First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DoDi2

Mar 17, 2006, 12:29 PM

Post #51 of 57 (1235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] What Safety Measures Do You Take

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I have a friend who, as a rowdy teenager, spent a lot of time in nefarious activies in Oaxaca. He ALWAYS carried a gun. I would bet a lot of tortillas that the guns have only gotten bigger and better, not gone away. Oaxaca is a very dangerous state in many areas, granted not the areas that tourists usually go to but out in the campo where the gold grows. Out there I doubt there are many - or any - men without a gun.

I know lots of Oaxacans who live out away from the city.... some I know very well and some just as casual aquaintances. There are a few who I suspect by thier reputations might be involved in some 'nefarious' activity and I suppose they probably own guns. Maybe some of the others do too, but of the friends I know very well I would be really surprised if they own a gun. In fact I'm almost sure they don't. They do carry machetes when they go out walking at night or in the campo, but (other than for work) the machete is mainly as protection against dogs or to whack a snake if they happen across one. And even when they go hunting they hunt with slingshots.

But I'm going to do a poll and ask some of them if they keep a gun at home. I'll report back what I find out.

alex .

Mar 17, 2006, 12:30 PM

Post #52 of 57 (1234 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] What Safety Measures Do You Take

| Private Reply
Of course women cops don't constantly "handle the hardware" like men do. I'll wager they spend a fair amount of time discussing their feelings about such things tho'....8<)
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Mar 17, 2006, 12:31 PM)

wendy devlin

Mar 17, 2006, 2:25 PM

Post #53 of 57 (1220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] What Safety Measures Do You Take

| Private Reply
Ahhhh! The helpful machete! Friend or foe?

Just the ticket, for slicing the end off a green coconut...for a cooling sweet drink.
Also for cutting off the end of a brown 'coconut'...should need suddenly arise.

The first is a somewhat benign, everyday occurence.

The second...occasion...perhaps less common...and in certain circles, never witnessed or perhaps...imagined;)

However, having witnessed two violent assaults a la machete over the years, now have the understanding that it is indeed,

...the weapon of choice in certain situations.

Cheap to purchase...and perfectly legal.

wendy devlin

Mar 17, 2006, 2:28 PM

Post #54 of 57 (1218 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes, alex, feelings are very important.

I take special care not to arouse...them:)

sfmacaws

Mar 17, 2006, 3:26 PM

Post #55 of 57 (1207 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Of course women cops don't constantly "handle the hardware" like men do. I'll wager they spend a fair amount of time discussing their feelings about such things tho'....8<)

Well, we laughed about it some. Not a lot of talk though, it was just the way it was.

"Where's your partner?"
"Oh, he's in the locker room fondling guns"
"Yeah, mine too. Kick the door and let's get out of here"

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

kittythegm

Mar 17, 2006, 3:40 PM

Post #56 of 57 (1200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DoDi2] What Safety Measures Do You Take

| Private Reply
I apologize for my choice of words!!!

The drivers of these vehicles are not only brown but also white and black. What really triggers one's curiosity are all of the tattoos, the chains and the "gang style" clothing. I often wonder why the cops cannot see what I see but then again they are not allowed to profile. Gangs are a big problem here as with other medium to large cities NOB. Drive-by shootings happen all too often and the vehicle descriptions given out by the press fall into these categories. Many of these events are drug related - just maybe this is where the money comes from?

Gringal

Mar 17, 2006, 3:43 PM

Post #57 of 57 (1197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kittythegm] What Safety Measures Do You Take

| Private Reply
" Many of these events are drug related - just maybe this is where the money comes from?"

You think?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4