Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Lucia

Sep 19, 2002, 4:49 PM

Post #1 of 17 (1576 views)

Shortcut

Driving to Zacatecas

Can't Post |
   First time driving to Mexico most likely in the month of December, Any tips on driving to Zacatecas from Southern California.Thanks

Andy in Aguas

Sep 19, 2002, 6:18 PM

Post #2 of 17 (1570 views)

Shortcut

Driving to Zacatecas

Can't Post |
(Zacatecas is about two and a half hours north of Aguascalientes by bus. I am scheduled to go to Zacatecas every week.)<p>A friend of mine from San Diego, who is a pastor of a church here, told me that the best way to go from California is to take I-10 to El Paso and go south. Going through Mazatlan and Durango is more of a problem, he said, because of the very windy and dangerous road from Mazatlan to Durango. He believes that it is quicker to go through El Paso, Chihuahua, Torreón, Fresnillo, etc.<p>: First time driving to Mexico most likely in the month of December, Any tips on driving to Zacatecas from Southern California.Thanks<p>

jose

Sep 21, 2002, 10:11 AM

Post #3 of 17 (1573 views)

Shortcut

Driving to Zacatecas

Can't Post |
I've made this trip more than a few times. Its not as hard as you might expect. First I would go to a mexican website called Paisano.gob.mx. Get all the information you can. It is the official Mexican Government website designed to facilitate your entry. After you Comply with all the entry requirements (yourself and the car), get a good map. I'll make an assumption that you mean L.A. and your destination is Zacatecas, Zacatecas. From previos experiences you should experience about 26-27 hours of DRIVE time. I have a couple of suggestions that would make it easier. If at all possible start your first day treck at night, say about 8 p.m. That will allow you to travel uninterupted during the night. You will arrive at your Point of entry which I suggest Santa Teresa, New Mexico (do google search) on the east side of El Paso. Fill up on U.S. (Gas is about a dollar per gallon cheaper) and do the required paper work at the border. Once you have your Halogram, (easy process, usually 15 to 30 min. if paperwork in order) you head south on Highway 45. Chihuahua City is the only confusing Part(in my opinion) of the whole trip. Just follow airport signs and you are on your way out of the city. By 4 or 5 you should be south of Chihuahua City. I suggest not to stay in Chihuahua not because of safety but of the location of good hotels. A better suggestion would be Delicias, Chihuahua. They have a Casa Grande Hotels. Pricey but I think they are worth it. Or if you keep on going south, I would suggest Jimenez, Chihuahua. I've stayed at Las Pampas a couple of times. Inexpensive and safe. Also the food is decent. The Next day should be an eaisier treck. Only six hours to go. Follow the Autopista 49 to Gomez Palacio. Then follow signs (on the autopista) that say Durango, Durango. Get off in Cuencame, Durango and this road is now a 2 lane road. Much has improved over the last few years and this road is now very wide and safe. About 2 hours later, you will meet with Road 45 going south from Durango. Again, this is now a 4 lane road that will take you into Zacatecas. This is an simplified overview of what you can expect. I can answer any questions that you may have. Hope you have a great time.

Andy in Aguas

Sep 21, 2002, 8:20 PM

Post #4 of 17 (1564 views)

