Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

raferguson

Feb 12, 2006, 11:01 AM

Post #1 of 4 (2558 views)

Shortcut

Encuentro de Jaraneros y Decimistas, Tlacotalpan, Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
There was an article in my local paper by Agustin Gurza of the Los Angeles Times about the Encuentro de Jaraneros y Decimistas. This is a festival of son jarocho, folk music from southern Veracruz. This festival includes poetry and dance. The 27th festival was held Jan 31-Feb. 2. It looks like a lot of fun, I am a fan of Mexican folk music. Apparently this music is becoming more popular. Tlacotalpan Veracruz is between Veracruz city and Los Tuxtlas, 100 km southeast of Veracruz city.

Has anyone been to this festival, or heard much about it?

This music may be related to Huasteca music, from the area north of Veracruz city.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Feb 12, 2006, 1:53 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2550 views)

Shortcut

Re: [raferguson] Encuentro de Jaraneros y Decimistas, Tlacotalpan, Veracruz

Richard y amigos costeños:
I just meet Augustin Gurza and his photographer who were here in Xalapa last week, so they should be posting an article about this area soon.
Tlacotalpan is a beautiful city, unique in it's location and culture. The "jaraneros" are also very popular here in Xalapa, and Ramon Gutierrez has his group "Son de Madera" which performs in the Patio Muñoz just across the street from my photography studio on Pino Suárez. He is an excellent musician(plays Mozart on the jarana!) as well as a reknowned maker of jaranas and other stringed instruments("laudero").
I will try to post pictures of his group, as well as the bamboo pictures others wanted to see.
We have cold and "chipi-chipi" today, but everything is so incredibly green.
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

NJ2VER

Feb 12, 2006, 6:32 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2538 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Encuentro de Jaraneros y Decimistas, Tlacotalpan, Veracruz

Hola Richard, Roy and amigos,

We recently had the pleasure of catching a concert by Tlen-Huicani at Princeton University, sponsered by the latino studies dept.. They are a fantastic Huesteco and Folkloric group from the Univerity of Ver., Xalapa, that focus on the harp. Maestro Alberto de la Rosa, leader of the group, was surprised to meet my jarocha wife after the concert. Small world. We will be swinging by Xalapa ourselves in a couple of days for a little warm weather escape from the 18" of snow unloaded today by the blizzard of 06. We are planning to check out Coatzacoalcos, as well. There is not much written about it so any info would be welcome. Roy, we will be sure to pop in the studio. That "son de madera" cd you got us has been lots of fun to listen to. -Marc

In Reply To

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Feb 12, 2006, 8:41 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2521 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NJ2VER] Encuentro de Jaraneros y Decimistas, Tlacotalpan, Veracruz

Marc:
Looking forward to seeing you here. I will be in Mexico City until Feb 18th for the birth of my new grandaughter.
¡Hasta pronto, amigos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4