Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Ed

Sep 12, 2002, 10:16 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2291 views)

Shortcut

"Promise to Return" Vehicle Permit

Can't Post |
A co-worker recently arrived in Guadalajara with his US vehicle and failed to get one of the "promise to return" holographic vehicle permits at the border.<p>1) Can these be obtained away from the border (Guadalajara)?<p>2) If not, how far back up do you need to go?<p>3) Do you really need one (no one has checked mine in over a year)?

Ernie Gorrie

Sep 12, 2002, 3:06 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2285 views)

Shortcut

&quot;Promise to Return&quot; Vehicle Permit

Can't Post |
I can't answer the first two questions, but I have some experience with the third issue.<p>In September 2001 I was driving down to Troncones. I pulled off the cuota at Nueva Italia right into a Hacienda roadblock. They were checking for stickers and confirmation that I was the person who brought the vehicle into the country.<p>In September/October 2001 there was a Hacienda vehicle driving Ruta 200 between Zihuatanejo and the Michoacan border many days, checking out-of-state vehicles for paperwork.

Rolly

Sep 12, 2002, 5:54 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2284 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: A co-worker recently arrived in Guadalajara with his US vehicle and failed to get one of the "promise to return" holographic vehicle permits at the border.<p>: 1) Can these be obtained away from the border (Guadalajara)?<p>NO<p>: 2) If not, how far back up do you need to go?<p>All the way to the nearest border crossing. It can't be done anywhere else.<p>: 3) Do you really need one (no one has checked mine in over a year)?<p>Yes, you sure do!!! If you get caught with an illegal car in Mexico, you may forfeit the car.<p>

Travelin' Vinny

Sep 12, 2002, 6:51 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2284 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: Almost no cars get by without the holigram so there's few examples to cite but this could be a BIG prolem, they could seize the car, place them un arrest, depends on the cops. It would be worth it to return to the border and get legit.
: I can't answer the first two questions, but I have some experience with the third issue.<p>: In September 2001 I was driving down to Troncones. I pulled off the cuota at Nueva Italia right into a Hacienda roadblock. They were checking for stickers and confirmation that I was the person who brought the vehicle into the country.<p>: In September/October 2001 there was a Hacienda vehicle driving Ruta 200 between Zihuatanejo and the Michoacan border many days, checking out-of-state vehicles for paperwork.<p>

Ernie Gorrie

Sep 12, 2002, 8:16 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2284 views)

Shortcut

Speculation

Can't Post |
I'm going by memory on this, so you should consider it speculation worth investigating.<p>I recall that at one time a person could receive or renew a vehicle temporary importation at designated ports of entry. My recollection is that one of the designated ports of entry was Lazaro Cardenas. I believe another was Manzanillo.<p>If my memory is correct, it may be that the person could obtain the necessary permit in one of those locations that are nearer to Guadalajara.<p>My memory was getting bad.
I couldn't remember things that happened.
My memory is getting so much better.
Now I remember things that didn't happen!<p>:)

Robert

Sep 13, 2002, 7:14 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2292 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: A co-worker recently arrived in Guadalajara with his US vehicle and failed to get one of the "promise to return" holographic vehicle permits at the border.<p>: 1) Can these be obtained away from the border (Guadalajara)?<p>Yes, but not in this instance. If you are renewing (we will not get into that) or changing from FMT to FM3 status, you could do it at a Banjercito. However, within the interior they are going to wonder why you did not do it at the border and probably place the owner under arrest. You could plead dumb. For instance, when I drove back from a trip into Texas, I went right through at the border, and was not checked at the impuesto checkpoint. If you had no idea, this could happen. However, do not do try it.<p>: 2) If not, how far back up do you need to go?<p>There are a couple of things that come to mind. I know of a few people, Diplomats and wealthy individuals who brought cars here via plane. However, they also had other paperwork.<p>The next best thing would likely be to go to a port city. However, they may also ask for additional paperwork (what ship, etc.)<p>The best thing is to go back to the border. However, you will likely run into several military checkpoints, and run into the impuesto checkpoint (though they do not check as hard as when you go the other way).<p>One last idea is to keep the car off the street and safe, and fly or drive back with someone to a border area, go to a Banjercito, get your permit, and then come back. They do not check to actually see you have the car at the border (at least at Laredo). Then place the sticker in your car when you get back. This is the safest method.<p>: 3) Do you really need one (no one has checked mine in over a year)?<p>Yes! Yes! Yes! Do not take chances!<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4