Shortcut

Questions about Santa Teresa, New Mexico

Can't Post |
First of all, Santa Teresa is on the west side of El Paso, not the east side. Also, the only border crossing that I've found on the web so far for New Mexico is Columbus. Could you please tell me exactly where you crossed the border near El Paso? What road in the U.S. goes to this crossing?<p>Thanks for the info! <p>: I've made this trip more than a few times. Its not as hard as you might expect. First I would go to a mexican website called Paisano.gob.mx. Get all the information you can. It is the official Mexican Government website designed to facilitate your entry. After you Comply with all the entry requirements (yourself and the car), get a good map. I'll make an assumption that you mean L.A. and your destination is Zacatecas, Zacatecas. From previos experiences you should experience about 26-27 hours of DRIVE time. I have a couple of suggestions that would make it easier. If at all possible start your first day treck at night, say about 8 p.m. That will allow you to travel uninterupted during the night. You will arrive at your Point of entry which I suggest Santa Teresa, New Mexico (do google search) on the east side of El Paso. Fill up on U.S. (Gas is about a dollar per gallon cheaper) and do the required paper work at the border. Once you have your Halogram, (easy process, usually 15 to 30 min. if paperwork in order) you head south on Highway 45. Chihuahua City is the only confusing Part(in my opinion) of the whole trip. Just follow airport signs and you are on your way out of the city. By 4 or 5 you should be south of Chihuahua City. I suggest not to stay in Chihuahua not because of safety but of the location of good hotels. A better suggestion would be Delicias, Chihuahua. They have a Casa Grande Hotels. Pricey but I think they are worth it. Or if you keep on going south, I would suggest Jimenez, Chihuahua. I've stayed at Las Pampas a couple of times. Inexpensive and safe. Also the food is decent. The Next day should be an eaisier treck. Only six hours to go. Follow the Autopista 49 to Gomez Palacio. Then follow signs (on the autopista) that say Durango, Durango. Get off in Cuencame, Durango and this road is now a 2 lane road. Much has improved over the last few years and this road is now very wide and safe. About 2 hours later, you will meet with Road 45 going south from Durango. Again, this is now a 4 lane road that will take you into Zacatecas. This is an simplified overview of what you can expect. I can answer any questions that you may have. Hope you have a great time.<p>

RickS

Sep 22, 2002, 7:36 AM

Post #5 of 17 (1563 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Well, I'm not the original poster, but.....
Yes, you are correct that Santa Teresa is west of El Paso, not east. It is also my understanding from a previous, knowledgable poster, that one cannot get a vehicle permit at Santa Teresa any more.
For a person coming east on US I10 from Phoenix, the Columbus/Palomas (turn south at Deming NM) crossing may be less of a hastle than crossing at Juarez. [Any thoughts about this, Elliott?]<p>And thanks, Jose, for the hotel tips going south. I'll be making that trip in December for the first time.

Jose

Sep 23, 2002, 10:17 AM

Post #6 of 17 (1562 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Yes you guys are correct. Santa Teresa is on the WEST side of EL Paso. Well, the way I have driven the last couple of years has actually been through Deming, New Mexico going south to Columbus. Offhand I cannot remember the highway number but at Columbus, take a left going east alongside the border meeting with Santa Teresa Point of Entry. HOWEVER It might be easier taking Interstate 10 to El Paso THEN connect to a NEW freway that SUPPOSEDLY has been constructed since my last visit. See previos posts by Eliott on the same subject. The last time I was there, (about a year and a half) there was road contruction leading to Interstate 10. I am not sure if it has been completed but if it has, it is deffinitely worth looking into. Another Question I don't have an answer to is wheather Santa Teresa offers Banjercito Services. I am personally thinking that possibly yes since it is High Tourist season and that might aliviate some backup in the Juarez checkpoint. At any rate, once you cross the border you can ask the officials if you can get your permit there or you need to go to the Juarez checkpoint. If you need to go to the Juarez checkpoint, then its not a problem from the border. You follow the road south(there no other one so you cannot get lost) about 10 miles. You will come across Mexican Highway 2. Go East on this road for about 10 miles. You will start to encounter the outskirts of Cuidad Juares and then come to a Glorieta. Follow Chihuahua signs south. This is Mexican Highway 45 going south. This is a divided 4 lane road. Follow that for approx. 10 miles and You will come to the Aduana office. Park your car and go inside the building to get your permit. With all your paperwork in order it should be an easy 15 to 30 min. Place the Halogram sticker on your car and Pass customs. Its that simple. But remember, its only that simple if you have everything in order. Any more questions or CORRECTIONS I will be more than happy to answer.

