Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Anonimo

Mar 5, 2006, 5:56 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2253 views)

Shortcut

Photos of 2º Feria de Maíz Criollo, Pátzcuaro

Can't Post | Private Reply
This event took place March 4 and 5, 2006. It's a modest sized affair, promoting sustainable agriiculture and non-genetically modified crops. (I have little knowledge of these subjects and i am not qualified to opine on them.)

I went for the food, which was highly variable in quality.
The corn was colorful, and I took a few photos. http://www.pbase.com/panos/feria_dmaiz

We enjoyed meeting old friends and being introduced to new acquaintances.

Buen Provecho,
Anonimo

Here's a sample:

wendy devlin

Mar 5, 2006, 7:52 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2242 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Photos of 2º Feria de Maíz Criollo, Pátzcuaro

Thanks for the pictures taken at this event.

Maiz is such a part of Mexican patrimony, I would jump at a chance to attend a feria on the subject.

The corn in your photos is so varied and colorful.

As far as my understanding goes, some Mexicans, including scientists and indigenous people who still view their traditional relationship with corn as important, are concerned about the genetically modified corn varieties 'contaminating' traditional varieties.

Pollen released by genetically modified varieties is carried by wind and or insects, and it is impossible to prevent cross-fertilization.

For better or for worse, much of the commercially produced corn in Canada and the U.S. for the food industry is now genetically modified.

Sustainable agriculture generally supports the view that care should be taken to preserve traditional varieties of seeds especially crops for food so that bio-diversity is maintained and not increasingly limited. That mono-culture and heavy use of pesticides further impact bio-diversity.

I'm coordinating a regional event on that subject this coming weekend.
Grass-roots organization for sustainable agriculture and food security.

wendy devlin

Mar 6, 2006, 5:56 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Photos of 2º Feria de Maíz Criollo, Pátzcuaro

Link below to this weekend's coming feria de las semillas(en Canada)

If anyone has information on similiar types of events in Mexico, like the feria that Anonimo mentions, please pm me.

http://www.zwire.com/..._id=221583&rfi=6

Ed and Fran

Mar 6, 2006, 6:25 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2219 views)

Shortcut

Just by sheer coincidence, today's featured article in Wikipedia is on Dr Barbara McClintock, who did lots of work on maize genetics. Here's an excerpt from the article.

Barbara McClintock was a pioneering American scientist and one of the world's most distinguished cytogeneticists. McClintock received her PhD in botany from Cornell University in 1927, where she was a leader in the development of maize cytogenetics; the field remained the focus of her research for the rest of her career. Her work was groundbreaking: she developed the technique to visualize maize chromosomes and used microscopic analysis to demonstrate many fundamental genetic concepts, including genetic recombination by crossing-over during meiosis—a mechanism by which chromosomes exchange information. She produced the first genetic map for maize, linking regions of the chromosome with physical traits, and she demonstrated the role of the telomere and centromere, regions of the chromosome that are important in the conservation of genetic information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I suppose if you click on that link tomorrow it will give a different feature article, but you could still search on McClintock if you were interested.

RonMader

Mar 10, 2006, 4:17 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2178 views)

Shortcut

Beautiful!

Thanks for posting this link. I'll be adding a link from Planeta's modest guide to all things corn
http://www.planeta.com/.../ag/maize/maize.html

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4