Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

bakirita

Jan 30, 2006, 11:08 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3674 views)

Shortcut

Old US cars in Xalapa

Can't Post | Private Reply
    My husband, Jim, and I are getting close to moving to Colonia Ursulo Galvan. We hope to arrive last day or two of February. At this point, we each plan to have our own FM 3 and bring our own cars. One is a 13 year old Saturn which has low mileage and a good engine, the other a seven year old Toyota Rav 4 which still drives marvellously. Two questions: can we get service for them and if we drive them until they die, can we dispose of them in el estado de Veracruz or do we somehow have to lug them back to the US? I know we can't sell them in Mexico.

¡Hasta pronto! Roy.
Esther

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jan 31, 2006, 8:34 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bakirita] Old US cars in Xalapa

Esther:
Please forgive me, but I really don't know exactly what has to be done with your cars when they "die". However, I am sure there is a valuable thread somewhere here on Mexico Connected forums that will give you the exact information, or else post on the General forum. Let us know what you find out.
Give me a call when you get in.
¡Hasta pronto y buen viaje!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

bakirita

Jan 31, 2006, 8:58 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3644 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Old US cars in Xalapa

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I have tried all kinds of combinations to find out about what to do with dead cars. I HAVE learned a lot about not selling them. That's why I wrote. I also wondered if Toyotas were now reparable in Xalapa or nearby as at one point I know there were no Toyota dealers.

We will certainly call. We're very, very excited to be coming!

Rolly

Jan 31, 2006, 9:05 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3641 views)

Shortcut

So far as repairs go, Mexican mechanics pride themselves on their ability to keep anything running forever.

But if the car does die, either from natural causes or killed in a crash, the remains can be sold to a junk yard. There is some paperwork required, of course, to get it off the computer. When the time comes to make 'final arrangements' for your beloved vehicle, go to the nearest aduana (customs) office to get exact instructions. I am told it is simple and free.

You can find an aduana office at any international airport or other point of entry as well as in the larger cities.

Rolly Pirate

bakirita

Jan 31, 2006, 9:18 AM

Post #5 of 6 (3635 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Old US cars in Xalapa

muchisimas gracias...This is all I need toknow. Esther

sfmacaws

Jan 31, 2006, 10:13 AM

Post #6 of 6 (3631 views)

Shortcut

There are Toyota dealerships in Mexico, they are building a huge new one outside Cancun right now. Whether they will sell the same model that you bought in the US is another story and whether they will carry the parts you may need is also unknown. They would be able to get the parts though, if you are willing to pay.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4