Lucia

Sep 23, 2002, 3:16 PM

Post #7 of 17 (1566 views)

Shortcut

Driving to Zacatecas

Can't Post |
 I want to Thank everyone for their responses.<p>

Andy in Aguas

Sep 24, 2002, 11:36 AM

Post #8 of 17 (1562 views)

Shortcut

Have not been able to locate the Santa Teresa crossing on the map

Can't Post |
I know it exists, because I just checked the U.S. government web site on border crossings. However, I have not been able to find it on any map. Could you please tell me exactly where it is? Driving north from Chihuahua, how would one get to it?<p>: Yes you guys are correct. Santa Teresa is on the WEST side of EL Paso. Well, the way I have driven the last couple of years has actually been through Deming, New Mexico going south to Columbus. Offhand I cannot remember the highway number but at Columbus, take a left going east alongside the border meeting with Santa Teresa Point of Entry. HOWEVER It might be easier taking Interstate 10 to El Paso THEN connect to a NEW freway that SUPPOSEDLY has been constructed since my last visit. See previos posts by Eliott on the same subject. The last time I was there, (about a year and a half) there was road contruction leading to Interstate 10. I am not sure if it has been completed but if it has, it is deffinitely worth looking into. Another Question I don't have an answer to is wheather Santa Teresa offers Banjercito Services. I am personally thinking that possibly yes since it is High Tourist season and that might aliviate some backup in the Juarez checkpoint. At any rate, once you cross the border you can ask the officials if you can get your permit there or you need to go to the Juarez checkpoint. If you need to go to the Juarez checkpoint, then its not a problem from the border. You follow the road south(there no other one so you cannot get lost) about 10 miles. You will come across Mexican Highway 2. Go East on this road for about 10 miles. You will start to encounter the outskirts of Cuidad Juares and then come to a Glorieta. Follow Chihuahua signs south. This is Mexican Highway 45 going south. This is a divided 4 lane road. Follow that for approx. 10 miles and You will come to the Aduana office. Park your car and go inside the building to get your permit. With all your paperwork in order it should be an easy 15 to 30 min. Place the Halogram sticker on your car and Pass customs. Its that simple. But remember, its only that simple if you have everything in order. Any more questions or CORRECTIONS I will be more than happy to answer.<p>

RickS

Sep 24, 2002, 6:20 PM

Post #9 of 17 (1560 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
According to a listing I found on the Internet: "Santa Teresa is a young community at the junction of New Mexico Highways 278 and 9. It is about four miles north of the Mexico border, practically adjacent to Sunland Park, New Mexico and El Paso, Texas". <p>Disclaimer: Andy, this is coming from a person who has not been there yet (going in December; that's why I am interested in this crossing also), but.....<p>Both my New Mexico Map and my Guia Roji Mexican map show a road (sorry, neither map has a road number designation) "a bit" west of El Paso that comes down from the town of Santa Teresa ( a few miles NW of El Paso off of I10), crosses the border and after about 15-20km connects with Mexican Highway 2, which is "about" 15km west of the intersection of hiway 2 and Mexican Highway 45, the road up from Chihuahua. That intersection is in the vacanity of the Cuidad Juarez airport.
Therefore, coming from your direction, turn left/west on Hiway 2 go about 15km and turn right/north towards the border.<p>Maybe someone with precise info will fill in the blanks here.....

