2006, 9:45 AM

Post #11 of 11 (8091 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Exploratory trip to Mazatlan

I agree with Dee. July and August are nothing compared with September for humidity and heat. We finally broke down last year at the end of August and bought yet another air conditioner so we could be more comfortable in our living areas for September and October. It was worth it.

Dee is right about not much happening in the way of tourism in September, but there is the Independence Day celebrations and of course theatres and restaurants are air conditioned. Think indoor activities. Locals deal with it, but people are a little crankier by September, looking forward to cooler temperatures of November and of course the return of winter tourism money.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4