Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jean

Feb 23, 2006, 1:53 PM

Post #1 of 31 (3406 views)

Shortcut

Subway?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I hear rumors of a Subway franchise coming to Lakeside. Anyone have any information? Could Starbucks be next.

Jean
Retirement Communities
http://www.retirecommunities.com

johanson

Feb 23, 2006, 8:30 PM

Post #2 of 31 (3352 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jean] Subway?

Yep. There is a sign up at the new mini shopping center near the new Pemex, stating that one store-front is a future Subway site.

Although there is no official Starbucks here yet, what I can tell you is that if you were to do a netstumbler (access point) search, two of the many access points here in greater Ajijic; are called "Starbucks_downtown" and the other "Starbucks-Ajijic". I can not give too much away, but both connections are a little faster than the 768 kb/sec up and down connection offered to the public by Lagunanet.

Bubba

Feb 24, 2006, 6:58 AM

Post #3 of 31 (3324 views)

Shortcut

That's good news about Subway. I particularly like their Italian style sandwich. I think Starbucks is overrated and way overpriced with its fru-fru drinks and stale coffee. However, they are also welcome for rich guys like Pete who don't mind spending $45 Pesos for a caramel latte. If they made a good Irish Coffee with Irish Whiskey, I'd join him there.

I read elsewhere on another forum that there is a new place in Riberas making a thin crust pizza and cooking good steaks. We may have to try that soon.

As was stated on that other forum, what we need now is a Burger King, In-and-Out Burger, White Castle, Korean take out BBQ, decent Chinese food, thin crust pizzas cooked in wood burning stoves and so forth. I look forward to the day the libramiento is franchise and take out city just like Salina, Kansas. I'm not kidding.. If I've got to live in a SOB version of Kansas, I want some fast food.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Feb 24, 2006, 7:16 AM)

Jean

Feb 24, 2006, 9:54 AM

Post #4 of 31 (3288 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Subway?

I do not do fru-fru drinks LOL. But I do love my pizza.

Jean
Retirement Communities

jaybear

Feb 24, 2006, 10:43 AM

Post #5 of 31 (3276 views)

Shortcut

San Lorenzo is the new Italian bistro-type place in Riberas, and it is located where the French restaurant used to be, on the right side going toward Chapala. Look for the giant inflated coke can, which is not exactly in keeping with the style of the place, but they do serve coke and the balloon makes a good way to spot the place. We have been there 2 nights in a row (our house has been covered in plaster dust inside), and it was great. It was crowded one night, deserted the next. Go there before the word gets out, or call for a reservation; their number is 765-7172. The young chef in the kitchen is very energetic and wonderful to watch, with his flaming saute pans. Just hope he does not run out of energy; it is hard work managing a kitchen singlehandedly!

And Bubba, San Lorenzo is MUCH better than Subway!!!!!!!

By the way, we took the suggestion of trying the tacos at the Tacoria Bodegita (sp?) just west of Colon on the south side of the carreterra, the place that is run by the La Bodega family. They were wonderful--the Mexican equivalent of Bubba's sliders. We took them home, warmed them in the microwave and sprinked them with their sauces and onions and coriander (they gave us liberal amounts in separate baggies), and, gringos that we are, we added chopped tomato and lettuce.

And instead of dreaming of Starbucks, may I suggest the coffee cafe opposite the Church has great coffee and is a nice place to stop after dinner in town. These hot days, a frappicino tastes mighty good! They are open 9 to 9 every day.

So much for the restaurant commercials!!
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

Jean

Feb 24, 2006, 10:59 AM

Post #6 of 31 (3269 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jaybear] Subway?

Which church on what street please?

Jean
Retirement Communities

bournemouth

Feb 24, 2006, 11:19 AM

Post #7 of 31 (3265 views)

Shortcut

Calle Parroquia in Ajijic and the church of San Andres, Ajijic.

Bubba

Feb 24, 2006, 11:39 AM

Post #8 of 31 (3260 views)

Shortcut

Well, Jaybear:

I stopped by San Lorenzo in Riberas on my way back from the wonderful chicken purveyor Puritan Poultry where I stocked up on my usual boneless chicken breasts so fresh they still squawk when you unload them from your car and the place doesn't open 'till 1:00PM but I had a look at the menu. Bubba be goin' there for a selection from their extensive pizza menu even though Ms. Bubba is a Frog and hates most Italian cooking and all Italian men so I must intorduce this place gently.

