Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Camille

Feb 22, 2006, 12:07 PM

Post #1 of 18 (9634 views)

Shortcut

Salsa Diablo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Anyone care to share a recipe for an authentic salsa diablo? I only know it's red and WAAAY too hot for me, but I want to serve it to a friend with a fiery palate.
Thanks!

Rolly

Feb 22, 2006, 1:31 PM

Post #2 of 18 (9616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Salsa Diablo

“Authentic” is one of those eye of the beholder words. Salsa Diablo is made differently in parts of Mexico and in the USA. My friend Doña Martha makes a simple version which she calls Salsa Casera (literally salsa homemade); I call it Liquid Fire. Hers contains only chiles de arbol. Other versions may contain one or several other hot chiles.

http://rollybrook.com/salsa-casera.htm You can use this as a starter and add a few other chiles to stoke up the furnace.

Rolly Pirate

Camille

Feb 22, 2006, 2:29 PM

Post #3 of 18 (9612 views)

Shortcut

I guess then I should be asking for a west coast version.... usually I can approximate a sauce by tasting, but in this case it's out of the question... I will always remember my first and only taste!

Anonimo

Feb 27, 2006, 2:14 AM

Post #4 of 18 (9554 views)

Shortcut

So far, I haven't encountered a sauce of the name "Salsa Diablo/a" in Mexico, but then, I have a lot more territory yet to be seen.
Recently, while in Morelia, we enjoyed some sopes in the front room of a house of a Señora in Colonia Felix Ireta. It's not a restaurant, really, just a litlle business she and her partner run out of the front room. There were two sauces available for these really simple, yet delicious sopes de frijoles y queso: a salsa verde, and a salsa negra made from toasted chiles negras and chiles de árbol. She told me she'd tell me more on our next visit.

Los jugos de naranja recien exprimidos are from the front of the house next door. You can put together a nice breakfast, 2 sopes, one jugo, for less than $25 MXP.
That's one of the things I love about living in México.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Ed and Fran

Feb 27, 2006, 7:34 AM

Post #5 of 18 (9545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Salsa Diablo

...and a salsa negra made from toasted chiles negras and chiles de árbol...

What's 'chile negra'? That's a new one for me.

Ed

Anonimo

Feb 27, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 18 (9527 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Salsa Diablo

"Chile Negra"; apparently an alternate name for chile pasilla.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Ed and Fran

Feb 27, 2006, 6:32 PM

Post #7 of 18 (9523 views)

Shortcut

Okay, thanks. I'm familiar with chile pasilla.

Ed

Anonimo

Feb 27, 2006, 6:37 PM

Post #8 of 18 (9522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Salsa Diablo

Ed and Fran, I think that they toast the chiles almost to the point of burning them.

Btw, we went up to Chilchota, Michoacan today, to visit the Cosecha Purhépecha Salsa Fábrica, makers of artesanal, small-batch salsas. It was a very interesting visit. I hope to make a more detailed report tomorrow. Photos, too.

Buen Provecho,
Anonimo

Bubba

Feb 28, 2006, 7:34 AM

Post #9 of 18 (9502 views)

Shortcut

Diablo/a is a cooking method in Mexico, not a salsa per se. It implies that a dish is prepared with a red pepper base. I have never had a dish prepared "diablo" style that was in the least bit interesting or complex but I'm open to new ideas. Send me some recipes.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Feb 28, 2006, 7:35 AM)

DoDi2

Feb 28, 2006, 9:33 AM

Post #10 of 18 (9493 views)

Shortcut

There's a mexican take out nearby that has camarones lo diablo on the menu... I'll ask them what's in it and report back.

I have a feeling there may be lots of interpetations for the salsa though... I found this on my favorite mexican recipe website: Cocina Mexica http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/cocinamex.html
SALSA DIABLA
Ingredientes:
100 gr. de chile cascabel
1 taza de vinagre
6 dientes de ajo
Procedimiento:
Se desvenan los chiles, se asan y se dejan macerar en vinagre, durante toda la noche.
Al día siguiente se muelen en la licuadora con los dientes de ajo, hasta lograr la tersura de la salsa.

So according to this recipe it's basically a case of soaking chile cascabel in vinager overnight and then grinding it up in a blender with a lot of garlic.

