Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MariaLund

Mar 24, 2006, 7:31 AM

Post #26 of 38 (6654 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] On Living in or near Veracruz

Can't Post | Private Reply
Thanks, Wendy, I have been to John's website and his descriptions inspired me to try some of those places, but I - maybe mistakenly - understood from this discussion that he is not reachable. If he is, I'll try bothering him.
Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse est!

smokesilver

Mar 24, 2006, 10:57 AM

Post #27 of 38 (6642 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MariaLund] On Living in or near Veracruz

I believe that John is involved with a major project in Lazaro Cardenas. As a result u may be unable to reach him.

Mark Landes

Mar 25, 2006, 11:43 AM

Post #28 of 38 (6621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] On Living in or near Veracruz

Have you considered Mexico del Norte. I visited the quaint region called Fruitvale in the vicinity of Oakland, CA yesterday looking for some office suplies. The Boston Market had one or two English speaking patrons. Radio Shack had one English speaking clerk and two Spanish speaking clerks. The A-frame sign in front of Dress for Less didn't have any English but they don't have my size anyway. In the more southern regions of the central valley you can really get away from the English speaking groups. Once they build Sun City in Modesto the Boomers can head there instead of SOB although they might not be quite so close to a Costco.
Mark

GueroPaz

Oct 29, 2007, 9:25 AM

Post #29 of 38 (6504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mark Landes] On Living in or near Veracruz

Hola,

I just joined this forum, and am very seriously considering a move in the next several months from Chiang Mai, Thailand, to Puerto Veracruz. I'm a 65 year old, semi-retired American who teaches English (preferably privately). I lived in coastal Chiapas long enough to become familiar with Mexican heat and humidity (also at North and South Padre, the coast of Thailand, etc.).

I have American pensions that are adjusted for the cost of living increases, and assume I can get a rentista visa with an independiente permit to teach privately. My questions include:

How much rent per month in pesos for a nice one bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood like Boca del Rio, say if it has 65 square meters and is very close to a good swimming beach, or with a pool?

My health requires good care by the staff of a teaching hospital. Does the faculty of medicine in Veracruz have a good hospital in the puerto?

Thanks for having this forum.

Ed and Fran

Oct 29, 2007, 4:02 PM

Post #30 of 38 (6489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GueroPaz] On Living in or near Veracruz

Welcome to MexConnect

About the only MexConnect member who actually lives in Veracruz (the city) is Ignacio. But he hasn't logged in for a few months, so I don't know if a PM sent to him will get read. But he's probably your best source for info on the city within the circle of MexConnect people. As always, you need to take any advice any one person gives you with a grain of salt as their advice will always be colored by their personal likes, experiences, and even the neighborhood they live in.

Another source of expat info on Veracruz can be found through a guy who posts over on the Thorn Tree Travel Forum (Lonely Planet), see:
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/...d=17&STARTPAGE=1

He lives in the city (as far as I know). His user name on Thorn Tree is:
RJ 1 (John Todd) (see also his website at www.johntoddjr.com which has lots of good info, although not specifically what you are seeking)

There's another expat who lives in an apt down there and posts regularly on Thorn Tree but at this moment I can't remember his name. So besides sending a PM to Ignacio, posting your questions over on Thorn Tree might be an idea.

Regards

Ed

GueroPaz

Oct 29, 2007, 6:58 PM

Post #31 of 38 (6474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] On Living in or near Veracruz

Thanks for your reply, Ed. I'm a bit surprised that a forum as large as this has so few members in a major city. Maybe that tells me that very few expats live there, which is okay, I guess. I thought of Thorn Tree primarily as a tourism place, but I guess I'll turn English and show up there as PeaceBlondie. And, I'll send a PM to Ignacio.

Ed and Fran

Oct 29, 2007, 7:33 PM

Post #32 of 38 (6469 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GueroPaz] On Living in or near Veracruz

I'm a bit surprised that a forum as large as this has so few members in a major city. Maybe that tells me that very few expats live there...

No, what it tells you is that few expats who live there are members of this forum, or at least that they don't post.

This situation isn't entirely unique to Veracruz. How many expats live in Cancun or the Riviera Maya in general? How many post here???

How about Merida? I suspect there's a bunch of expats there, but only a few posters here.

To top it all, how about Mexico City??? An absolutely huge number of expats living there (generally speaking not retired) but not much participation here.

Same can be said of a great number of places here in Mexico.

Yeah, TT is mostly tourist oriented. But since I occasionally lurk over there I have come to recognize a couple of expats who actually live in Veracruz through their postings. I don't recommend the forum in general for your needs, but those posters do have some good info on Veracruz.

Regards

Ed

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Oct 30, 2007, 8:07 AM

Post #33 of 38 (6458 views)

Shortcut

Ed:
¡Hola! Things have been extremely slow on this forum, but fortunately part of it is because I have been extremely busy. I will be displaying my photography exhibit of Juanote in the new Café Catedral which is just across the street from the Palacio Estatal(State Government Palace) on Leandro Valle. When are you coming to Xalapa? It has been over 20 years since I have been in Tuxpan. We used to go a lot in the 70's when we drove up to the border to renew my tourist visa and to visit the Bello family in Tuxpan.
Well, got to go to show a Gringo Xalapa.
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien, sin mirar a quien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Mark Landes

Nov 6, 2007, 7:34 PM

Post #34 of 38 (6402 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] On Living in or near Veracruz

I have been away for a time. I thought there would be many posts about the flooding...??
Mark

Ed and Fran

Nov 7, 2007, 2:08 PM

Post #35 of 38 (6377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mark Landes] On Living in or near Veracruz

While it's a big deal down in Tabasco and in the country in general, most MC posters live far away from the problem area. So in general it's "out of sight, out of mind".

jmho

Ed

hopalog

Nov 10, 2007, 10:50 PM

Post #36 of 38 (6342 views)

Shortcut

It is big news (and has been) in Quintana Roo. I'm quite shocked that there aren't posts about it either. I'm hoping that everyone is simply standing in line at the bank of their choice to donate or purchasing goods and donating at the particiapting supers.

Hell's Half Acre

Flickrlicious

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Nov 12, 2007, 3:00 PM

Post #37 of 38 (6320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hopalog] On Living in or near Veracruz

¡Amigos costeños!
Here in Xalapa a lot has and is being done to help the Tabasqueños in there moment of need. I saw the big black Shirkosky government helicopter being loaded with supplies when at the Lencero airport a week ago last Sunday. My Rotary Club has sent an 18 wheel trailer full of supplies, too. We just make a lot of "fanfarias" about it. As Ed and Fran said, fortunately we were not at all hard hit by the rains, so "life goes on as usual". But please don't feel we are cold hearted, a lot has been done and will be done.
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

yucatandreamer

Nov 12, 2007, 3:21 PM

Post #38 of 38 (6316 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] On Living in or near Veracruz

Here in Merida, Banamex #100 (The one located on the Plaza Principal) is matching peso for peso your donation. There may be a Banamex in your area that is doing the same. This is a good way to double your donation.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4