Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Anonimo

Mar 10, 2006, 2:50 AM

Post #1 of 6 (9016 views)

Shortcut

Carne En Su Jugo, Caldo de Res, Mole de Olla, y Pozole

Can't Post | Private Reply
I received a PM from a friend on the Lonelyplanet.com Thorn Tree Mexico Branch, with a link to a web page of Chicago dining. There's a great and extensive posting about eating Carne en su jugo on that site.
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7322
I replied,

Thanks; I've heard of this dish but never had an opportunity to try it.
It seems a variant of Caldo de Res, or even Mole de Olla, but now that I think about it, it's closest to "Caldillo", a Norteño caldo, made with chopped meat and chiles. That may be the ancestor of Texas Carne con Chile, or Chile Con Carne.
I have not yet seen CESJ in Michoacán.

Apart from that, yesterday our neighbors, Sergio and Betty, had us to comida. Betty made a superb Pozole Rojo Estilo Jalisco, one of the best we've ever eaten. It was made totally from scratch, even to the treating with cal of dried maíz pozolero into the flowering pieces. The meat was pork, although she may have used chicken as well. The pozole had pureed chiles guajillos, and we were served the usual accompaniments of cebolla picada, orégano, salsa de chile guajillo, lechuga and rábanos.
This pozole was virtually grease-free.

The question is: how does CESJ differ from birria and from barbacoa? The previously cited Chigago website attempts to address this, illustrated with numerous photos and even charts!

Pozole Rojo Estilo Jalisco

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Esteban

Mar 10, 2006, 6:44 AM

Post #2 of 6 (9004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Carne En Su Jugo, Caldo de Res, Mole de Olla, y Pozole

In our neck of the woods, "Carne en Su Jugo" is a brand name. They sell vacuumed packaged meat that is marinated in spices.

sfmacaws

Mar 13, 2006, 9:43 PM

Post #3 of 6 (8950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Carne En Su Jugo, Caldo de Res, Mole de Olla, y Pozole

There's a restaurant in Guadalajara that Esperanza has taken us to several times, it is called Garibaldi's and the only thing they serve is Carne en su jugo. Excellent and they have the best refried beans I've ever had. It doesn't look like the pictures in the Chicago article though, perhaps Esperanza knows more. They are in the Guiness Book of Records for the fastest service of any restaurant. You sit down and the food starts appearing, course it's easier when you only serve one thing and all you need to know is large or small portion. Lately I've been finding their beans canned in supermarkets, mainly in central Mexico but occasionally even down here in the south. The canned version is pretty good but not as good as the fresh ones.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

mjeble

Mar 14, 2006, 3:40 PM

Post #4 of 6 (8927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Carne En Su Jugo, Caldo de Res, Mole de Olla, y Pozole

When we were in Guad at the Gallaria just yesterday, I noticed that Carne Garibaldi is in the food court there. Darn, we had just eaten. I sure would have loved to try it there. We have been going to a restaurant in Chapala for CESJ, and really like it.

Myra

Listen to what I mean, not what I say.

DavidMcL / Moderator

Mar 14, 2006, 4:12 PM

Post #5 of 6 (8920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mjeble] Carne En Su Jugo, Caldo de Res, Mole de Olla, y Pozole

Which one?
David McL
WebJefe

mjeble

Mar 14, 2006, 6:12 PM

Post #6 of 6 (8908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Carne En Su Jugo, Caldo de Res, Mole de Olla, y Pozole

At the Galleria on Ave. Vallarta. They even had their Guiness World Record sign in the store. Now, this is just a small place. I didn't venture in, but it seems you get your Carne en su jugo and go to the side and get your extras.d Or did you mean the restaurant in Chapala. If so, never noticed the name. It's right on Madero. I'll look more closely next time.

Myra

Listen to what I mean, not what I say.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4