Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

johncash

Feb 20, 2006, 3:50 PM

Post #1 of 13 (3121 views)

Shortcut

Need Info - First trip to Jaltemba Bay area

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey everyone,

I'm entering a little more detailed post, hoping go get a little more detailed response.

This will be our first trip into Mexico. We will be flying into Puerto Vallarta and will need to make arrangements for transportation up to Jaltemba Bay area. We will be staying for a couple of weeks beginning the third week in July. There will be three people in our group, my wife, my 18 year old son, and myself. We are approaching retirement age and are looking for places to spend extended vacations and possibly retire in the years to come. We will require air conditioned rooms at this time of year. We are traveling on a budget and are looking for something nice but affordable. In additon to all the normal requirements of the typical tourists, we are Botanists and Horticulturists by occupation and are very interested in seeing any nurseries (viveros) or botanical gardens in the area as well as the native plant life. We will probably want to rent a car and make some side trips back into Puerto Vallarta and up to Tepic and San Blas. My spoken Spanish is good. My written Spanish is passable, but I prefer to correspond in English. Thanks for any help or suggestions you may be able to give me to make our trip enjoyable.

I would really like to hear some specific recommendations as where to stay and how to get from place to place, expecially to and from the airport. Where to rent a car, etc. I just need some help us to get there, and get a place to stay, then I can take it from there. More links to go to are very helpful, but what I really would like are personal recommendations from those of you who live there or visit.

We've been planning this trip for almost three years now and it finally looks like we're going to be able to make it happen this year. We almost had it last year and my daughter decided to deliver our first grandchild, so we had to postpone again.lol. I really hope we can meet with some of you while we are visiting. I've been lurking around in the shadows for long enough. We'll be down to see you soon.

If you want to contact me directly, my email is ExoticPlants@sport.rr.com. Check out my website and see what we do here in the states. You might find it interesting. We really enjoy it.

www.Ark-La-TexWaterGardens.com

Thanks so much,
John

Edited to make the URL clickable.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 20, 2006, 4:45 PM)

Rolly

Feb 20, 2006, 4:47 PM

Post #2 of 13 (3109 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johncash] Need Info - First trip to Jaltemba Bay area

Hi John, I'm sorry I can't answer your questions. I just want to say your website is stunning. My mouth is drooling. I had 3 ponds back in the old country, and I miss them.

Rolly Pirate

johncash

Feb 20, 2006, 4:53 PM

Post #3 of 13 (3104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Need Info - First trip to Jaltemba Bay area

Thanks, We really enjoy what we do. I'm still working on the website as I have time. I've got about two years of job pictures to put up and hopefully someday we'll have the online catalog done.

John

Camille

Feb 20, 2006, 6:59 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3094 views)

Shortcut

Two suggestions: Posada Las Flores in Los Ayala, just south of Guayabitos, and Casa Las Palmas in Punta Mita. posadalasflores.com and casalaspalmas.net .
Las Palmas has fully equipped kitchens, satellite tv, internet, and air conditioning.
Both places owned by nice folks, gringos.

esperanza

Feb 20, 2006, 7:23 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3093 views)

Shortcut

WOW! What an absolutely fantastic business, and how truly gorgeous your gardens and ponds are. Thanks so much for posting the link to your website.

Esperanza

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

johncash

Feb 20, 2006, 7:52 PM

Post #6 of 13 (3088 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Need Info - First trip to Jaltemba Bay area

Esperanza,

Thanks for your compliments. I know everyone says you shouldn't even try to get a job in Mexico, but I really enjoy doing the water gardens. You think there might be any demand for this sort of thing in Mexico. Since those pictures were taken on the website, we've done many more water features. One was a huge commercial job that totaled over $400,000 and one we are working on now that is over $100,000, not to mention dozens of smaller private jobs. It's really getting popular here. I met a guy at a trade show several weeks ago from Guadalajara. He told me that he had three nephews in Guadalajara that were architecs and that they might be interested in our work. I haven't persued it yet though. I don't think I would like living in Guadalajara. I really don't want to start another business in Mexico, but it might be fun to do one every once in awhile.