As with Jaybear, I had to stop at La Taqueria de Bodeguita on the way home to Six Corners where I had four delicious tacos of different types with the best variety of salsas in this town. An unbelievable treat for $20 Pesos plus eating the food of the great Maria. Don't miss this place.

ekammin

Feb 25, 2006, 10:48 AM

Post #9 of 31 (3168 views)

Shortcut

As anyone who has lived in Canada, or even visited will tell you, what is needed is a Harvey's (real broiled hamburgers and your choice of toppings, not all that guck mixed together) and poutine, and a Mr. Sub, which makes Subway seem like just so much overprocessed meat. A "Pizza Pizza" franchise would be welcome, too.

Jean

Feb 25, 2006, 4:58 PM

Post #10 of 31 (3133 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ekammin] Subway?

Let's not forget Swiss Chalet, Tim Hortons, The Coffee Cup, Baquette and for Westerners, Panago Pizza.

Jean
Retirement Communities

Ron Pickering W3FJW

Feb 25, 2006, 6:12 PM

Post #11 of 31 (3118 views)

Shortcut

Subway...hmmmm. I'll feel right at home next month. Starbucks ..... eeech!
Getting older and still not down here.

Howard Botz

Feb 26, 2006, 8:01 AM

Post #12 of 31 (3079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Pickering W3FJW] Subway?

Being a lifelong Seattlleite, in my previous life, I do like Starbucks frappucinnos (although I have no idea how to spell it). I was at the airport here this past week picking up friends and while I was waiting I had a mocha frappuccino with hazel nut.....it was heaven.

Howard in Ajijic

Gary Anderson

Feb 26, 2006, 10:16 AM

Post #13 of 31 (3068 views)

Shortcut

As does Bubba, I welcome the arrival of Subway in Ajijic, although I'll probably regain some of the weight I've lost. And if San Lorenzo in Riberas puts out a decent pizza, it will be the first in the area, IMO, if you don't count the ones I make at home, which usually end up costing me about $40 US and half a day's shopping, so I don't make them all that often.

Which reminds me - can somebody tell me where I can buy a pizza stone around here, you know, those ceramic things that you put in the oven while it's preheating to cook your pizza on?

GA

jaybear

Feb 26, 2006, 5:50 PM

Post #14 of 31 (3019 views)

Shortcut

The coffee cafe is opposite San Andres, the big church to the east of the plaza, on Marcos Castellanos. One Sunday, we enjoyed capucinos while admiring the christening celebration at the next table; the kids were adorable in their frilly organza dresses and wee suits. We thought we were being discreet, but obviously they knew we had been watching them, because the father waved goodby to my husband when they left!

Amazingly, this is a chain out of Texas. But the coffee beans are Mexican.
"Don't believe everything you think" - Maxine

JayBear

1ajijic

Feb 27, 2006, 6:55 AM

Post #15 of 31 (2983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gary Anderson] Subway?

Gary,
Pizza stone. I looked here but nada, ended up buying one on ebay and had a friend mule it down for me. Even if you found one at some of the fancier kitcken stores in Guad I'll bet it would be major$$$$. Maybe check out Tom's-excuse me Barb's bazaar or one of their many house clearing sales. Might find one there.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

Gary Anderson

Feb 27, 2006, 9:53 AM

Post #16 of 31 (2956 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Subway?

Thanks, Chris, I'll check out Barbara's from time to time. I'll be going NoB for a few weeks in June, so if I don't find one locally I'll just get one while there and mule it back myself.

GA

DavidMcL

Feb 27, 2006, 10:37 AM

Post #17 of 31 (2943 views)

Shortcut

I have found that a good comal - the round steel platters usually used over a flame to cook - works beautifully. Mine is the size of an extra large pizza and weighs in at around 5 pounds. The crust it produces is wonderful. And yes, put it into the oven first whilst it is pre-warming.
Any good Tianguis will have the for sale. I cured mine first and have never had a sticking problem.

David
David McL
WebJefe

mkdutch

Mar 2, 2006, 1:31 AM

Post #18 of 31 (2845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Subway?

