Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rolly

Mar 6, 2006, 7:52 PM

Post #1 of 39 (5409 views)

Shortcut

Car registration in South Dakota

Can't Post | Private Reply
Several people have commented about the ease with which one can register a car in South Dakota by mail without having an address in the state. Today (Sunday) I got this e-mail from a man planning a move to Mexico:

I (mistakenly) talked to someone at the South Dakota DMV today (I'm buying a new car, and thought I'd have to pay sales tax on it there if I registered there), and was told the practice of registering cars in SD without a residence there is legally restricted to RV owners who live in the RV 365 days/year. If they crack down on this, are we going to have to start registering in TX?

This is all I know on the subject. Anyone have any more information?

Rolly Pirate

1ajijic

Mar 8, 2006, 4:25 PM

Post #2 of 39 (5325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Car registration in South Dakota

ARGHHHH If these fools don't stop screwing around they will kill the whole thing for everyone. You do NOT call the DMV. All the required info is on my website under cars page. We renewed both of ours this year no problemo and I was told that they are still accepting new aplicants. And yes we did buy a new car in Texas and paid only the SD sales tax, and the dealership got all the paperwork done in SD. Check my website and do it right before the whole thing gets canceled due to tontos!!
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

johnv

Mar 8, 2006, 6:48 PM

Post #3 of 39 (5300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Car registration in South Dakota

Yes, there will always be those who, insist on speaking to "The Authorities", go by "The Book", and cower with lower lip trembling, accepting all from Big Brother. Fotunately, I have Texas plates and am not affected by it.

mainelady

Mar 9, 2006, 3:02 PM

Post #4 of 39 (5244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Car registration in South Dakota

The attorney I use in Ajijic also handles car registrations through South Dakota. I asked and was told it is still possible although he had heard the rumor that the state was no longer allowing it. I am relieved!

johanson

Mar 9, 2006, 4:19 PM

Post #5 of 39 (5229 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mainelady] Car registration in South Dakota

You mentioned an attorney. I would like to get advice from that person about my Texas plated car. Would you please let me know who you use?

Thanks for your help

ignacio

Mar 11, 2006, 7:06 AM

Post #6 of 39 (5158 views)

Shortcut

I went to the site that you mention, new beginnings, and I didn't find the information about the SD plates that you say is there..... would you be so kind as to point out exactly where your information is ? (for us 'tontos')

Rolly

Mar 11, 2006, 7:56 AM

Post #7 of 39 (5142 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Car registration in South Dakota

Here is what you need to do:

For instruction and costs, call 605-677=7123 which is the office of the
Clay County Treasurer
211 W. Main Street, Suite 201
Vermillion, SD 57069.

They will tell you what it costs and what to do. Then go to
https://www.state.sd.us/...otorVehicleTitle.pdf
to download the form.

Mail the completed form with a check to the Clay County Treasurer, and soon your plates will come in the mail.

Rolly Pirate

Bubba

Mar 11, 2006, 8:17 AM

Post #8 of 39 (5137 views)

Shortcut

An alternative to all of this South Dakota stuff - which may bite the dust soon enough, is keep your U.S. plates from wherever and, if you need to return to the states, do the following:

Get a Texas address at Mail Boxes, Etc. or some such place for a month (+/- $30US) - Very Important
Drive to the Texas border
Buy liability insurance in the minimal amount required by that state (+-$50US)
Get a safety inspection required by the state and any number of inspection stations (+- $25)
Go to the licensing authority and apply for Texas registration only without title transfer
They will hand you Texas license plates

When they ask for your telephone #, give them the # of your hotel or tell them you have just moved there and have yet to get a telephone.

If you don't have a Mail Boxes, Etc near you, simply drive to Texas and get a PMB there.

Then, when you return to Mexico simply drive on these plates even after they expire.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 11, 2006, 8:19 AM)

ignacio

Mar 11, 2006, 8:32 AM

Post #9 of 39 (5129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Car registration in South Dakota

Thanks for the infor Rolly and Bubba !