jose

Sep 24, 2002, 7:56 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1559 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: I know it exists, because I just checked the U.S. government web site on border crossings. However, I have not been able to find it on any map. Could you please tell me exactly where it is? Driving north from Chihuahua, how would one get to it?
--------------------------------------------------
If you drive north on Chihuahua 45, You pass customs, then you proceed north again. Approx. 10 miles north you come to a glorieta. You will see some signs (small ones)that say "Entrada a EEUU via corta" or something like that. The glorieta is of Mexico's President Benito Juarez, (I hope thats accurate). On the glorieta make a 3/4 circle and go west on Mexican Highway 2 right Past the Pemex station. You will start to hit the outskirts of Ciudad Jurarez and a lot of "Yonques" thats Junkyards. You will proceed for about 10 miles going east and you will wonder if this is the correct way because you will leave the city behind. But don't worry you're o.k. At about 10 miles you will come to another sign that says "Santa Teresa EEUU" or something to that effect. Its the only road there so you go north. Its another 10 miles from there and you will come to The U.S. border. And If you're lucky, there will be no one in line. Wala!!!! You just saved yourself 2 hours. No more dealing with peddlers at the border, no more dealing with polluting vehicles, no more people cutting in front of you. And depending what your direction is, Your just about 10 miles from I10. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer.

jose

Sep 24, 2002, 8:22 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1560 views)

Shortcut

Update

Can't Post |
I was reading on the internet that Santa Teresa is now joined to I10. According to www.edd.state.nm.us the road has been completed. Good news for me as well since I will plan to go to Mexico in Jan. Answered that Question.

Andy in Aguas

Sep 24, 2002, 8:29 PM

Post #12 of 17 (1559 views)

Shortcut

Proceed for about ten miles going east?

Can't Post |
Are you sure you don't mean "proceed for about ten miles going west"? Not being critical, just wanting to get the facts straight.<p>Thanks!<p>: : I know it exists, because I just checked the U.S. government web site on border crossings. However, I have not been able to find it on any map. Could you please tell me exactly where it is? Driving north from Chihuahua, how would one get to it?
: --------------------------------------------------
: If you drive north on Chihuahua 45, You pass customs, then you proceed north again. Approx. 10 miles north you come to a glorieta. You will see some signs (small ones)that say "Entrada a EEUU via corta" or something like that. The glorieta is of Mexico's President Benito Juarez, (I hope thats accurate). On the glorieta make a 3/4 circle and go west on Mexican Highway 2 right Past the Pemex station. You will start to hit the outskirts of Ciudad Jurarez and a lot of "Yonques" thats Junkyards. You will proceed for about 10 miles going east and you will wonder if this is the correct way because you will leave the city behind. But don't worry you're o.k. At about 10 miles you will come to another sign that says "Santa Teresa EEUU" or something to that effect. Its the only road there so you go north. Its another 10 miles from there and you will come to The U.S. border. And If you're lucky, there will be no one in line. Wala!!!! You just saved yourself 2 hours. No more dealing with peddlers at the border, no more dealing with polluting vehicles, no more people cutting in front of you. And depending what your direction is, Your just about 10 miles from I10. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer.<p>

Jose

Sep 24, 2002, 8:46 PM

Post #13 of 17 (1559 views)

Shortcut

Proceed for about ten miles going east?

Can't Post |
Boy do I have problems with directions or what. Yes I meant to say "10 miles going west" Sorry about that folks. I seem to confuse everybody but myself. At least the internal compass works. I am rarely lost believe it or not. Somehow manage to find myself heading the right direction.

Andy in Aguas

Sep 25, 2002, 7:30 AM

Post #14 of 17 (1560 views)

Shortcut

Thanks! And coming from the States?

Can't Post |
Coming east on I-10, what exit should we take to make this crossing from the States to Mexico? Could you also give us directions from this crossing back to the autopista going to Chihuahua from Ciudad Juarez? (Sometimes my mind has a hard time reversing directions.) <p>: Boy do I have problems with directions or what. Yes I meant to say "10 miles going west" Sorry about that folks. I seem to confuse everybody but myself. At least the internal compass works. I am rarely lost believe it or not. Somehow manage to find myself heading the right direction. <p>