Chile cascabel are these little guys... they're quite tasty:

I'll bet dimes to donuts though that camarones al diablo from our local take out aren't made with them... but I'm gonna find out for ya.

Gayla

Feb 28, 2006, 12:06 PM

Post #11 of 18 (9484 views)

Shortcut

Small world. I was there this past June when they were moving locations. Best Chipotle salsa I've ever tasted, especially from a bottle. Is it readily availalbe in Patz by any chance. I'll be there this weekend and was thinking about making an effort to search some out since I've exhausted the only bottle I brought home last June <sigh>

Anonimo

Feb 28, 2006, 5:06 PM

Post #12 of 18 (9471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] Salsa Diablo

Is it readily availalbe in Patz by any chance. I'll be there this weekend and was thinking about making an effort to search some out since I've exhausted the only bottle I brought home last June <sigh>

Yes, Gayla: go to Merza Pack Supermercado on Ave B. Mendoza (the westernmost one connecting la Plaza Grande and La Plaza Chica. It's just before you reach las Tortillas de Harina Yünuen.
(That is, if I haven't cornered the market on these salsas.)
You can see pics of Chilchota and la fábrica de Cosecha Purhépecha at http://www.pbase.com/panos/chilchota
I'm trying to fill in with a few pics of the salsas theselves, a ratito.

I need to go back and get more photos of the salsa, artisanal breads of the town, and of the wonderful scenery south west of there, enroute to Pátzcuaro by the western, high country route.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

(This post was edited by Anonimo on Feb 28, 2006, 11:17 PM)

Anonimo

Feb 28, 2006, 5:48 PM

Post #13 of 18 (9468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Salsa Diablo

Most of the seafood "a la diabla" (note: it's alwways a she-devil in Mexico) is a sort of tomato sauce spiked with chipotle.
I'll look it up in my authoritative Mexican cookbooks.;-)
(ahorita)

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Gayla

Feb 28, 2006, 8:35 PM

Post #14 of 18 (9455 views)

Shortcut

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm all over this one like white on rice :-). If I could find a way to import this stuff into the U.S. I'd become a very wealthy woman. And isn't Antonio a sweetheart?

Anonimo

Feb 28, 2006, 11:31 PM

Post #15 of 18 (9449 views)

Shortcut

This recipe seems fairly typical, although superior to many: http://www.mexconnect.com/...ncamarondiabeng.html

I guess the success of the dish depends on the skill and imagination of the cook. Some of the recipes I found were nothing more than warmed-up cocktail sauce over butter-sauteed shrimp.
I posted a photo of 4 of the 6 Salsas Purhépechas line: Salsa Chipotle, Salsa de Habanero, Salsa de Habanero Naranja, Salsa de Chile Perón. The salsa Chipotle, as Gayla has written, is the best I have ever tasted. The Salsa Habanero Naranja, is good, and stimulates ideas for fish, shellfish and chicken dishes. I do not yet have the salsa de Chile de Árbol and one other, whose name eludes me.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Bubba

Mar 1, 2006, 6:28 AM

Post #16 of 18 (9443 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for that Anonimo. I will be in Patzcuaro soon so don't buy up all the salsas..The salsa variety in the Chapala area isn't nearly as interesting.

Anonimo

Mar 1, 2006, 7:16 AM

Post #17 of 18 (9437 views)

Shortcut

Bubba, just go to Patz via Chilchota (just beyond Zamora). Stop at the Cosecha Purhépecha plant, if you want to buy a case of 24, 275 gram bottles. The price is $220 MXP.
(The address has changed from what's on the labels. It's on Calle Hidalgo, across from the Correos and Derecho Humanos just beyond. Phone ahead to make sure it's open Tel: (355)-511-5383.)
You can also buy it in stores in Chilchota; a good place is the tienda across the street from the plaza of the iglesia. See the photo, " Chilchota-Chips 'n Dips", here. http://www.pbase.com/panos/image/56645153
It's only 10 pesos a bottle!! Here in Patz, it's "marked up" to $10.69 at Merza's supermercado.

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Bubba

Mar 1, 2006, 8:51 AM

Post #18 of 18 (9428 views)

Shortcut

Done deal. I must go to the factory. Report coming up in the spring.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4