Ignacio

1ajijic

Mar 11, 2006, 10:29 AM

Post #10 of 39 (5106 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Car registration in South Dakota

At the home page go to "Cars in Mexico" on that page go to "South Dakota Registration"

Bubba

Mar 11, 2006, 12:37 PM

Post #11 of 39 (5080 views)

Shortcut

One of the problems I encountered driving a U.S. plated car in the U.S. after living down here for a couple of years with no U.S. insurance is that the only insurance I could get when I drove to texas, even with current Texas plates, was the minimally required liability insurance. When I inquired as to collision, theft and comprehensive, I was told by Texas insurance agents that those coverages would be prohibitively expensive if obtainable at all since I was uninsured at that time by a U.S. company. I was there to sell the car and I sold it ASAP. I wouldn't drive around the U.S. without full insurance coverage.

On the other hand, if I drive my Mexican plated car to the United States, Canada or Guatemala, my Mexican auto insurance would cover me fully with the exact same coverage as if I were driving in Mexico except for local liability. So, if you drive a Mexican plated car, you only need buy liabilty insurance at the border.

Buy Mexican, I say.

latitude26

Mar 11, 2006, 7:09 PM

Post #12 of 39 (5035 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, I must be dense but you're saying you can use any US address for yourself on the application and retitle or register a new vehicle to obtain a South Dakota registration? No South Dakota address or matching driver's license is needed ?

Rolly

Mar 11, 2006, 8:05 PM

Post #13 of 39 (5019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [latitude26] Car registration in South Dakota

No South Dakota address or matching driver's license is needed?

Right. It doesn't even have to be a USA address. You can use your Mexican address.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Mar 12, 2006, 5:45 AM)

latitude26

Mar 11, 2006, 10:51 PM

Post #14 of 39 (5005 views)

Shortcut

wow- that's some useful information.

Thank you Rolly and 1ajijic

1ajijic

Mar 12, 2006, 9:24 AM

Post #15 of 39 (4961 views)

Shortcut

Rolly. You do have to have a US address and a social security number, Please DO NOT put a mexico address.

Gringal

Mar 12, 2006, 10:03 AM

Post #16 of 39 (4956 views)

Shortcut

What's a Mexico address? Retirement requires downsizing. Don't we all live in tiny postal boxes in Laredo, Texas? .

johanson

Mar 12, 2006, 11:01 AM

Post #17 of 39 (4938 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Car registration in South Dakota

You're joking right. Smile Even with a Laredo address your water, telephone and cable bills are sent to either your Mexican address or Apartado (spelling?) Even your FM 2 or FM 3 has a place for your "DOMICILIO ACTUAL"

SteveInPVR

Jun 1, 2006, 4:03 PM

Post #18 of 39 (4822 views)

Shortcut

DAMN! I wish I had read this before I called the DMV office in South Dakota today. I explained what I wanted to do and the clerk told me that it wasn't possible. Now reading about the Clay County offce, I recall that's who I spoke with previously, and they told me no problem. Now, I am in the states, with my auto and original title in Mexico. I have a copy of the title here, but I'm concerned that they won't accept a copy. Anybody have experience with this?
Steve
Steve

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jun 1, 2006, 4:45 PM

Post #19 of 39 (4815 views)

Shortcut

Re: [latitude26] Car registration in South Dakota

In Reply To
Sorry, I must be dense but you're saying you can use any US address for yourself on the application and retitle or register a new vehicle to obtain a South Dakota registration? No South Dakota address or matching driver's license is needed ?

You need to establish residence (mailing address) in S Dak before you can register your car there.
Then you have 3 months to visit SD and get your drivers license.
The easiest and cheapest way I've found is at www.americas-mailbox.com
Getting older and still not down here.

