Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

raferguson

Mar 14, 2006, 8:34 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3718 views)

Shortcut

Coppersmiths in Santa Clara del Cobre, Michoacan

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have a really off the wall question about the coppersmiths of Santa Clara del Cobre, Michoacan. As my signature says, I am a metal sculptor. I am a member of Colorado Metalsmiths, and I was talking to the president of the organization, and mentioned the copper work there, and how I understood that it was done, red hot, etc. I just bought a copper pot in a gallery from someone who is a coppersmith himself, and he was explaining to me how it was done.

The president of the organization expressed an interest in having someone from Santa Clara or other traditional copperwork town come to Colorado and do a demonstration for the members. We would be able to pay all expenses and provide an honorarium.

My question is whether anyone has a lead on how I could identify a coppersmith to come to Colorado. There is no need for the coppersmith to speak English; I can translate, and the important thing is the demonstration, not a long speech by the artist.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Richard Ferguson

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

(This post was edited by raferguson on Mar 14, 2006, 8:43 PM)

sfmacaws

Mar 14, 2006, 8:40 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3708 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Coppersmiths in Santa Clara del Cobre, Michoacan

Richard,

I would PM Esperanza if she doesn't see this. I have quite a few pieces bought in Santa Clara and when I was going there to do some buying, she gave me the name and location of one of the finest artists in town. I toured his workshop and his pieces are incredible, they were also out of my price range. They were made in the central courtyard of his workshop with a brick surrounded open fire and red hot metal. I think he would be a good place to start looking for the right person. Unfortunately, I can't find the info that Esperanza gave me so hopefully she still has it. If not, I'll do some more searching. I know it is in my notes somewhere.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

song_of_joy

Mar 14, 2006, 8:53 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3706 views)

Shortcut

The people at www.novica.com might be able to put you in touch with someone...

They focus on the artisan as well as his or her work. Take a peek at this:
http://www.novica.com/...index.cfm?pid=117854

jennifer rose

Mar 14, 2006, 9:57 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3702 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
There is no shortage of talented coppersmiths in Santa Clara de Cobre who could fill your requirements. Ignacio Punzo Angel is one, and so is his brother.

The easiest way to handle this would be for you to contact:

Juan José Paz www.cobreelporton.com portonartesan@yahoo.com.mx tel/fax: (434) 34 30 305

and ask for his input.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4