Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jennifer rose

Sep 17, 2002, 1:55 PM

Post #1 of 10 (1688 views)

Shortcut

How did you celebrate the Fiesta Patria?

Can't Post |
Each of us has our own way of celebrating Dia de la Indpendencia -- whether we live in Mexico or abroad. What did everyone else do?

Uncle Jack

Sep 17, 2002, 2:22 PM

Post #2 of 10 (1689 views)

Shortcut

Okay, I confess

Can't Post |
Being in a mild fit of depression because I was in Prescott, AZ instead of somewhere in Mexico, I sat around most of the day drinking Jimador and orange juice whihle listening to Mariachi music on the internet.

Rolly

Sep 17, 2002, 4:55 PM

Post #3 of 10 (1686 views)

Shortcut

Rather unexciting

Can't Post |
I sat home with three wet dogs and watched it pour down rain -- the heaviest rain we have had this year. My unpaved street was a gaint mud hole (still is). But I did get well into a new Star Wars book.

jennifer rose

Sep 17, 2002, 7:28 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1687 views)

Shortcut

The lake by day, and gunfire at dark

Can't Post |
Morning started with watching the military parade on TV Ė well, the last 20 minutes of it.<p>The plan was to have carne asada here at the house. But plans change. We decided at the last minute to go to Patzcuaro. And by the time we had the cars out the gate, the plans changed to make Zirahuen our destination, since that was unknown territory to friends visiting from Toluca. <p>At the CabaŮas Impulsora de Zirahuen (at El Troje de Ala), there mustíve been 150 cars in three lots, bearing plates from across the Republic. We made our way to the dock just in time to catch the launch across the lake, where we ended up having a late comida of charales and pescado blanco.<p>Of course, Iím in my full glory, because this means new victims to bore with the history and legend of the lake. Swiftly Iím outstaged by one of the local kids, who had taken it upon himself to memorize and repeat every stanza of The Legend. And even if he did repeat a couple of lines, he did it with panache.<p>Insisting the our route out of Zirahuen ought not replicate the cuota week took coming in, I had an opportunity to ensnare my entourage into taking the backroad to Santa Clara de Cobre.<p>My favorite resource filled me in on latest noticias. His great-grandfather spent his time during the Revolution guarding the town as part of the Mexican Army. My guests loaded their car with copper souvenirs. <p>Then we headed over to the plaza and watched the festivities. The banda. Children dancing and playing tag with balloons. Then I noticed a young man strolling across the plaza with what? A rifle! Dressed in peasant garb. Then more guys with rifles. And as they shoot off their rifles, flames leaping out the barrel, I realize itís part of the celebration. Right behind me a man in black Ė whom I could only describe as handsome, brave, and virile Ė shoots his pistol into the air. Iím on to this now, and Iím beginning to enjoy this scenario of guns and rifles being shot off right out in the plaza. Everyone there had a gun. Well, at least half the males.<p>And then the calgata. At the head of the parade were a few with fancy costumes and horses, but everyone who had a horse must've ridden into town. Some horses were just plain generic working horses. About half the riders were carrying flaming torches. One kid rode in on a horse with just a rope around the horse's neck -- clearly not
a hackamore -- and I was amazed at how well he controlled his horse. And at
the end of the parade were some kids on burros.<p>Damn, I never knew that being caught in gunfire could be so much fun!<p>

Andy in Aguas

Sep 17, 2002, 7:46 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1689 views)

Shortcut

We had a good time in Zacatecas!

Can't Post |
A number of Evangelical churches got together in Zacatecas to have this celebration in the plaza. We set out over six hundred chairs in the plaza and they were all full, with many people standing up! I was very glad to see such unity among the churches!<p>It was raining when we set out the chairs at about six o'clock that night. However, the rain stopped around eight o'clock and we celebrated with singing, preaching, etc. until about ten o'clock that night. <p>A special treat for us was when some Huichol Indians came in their typical garb to sing some Gospel songs to us with their instruments (violins, etc.). It was really a blessing!<p>In the old days, I thought I had to get drunk to celebrate. But now I don't and I still have fun anyway!<p>: Each of us has our own way of celebrating Dia de la Indpendencia -- whether we live in Mexico or abroad. What did everyone else do?<p>

Suze

Sep 18, 2002, 5:02 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1688 views)

Shortcut

On the island of Cozumel

Can't Post |
we gather in front of the Palacio Municipal for a patriotic program filled with folkloric dancing, mariachi groups and song. At 11pm the mayor appears on the balcony overhead, reads from the constitution as the crowd responds with "viva!" and the evening is finished off with a truly amazing fireworks display set to orchestra music.<p>

Mark

Sep 18, 2002, 11:16 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1688 views)

Shortcut

In Monterrey...

Can't Post |
Well, in Monterrey it rained buckets all evening and even an umbrella wouldn't keep me dry :-(

Marlene in Mazatlan

Sep 19, 2002, 6:50 PM

Post #8 of 10 (1686 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We wandered around downtown el Centro in Mazatlan where there was a "carnaval" like atmosphere. There were fireworks, flags and people everywhere! Most of the festivities were over when a big wind and some rain swooped in on us. Many people drove up and down the malecon, vehicles packed with people, and waving flags. It was fun, inspite of rain.<p>
: Each of us has our own way of celebrating Dia de la Indpendencia -- whether we live in Mexico or abroad. What did everyone else do?<p>

RexC

Sep 20, 2002, 9:09 AM

Post #9 of 10 (1690 views)

Shortcut

How did you celebrate the Fiesta Patria? / Traditional midnight dinner

Can't Post |
We had family house guests, and visiting friends. Listened to President Fox and watched the fireworks on TV. Then had the traditional late night dinner. It is served never earlier than 10 P.M. That is the time that Father Hidalgo read the Grito on the church steps.<p>After dinner, a couple of the young fathers went out in the patio with the kids to destroy the peace of the night with fireworks. A tradtional activity on all holidays here.<p>After the little ones were in bed, we enjoyed a couple of Refescos, snacks, music, singing, ( my wife is a former professional singer and musician.)and stimulating conversations until about 4 A.M. After a few Refrescos, any conversation is stimulating.<p>The next afternoon, on the actual Independence Day, we all gathered again. A light lunch, snacks, no drinks, none of our family are heavy drinkers. More singing and telling of many jokes. ( Of course they were ALL educational jokes:-)<p>We live in Cuernavaca, on all holidays, highway 95 here is buzzing with traffic from Mexico City. It makes you want to stay home. We like to have guests anyway. It was a very nice holiday for us. Sort of a re-bonding with family, and friends.<p>It was an enjoyable day. Even more important, I think, it was fun.<p>Rex<p> <p><p>
: Each of us has our own way of celebrating Dia de la Indpendencia -- whether we live in Mexico or abroad. What did everyone else do?<p>

Teo

Sep 22, 2002, 8:19 AM

Post #10 of 10 (1687 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: Each of us has our own way of celebrating Dia de la Indpendencia -- whether we live in Mexico or abroad. What did everyone else do?<p>We were in Guadalajara for the Mariachi Festival and also attended the "Grito" given by the govener of Jalisco at the palacio. The plaza was jam-packed. Next they shot pirotecnicos off the roof of the cathedral and sparks fell into the crowd but no one seemed to mind. Sept 16 the was a long parade of govt workers and the military. The charros at the end were the best.
Great time. The Calinda Roma was an excellent hotel for a moderate price. $50 US/night for seniors, book over the internet.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4