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Jun 1, 2006, 4:48 PM)

mainelady

Jun 3, 2006, 9:01 AM

Post #20 of 39 (4698 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Car registration in South Dakota

I just received my South Dakota plates in the mail 2 days ago and they are now on my car. I used my MBE address in Laredo. The titled should arrive in another 10 days to 2 weeks. For some reason I couldn't find my original title to my car (from Maine), so first had to request a duplicate which I did over the internet with no problem. So far, so good!

Bloviator

Jun 3, 2006, 9:06 AM

Post #21 of 39 (4696 views)

Shortcut

I'm considering SD license plates and the information that I have so far is different. According to what I understand, you do not have to have a SD address and you do not have to visit SD within three months. It is also my understanding that there is only one county in SD which still registers cars from here and that there is a possibility that it may end soon. If I'm correct, I'll probably decide the day after they end it to get my SD plates. Both of my cars have expired CA plates and I think I should do something.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jun 3, 2006, 12:37 PM

Post #22 of 39 (4670 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Car registration in South Dakota

What you say may be true but I've been looking at this stuff for two years and have never run across it. As far as one county only doing it, I doubt it. The State licenses the vehicles and if so, it would be the same for all counties. The reason you have to visit the state within 3 months is to have your picture taken for for a SD drivers license.

It is very easy to set up an account and use our address as your legal residence. In South Dakota and Florida, you don't even have to come up right away!! We can take care of it all for you! (Sorry, we can't get your driver's license for you...they won't let us put our picture on your drivers license.)

I have found that the link I provided a few posts back answers my requirements as far as vehicle registration/licensing and residency so I have stopped looking for other alternatives. I would suggest contacting Don (the owner) Office@Americas-Mailbox.com by email and see what they have to say. I have never found a state that registers vehicles without the owner being a resident unless there is a trust or LLC or something similar set up within the state. But again, I could be wrong. There does not seem to be much commonality in laws or requirements between any of the states NOB since 1776. At any rate, good luck with getting your plates & registration.

"I just received my South Dakota plates in the mail 2 days ago and they are now on my car. I used my MBE address in Laredo. The titled should arrive in another 10 days to 2 weeks. For some reason I couldn't find my original title to my car (from Maine), so first had to request a duplicate which I did over the internet with no problem. So far, so good!"

and you don't have to have residency established within the state ?? And you don't/won't need a SD drivers license ??

If I may ask, Which agency in SD are you using ? And I assume you're not establishing residency within SD ?

(This post was edited by Ron Pickering W3FJW on Jun 3, 2006, 12:49 PM)

Bloviator

Jun 3, 2006, 1:32 PM

Post #23 of 39 (4656 views)

Shortcut

Ron. We had this same discussion about three months ago. I did what you did. I checked out the SD regulations on the internet and insisted that one had to appear in SD to get registration. I was quickly disabused of that notion by a bunch of posters. I insisted it was illegal not to appear according to the regulations posted on the internet. I was really flamed about that. What can I say.

I know of at least two people who have registered their car in SD with nothing but filling out a form and sending about $40. One did it for a second time - a new car - just last week. He was in Georgia (I think) and got his registration overnighted along with $1 and some change from his check for the fee. He is now back here with his newly registered SD plate.

Don't ask me to explain the statement that only one county allows it at present. I can't verify it, though have read it on the forum and have it confirmed by a person who has looked into it very seriously - ie. gotten plates recently. Maybe someone can explain it better.

johanson

Jun 3, 2006, 4:12 PM

Post #24 of 39 (4629 views)

Shortcut

All I know is that there are many many South Dakota plates in the greater Ajijic-Chapala area. And not one of the persons I asked, said they were from SD. Me, I just keep on driving my 2001 Explorer with old Texas plates thereon. So far, no problem. I guess I will start worrying the day I take the car back to San Antonio, TX to trade it in for a new one.

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Jun 3, 2006, 4:44 PM

Post #25 of 39 (4616 views)

Shortcut

You got my curiosity up. Guess I'm going to have to do some more checking. Wonder what address everyone is using with SD registration and what bearing it has on auto insurance.??
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4