What did you use, David? Something like Pam? I used it to season the inside of a new BBQ and it worked great....Dutch

mkdutch

Mar 2, 2006, 1:43 AM

Post #19 of 31 (2845 views)

Shortcut

Just a general comment on the Lakeside restaurant scene: we've lived here part-time since 1999, and have noticed a marked improvement over the years in good dining choices. Sure, we've lost some goodies, but have gained even more.BTW, Taco Bubba IS right - they're great. He also ought to try MinWah's Shrimp in Lobster Sauce, or, if one likes a far better but similar to Sweet & Sour Chicken, ask for "Pollo ala Naranga" (not on the menu as is the "Res ala Naranja" (beef). The orange sauce is a little sweet, but great. While their food is gringo-ized Chinese, there are many good dishes available...Dutch

Bubba

Mar 2, 2006, 6:33 AM

Post #20 of 31 (2822 views)

Shortcut

We use a very large natural clay comal we got in Oaxaca, before that we but had large clay tiles cut and us them to line the shelve in the oven. I am sure the artisans making clay pots etc would make a tone at a fraction of what you would pay for a stone from the States. Bringing a stone from the US to Mexico seems a little silly. ou just need something that will retain moisture.

DavidMcL

Mar 2, 2006, 6:39 AM

Post #21 of 31 (2818 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mkdutch] Subway?

I used sesame oil and then baked it in the oven at a low temp (around 250 F) for a couple of hours. Never use soap to clean it, just a good scouring.
Works great.
David McL
WebJefe

caldwelld

Mar 2, 2006, 6:45 AM

Post #22 of 31 (2817 views)

Shortcut

I have a little trouble seeing what is so great about Subway. My experience, while limited for sure (twice), was that their quality control left much to be desired - buns were stale and soggy and the meat tasted like it had been left out of the firdge too long. But then I feel the same about most fast food although I like the barbecued chicken places and taco stands around here and will drop into a burger shop from time to time. As for coffee, never tried a Starbucks and in any case expresso would be my maximum speed - not that frufru stuff. On that note, there is a great little (expensive) coffee shop (not a Starbucks) in the Liverpool Mall in Queretero. Hopefully the city fathers in this burg (SMA) will continue to prevent the likes of Subway etc from settling here for some time to come.
dondon

Bubba

Mar 2, 2006, 8:48 AM

Post #23 of 31 (2803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [caldwelld] Subway?

What a shame to be pleased that SMA is determined to prevent a Subway franchise in its precious midst so that some poor local slob can hire two or three locals to make sandwiches for a few pennies in some unobtrusive corner store. They obviously had no problem with Pollo Feliz in SMA which, when I was there, was packed with local guys just back from the field and enjoying themselves. I've lived in several of these self-righteous towns on the California coast and I can tell you this. Not one of them was a pleasure to live in. The locals' butts were so high in the air, their designer jeans had to be made with elevated butt pockets.

Gary Anderson

Mar 2, 2006, 10:48 AM

Post #24 of 31 (2774 views)

Shortcut

Good idea, Bubba, I'll look into having one made. I also like David's idea of a big steel comal, which now has me thinking that when I check out Barbara's Bazar, I'll look for a big cast iron skillet so I can make deep-dish pizzas, too.

As for caldwelld's take on Subway, he is of course entitled to his opinion, which he admits is based on practically no experience. I don't recall anyone saying that Subway is gourmet dining, but it certainly is an alternative that has as yet been unavailable here and as such I welcome it. And I'm glad that he is happy in insular little SMA - it's a lovely city - but when I visited there a year or so ago, I found that so many of the local extranjeros seemed to consider themselves so cool just because they could afford to live there that I was almost embarrassed by it. Maybe I just met the wrong ones.

GA

Gringal

Mar 2, 2006, 12:04 PM

Post #25 of 31 (2764 views)

Shortcut

"Maybe I just met the wrong ones. "

Yup. There's plenty of them, and also some very down-to-earth folks who were probably doing something useful with their lives instead of hanging out in the restaurants specializing in "confusion food" or sitting on their high-butt pockets in the square.

Last week I was on one of those long bus trips where they think that "lunch" is a quick stop at the OXXO for junk food which includes much grease and little if any protein. I was delighted to see a Subway near the square in Puebla which allowed us to carry some tasty sandwiches for the trip home. Gourmet food it ain't, but just fine for plain nutrition when you're tired of Mexican fast food. It beats me why we have a Domino's Pizza, but Subway is a no-no in SMA. Puleeze.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4