Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

Anonimo

Feb 16, 2006, 11:35 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3443 views)

Shortcut

Tepache

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have successfully made a batch a Tepache, and have cautiously sampled it. It's quite good, but I am drinking it cautiously, as I have been warned by the Ppls GToMex that it can be laxative.
Discussion on the Thorn Tree:
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/...arentid=0&from=1

Just pictures:http://www.pbase.com/panos/tepache

I wasn't sure if jarro is the correct word for "mug".

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

wendy devlin

Feb 17, 2006, 1:28 PM

Post #2 of 6 (3408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Tepache

Tepache...good way to recycle pineapple parts...normally discarded.

There is an amusing novel set in a place remarkably like Mazatlán. The author, Donna M. Gershten lived in before-mentioned city for some 15 years. Her female protoganist is a teenage girl, who takes over her father's tepache selling business on the streets of the resort beach town.

From vendora, she moves up to different businesses, marries, moves to the U.S. and ultimately returns to retire, a wealthy single woman in the town.

This book, 'Kissing the Virgin's Mouth", helped to broaden my tepache lore:)
Catchy title too, dontcha think?

Now, can you make pulque, too? jeje

Anonimo

Feb 17, 2006, 2:55 PM

Post #3 of 6 (3405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Tepache

Now, can you make pulque, too? jeje

Pulque is for "saps". ;-)

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Feb 17, 2006, 3:54 PM

Post #4 of 6 (3403 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Tepache

Tazón=mug.

Try serving your tepache with a big pinch of bicarbonate of soda, added to each tazón just before drinking. Legend has it that it's the best cure for a sour stomach.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Anonimo

Feb 17, 2006, 4:52 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Tepache

I added the juice of a limón to today's tazón of Tepache. It balanced out the remaining sweetness of the piloncillo. I think that next time, I'll not dilute it as much after the fermentation, or use, as suggested, lager and water instead of just lager.

Did you know that you can make a bread starter from tepache and whole grain rye flour? Whether it makes a nice bread remains to be seen. I took some of those ingredients yesterday AM, mixed them, then mixed in some linaza entera-soaking water and white, bread flour.

After that mash sat all day and frothed nicely, I took a chance and mixed a batch of 4-Seed Bread. (Soy sauce roasted ajonjolí, mijo rojo, girasol y pepitas. No additional, manufactured yeast added. Just a little coarse salt, linaza water and white flour.
I'm leaving this until midnight or 1 AM and then I'll have a look, if not sooner.
(I hardly sleep at all, anyway.)

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Anonimo

Feb 18, 2006, 1:54 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Tepache Starter Bread Update

Update on Tepache starter bread: MESSY! I think residual bromelain enzyme from the piña breaks down the gluten in the wheat flour. In addition, there's a fairly high percentage of rye flour.
NOT RECOMMENDED!

I mixed a new batch of dough with a little yeast, kneaded and developed the dough, then mixed in about half of the old, messy dough.. After readjusting the white flour, and kneading it briefly, I then worked in about a cup of the seed mixture and I let it rest 30 minutes. I finished kneading and amalgamating the two different doughs, and there it rests now, hopefully to rise again.

Photos, if it works...

Buen provecho,
Anonimo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4