Pat

Sep 28, 2002, 12:00 PM

Post #15 of 17 (1560 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: First of all, Santa Teresa is on the west side of El Paso, not the east side. Also, the only border crossing that I've found on the web so far for New Mexico is Columbus. Could you please tell me exactly where you crossed the border near El Paso? What road in the U.S. goes to this crossing?<p>: Thanks for the info! <p>My husband and I are very interested in this Santa Teresa crossing. Is this crossing open 24 hours? What are the hours?<p>Thanks for the advice.<p>: : I've made this trip more than a few times. Its not as hard as you might expect. First I would go to a mexican website called Paisano.gob.mx. Get all the information you can. It is the official Mexican Government website designed to facilitate your entry. After you Comply with all the entry requirements (yourself and the car), get a good map. I'll make an assumption that you mean L.A. and your destination is Zacatecas, Zacatecas. From previos experiences you should experience about 26-27 hours of DRIVE time. I have a couple of suggestions that would make it easier. If at all possible start your first day treck at night, say about 8 p.m. That will allow you to travel uninterupted during the night. You will arrive at your Point of entry which I suggest Santa Teresa, New Mexico (do google search) on the east side of El Paso. Fill up on U.S. (Gas is about a dollar per gallon cheaper) and do the required paper work at the border. Once you have your Halogram, (easy process, usually 15 to 30 min. if paperwork in order) you head south on Highway 45. Chihuahua City is the only confusing Part(in my opinion) of the whole trip. Just follow airport signs and you are on your way out of the city. By 4 or 5 you should be south of Chihuahua City. I suggest not to stay in Chihuahua not because of safety but of the location of good hotels. A better suggestion would be Delicias, Chihuahua. They have a Casa Grande Hotels. Pricey but I think they are worth it. Or if you keep on going south, I would suggest Jimenez, Chihuahua. I've stayed at Las Pampas a couple of times. Inexpensive and safe. Also the food is decent. The Next day should be an eaisier treck. Only six hours to go. Follow the Autopista 49 to Gomez Palacio. Then follow signs (on the autopista) that say Durango, Durango. Get off in Cuencame, Durango and this road is now a 2 lane road. Much has improved over the last few years and this road is now very wide and safe. About 2 hours later, you will meet with Road 45 going south from Durango. Again, this is now a 4 lane road that will take you into Zacatecas. This is an simplified overview of what you can expect. I can answer any questions that you may have. Hope you have a great time.<p>

Pat

Sep 28, 2002, 12:05 PM

Post #16 of 17 (1565 views)

Shortcut

Driving to Zacatecas

Can't Post |
: First time driving to Mexico most likely in the month of December, Any tips on driving to Zacatecas from Southern California.Thanks<p>Can anyone tell us if the border crossing from Mexico into Santa Teresa is open 24 hours? Or what hours it is open?<p>Thanks for all the information.<p>

Olgringo

Oct 1, 2002, 9:34 PM

Post #17 of 17 (1562 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: Hi All, Hope someone is still reading this post. I live in El Paso and can help. The Santa Teeresa POE is west of El Paso and is reached off I-10 by way of the Artcraft exit on the west side of town. The new 4 lane divided highway is completed all the way to the border. You cannot obtain a vechicle ebtry there at this time. If you cross there you will avoid the congestion of the El Paso/Juarez crossing. You can proceed approx. 12 miles south to meet Mex highway 2 ( you can't possibly get lost, it is a access road only for that purpose ) and take a left back toward Juarez and when arriving at the glorieta (maybe 10 miles?) bear to the right, South, toward Chihuahua City. After several miles (5?) you will arrive at the Immigration/Customs building where you can do all proccessing, personal and car to continue south. There is no proccessing done at the border in Juarez any longer, so this is where you'd end up anyway.
This way is useful especially if arriving from the west on I-10. Fill up at the Artcraft exit. It's the last station in the US going this way.
If traveling from Chihuahua north just reverse the proccess at the Glorieta and head west on Mex 2 to the Santa Teresa turnoff.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4