Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

raquelita

Mar 5, 2006, 7:40 AM

Post #1 of 9 (3627 views)

Shortcut

Guanajuato is changing . . .

Can't Post | Private Reply
but don't despair. In many ways, it is still the same laidback place. Does have more choice of good inexpensive restaurants though and finally (although maybe temporarily) more foreign films. There are at least three hostels here now.

Blackjack Davie

Mar 5, 2006, 8:24 AM

Post #2 of 9 (3612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raquelita] Guanajuato is changing . . .

Hello Raquelita, I will be arriving in Gto. on the 17th of March. This will be my third visit but the first in about four years. I stay with a family on Pastita and they have agreed to take me in again. Great folks! I'm excited to see how things have changed but I like this city so much that I hope that much remains the same.

Bubba

Mar 5, 2006, 10:10 AM

Post #3 of 9 (3602 views)

Shortcut

This is one of the most beautiful colonial cities in the Americas. It may be changing but we sure enjoyed our visit there a month or so ago. How did they build this place? We'll be back for sure.

TigerTonio

Mar 6, 2006, 9:08 AM

Post #4 of 9 (3552 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Guanajuato is changing . . .

I'll join in on the chorus of praises for Guanajuato. One of my favorite cities in the world. It's a treat. I recently spent 3 1/2 weeks there. During this last visit, I did notice some new, trendy restaurants and the cobblestone on the main drag was replaced with a more tourist-friendly path. Met some wonderful people, saw some great theatre and opera, and the university ballet folklorico group is top notch. Not quite sure I could actually live there and have to deal with the cries of "aguaaaaa cielllll" and "gaaaas" up and down the many callejones on a daily basis...but I do intend to return again...and again...and again... :-)

LOVE ciudad de Guanajuato...

CCarol

Mar 7, 2006, 10:44 AM

Post #5 of 9 (3472 views)

Shortcut

Poor memory (I relate it to age) but we visited Gto. over 10 years ago and ate at the most unique and beautiful restaurant. It was actually a large (stone?) castle-like building. We were able to tour some of the rooms. The food was wonderful and the surroundings were very classy! We then drove up to a higher place that overlooked the city and that same old hotel/restaurant. I know Gto. is a large city but does anyone know the name of that place? I'd certainly like to visit again some day...I loved everything about that city.
Carol

"Be kind, for everyone you know is facing a great battle." (Philo of Alexandria)

Anonimo

Mar 7, 2006, 11:57 AM

Post #6 of 9 (3458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CCarol] Guanajuato is changing . . .

Castillo de Santa Cecilia?
Valenciana Mine?

Saludos,
Anonimo

CCarol

Mar 8, 2006, 10:18 AM

Post #7 of 9 (3386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Guanajuato is changing . . .

I'm told in a PM that it's called The Castillo. Anonimo, I'm not sure if the full name is Castillo de Santa Cecila or not. It is a very assuming structure and I'm sure one of the "must see" places in Gto. It must be very popular with tourist and famous in it's own right due to the history and current architectural beauty. I MUST return!

Thanks to Raquelita and Anonimo for the info.
Carol

"Be kind, for everyone you know is facing a great battle." (Philo of Alexandria)

misslyn

Mar 9, 2006, 12:13 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3335 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CCarol] Guanajuato is changing . . .

Carol-

I believe this is what you're looking for: http://www.channels.nl/11281639c.html - El Castillo de Santa Cecilia near Valenciana. I've only seen it in passing on the way to and from classes but I'll make a point to include it on my next visit. I loved Guanajuato - thanks for reminding us what a unique city it is.

Lyn in San Diego

CCarol

Mar 11, 2006, 8:18 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] Guanajuato is changing . . .

Thanks Lyn,
Yes, I do believe that is the place I visited in about 1990. It's certainly worthy of a return visit and I'd like to do that sometime next year. Very beautiful castle!

Carol

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4