Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Feb 4, 2006, 4:34 PM

Post #1 of 7 (4292 views)

Shortcut

chipi-chipi and cold

Can't Post | Private Reply
¡Hola, amigos costeños!
Just to let you NOB friends feel a little better, we have finally gotten more of the cold, winter weather that Xalapa is known for amongst the "Jarochos" who flee here sivering to the warmer climate of Veracruz. Enjoy wherever you are at.
Don't forget Carnaval is coming up very soon and we would love to hear reports from people who will be going. A week later is when the village of Coyolillo(mostly of Afro-American decent) will have their own special Carnaval(see the pictures with my article "Xalapa de mis sueños").
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

wyhaines

Feb 6, 2006, 7:44 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4253 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] chipi-chipi and cold

In Reply To
¡Hola, amigos costeños!
Just to let you NOB friends feel a little better, we have finally gotten more of the cold, winter weather that Xalapa is known for amongst the "Jarochos" who flee here sivering to the warmer climate of Veracruz. Enjoy wherever you are at.

Okay. Let's put the winter weather into perspective. :)

Unless the weatherunderground.com information for Xalapa is grossly inaccurate, that winter weather is damp, foggy, misty, wet weather with highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s, maybe touching on the high 40s a time or two, right? The same winter weather that, today, will grace your lives with a fairly clear day that peaks in the high 70s, with a low tonight around the low 50s?

Inside this (barely) _heated_ old farmhouse the temperatures are going to range from about the low 60s to the low 40s in different parts of the house over the next 24 hours, so your version of winter is, well, I can't imagine a great deal of complaining from me nor my family were we there. :)

Thanks,

Kirk Haines

wyhaines

Feb 9, 2006, 6:26 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4215 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wyhaines] chipi-chipi and cold

According to my weatherunderground.com page this morning, Xalapa had the coldest temps last night that I have seen them report since I started watching the weather in Xalapa. They say it got down to 47F last night. Surprisingly, it only got down to 43F here last night. Very balmy for here this time of year; many summer nights aren't much warmer than that. However, Xalapa/Chugwater still wins the weather challenge, though.

Winds outside are about 30MPH right now as a cold front is going to be settling in later today. Tomorrow we'll be lucky to break 10F. It looks like maybe that cold front is forecast to go quite far south, though? The forecast for Xalapa for Sunday says a high only in the low 50s.

Kirk Haines

CCarol

Feb 9, 2006, 11:05 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4203 views)

Shortcut

Kirk, that is a great idea you have there. I think I'll list some of the cities I plan to visit (long term) on WUG and see how the weather compares over the year AND how it compares to where I am. Of course I know most all of the weather in Mexico will win out over Idaho. But I'm not complaining because we've had a wonderful winter, more like spring most days.
Carol

"Be kind, for everyone you know is facing a great battle." (Philo of Alexandria)

misslyn

Feb 9, 2006, 12:22 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4191 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] chipi-chipi and cold

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "chipi-chipi"? Doesn't seem to be in my dictionary. Roy, I just looked through your website and would love to take one of your tours. Maybe my next trip SOB - espero que si.

Lyn in San Diego

wyhaines

Feb 9, 2006, 12:36 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] chipi-chipi and cold

My understanding is that it's a very light, misty rain. Here in Wyoming we sometimes get this sort of extra dense fog/super light rain. It's a fine mist of water, just a little too heavy to really be fog, but a little to fine to really be rain. My impression is that chipi-chipi is something like that.

Kirk Haines

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Feb 9, 2006, 4:42 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4175 views)

Shortcut

Kirk:
¡Bravo! Your description of "chipi-chipi" sounds very good(as we would say here.."ni muy, muy, ni tan, tan".) In Veracruz port they say "esta pringando" for the equivilent of "chipi-chipi". We should be getting some soon, since it is beginning to sprinkle now.
Enjoy wherever you are!
¡Portense mal y cuidense bien!
Su amigo...
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4