Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

trpt2345

Feb 28, 2006, 8:42 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2030 views)

Shortcut

Renting a car in Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have tried renting a car in Veracruz several times and while we have done so it has been really expensive for kind of lousy cars. Is there any insider way to rent a car for less than $80 or $90 USD? We're going to need a car for at least four or five days in April when we're there. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Michael McLaughlin "El Bolillo ranchero"

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Feb 28, 2006, 8:57 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2023 views)

Shortcut

Re: [trpt2345] Renting a car in Veracruz

I do not live south of border, but everything I have ever heard is that one should rent (reserve) a car from one of the agencies (Hertz, Thrifty, etc.) that may have a business in Mexico, in the US, before leaving on your trip as it is much cheaper than renting in MX.
Will probably require asking around at the local agencies where you reside.
Getting older and still not down here.

NJ2VER

Mar 1, 2006, 7:34 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2004 views)

Shortcut

Re: [trpt2345] Renting a car in Veracruz

It is cheaper to rent a car in Mexico city and to drive 5 hours to Veracruz. I rented a Dodge Vernia AKA Hyundia Elantra (intermediate size) from National (reserved on nationals web site and insured by my master card) in Mexico city and it is costing me about $300 for 2 weeks including taxes. Renting at the Veracruz airport seems to cost more. Renting a nissan tsuru, which is like a 1990 nissan sentra, is cheaper too. Do not expect airbags in any rental car here, so be sure to drive extra carfully and try to drive during daylight. Yesterday I drove into one way Ave Revolution in Xalapa the wrong way (which has no do not enter signs) and almost met my maker. Good luck.

-Marc

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4