John

Camille

Feb 21, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #7 of 13 (3056 views)

Shortcut

There are two enormous viveros outside La Pinita, which is just north of Guayabitos. Both are favorite destinations for me, especially on Thursday mornings, when there's a big craft/food market in La Pinita. Everything from Oaxacan blankets to Colima straw goods and Jaliscan pottery to handmade jewelry to huge San Blas avocados and shrimp. This makes a great day trip, lunch on the beach at Los Ayala, maybe at Restaurante Alex, terrific local food....

wendy devlin

Feb 22, 2006, 9:18 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3006 views)

Shortcut

You might find the web-board listed below for ' Jaltemba Folk', a useful resource.

http://members5.boardhost.com/CasaLibertad/index.html

Cehovet

Feb 22, 2006, 9:59 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3001 views)

Shortcut

On renting a car, I have only done so for a week at a time and it paid immensely to reserve online. And I usually have time to shop well in advance. All the agencies Although the cars were probably some of the oldest in their garage, they have always been reliable.

The last couple of years I have been adding the liability insurance while renting. My credit card handles the car coverage but I have been convinced to pay for the liability as should there be an accident, I understand the parties are all held until guilt & culpability are established and ability to pay. Others can address this issue better than I.

Watch the speed traps as after visiting and driving in Mexico over the years I finally drive right into one. Again, others can probably explain better the dealings with the traffic police than I.

I am occasionally shocked at the risk some of the drivers take, especially on curves & rolling hills. I guess they figure no-one wants to get in an accident so ..............

anna

Feb 23, 2006, 1:56 PM

Post #10 of 13 (2981 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Need Info - First trip to Jaltemba Bay area

Hi!
Thanks Camille for the reccomendation! We are actually a Canadian (me) and Mexican (my husband). Though often mistaken for gringos!! We have fully equipped kitchens as well and will have air conditioning offered for the rooms on our second floor, satelite tv, and wireless internet access. John has already contacted me through our website for more information.

Anna
www.posadalasflores.com

anna

Feb 23, 2006, 2:01 PM

Post #11 of 13 (2980 views)

Shortcut

Hi John,

Your website is great!! Actually there is a shortage of knowledgeable people in our area and nearbye that do this type of work, most places contract out from Guadalajara and even then it seems they are "winging it" a bit.

The interest is there though, many of the hotels and some restaurants as well as private homes want and install various kinds of water features, but either dont know exactly what they want or dont get it done well or right and they end of not being used! Quite a waste!

We have a small fountain attached to our pool and we were really worried when it was being put in, so far so good though....
Anna

johncash

Feb 23, 2006, 5:05 PM

Post #12 of 13 (2964 views)

Shortcut

Re: [anna] Need Info - First trip to Jaltemba Bay area

Yes Anna, and I wanted to let you know, you're still on our top 10 list. Our busy season goes from March to June, with the peak being in April. We'll be gathering information about flight times, places to stay, things to see, and car to rent for the next 4 to 6 weeks when we get into the busy season again ( when the dinero starts flowing again, lol ). At that time we'll start reserving and paying for everything so it'll all be ready when we get there.

Keep the info comming.

Hope to see you all soon.

John

Camille

Feb 25, 2006, 10:49 AM

Post #13 of 13 (2911 views)

Shortcut

Here's another spot that might suit you, John.... www.encantomexico.com . I stayed there six years ago, when it was Campo des Artistes, and no one seemed to know what had become of it, but I bumped into the owner the other day (at a vivero in La Penita!) and it hasn't disappeared, just changed names. We had a lovely stay there, very quiet except for all the fun we were having!
It offers kitchen facilities, beautiful gardens, and a bohemian atmosphere.....

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4