Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Arlene

Sep 22, 2002, 11:56 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1344 views)

Shortcut

Directions..Minnesota to Ojo De Agua Del Refugio Guanajuato,Mexico

Can't Post |
Anybody know of any good online maps..to get from where I am in Minnesota to the above town?? I will be traveling alone with 5 kids..So safe routes or quick routes..How long could this possibly take to get there? Any info plzzz...Anyone have any info on aptartments or cheap hotels around thee above area also? Thank you so much ahead of time..

ron

Sep 23, 2002, 5:56 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1344 views)

Shortcut

Interstate 35 to Laredo, Texas. Then hwy 57 to San Luis de la Paz turn west on hwy 110

Can't Post |
: Anybody know of any good online maps..to get from where I am in Minnesota to the above town?? I will be traveling alone with 5 kids..So safe routes or quick routes..How long could this possibly take to get there? Any info plzzz...Anyone have any info on aptartments or cheap hotels around thee above area also? Thank you so much ahead of time..<p>

RickS

Sep 23, 2002, 7:38 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1345 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Clarification. Is this Ojo de Agua Del Refugio a town, or a place in Guanajuato City? There are a couple of towns called Ojo de Agua in Guanajuato State, but neither, on my Guia Rojo 2000 map, add the del Refugio nomenclature. Both are in the southern region of the state north of Acambaro City.<p>And maybe a bit of additional information to the previous post about the route to take within Mexico....
Leave Laredo on cuota (tollroad) 85 to Monterrey. Skirt Monterrey northeast to west, taking cuota 40 a few miles to its intersection with highway 57 on the northeast outskirts of Saltillo. Then take highway 57 south through Matehuala, on down close to San Luis Pososi. Skirt San Luis Potosi City to the east, proceeding south into Guanajuato State. (From there it depends on where the town you are going to is located. I did not see a Ojo de Aqua west of San Luis de la Paz on highway 110, but that is the correct route to Guanajuato City).<p>Most of that route is via Cuota(toll). I would guess the toll would be around $100 and would take two days driving. Regular gas is approx. the equivalent of $2.35/gal there. Others who have done that route recently can give you a couple of options for spending the night. I highly recommend your getting a good Mexico roadmap prior to driving into the interior.<p>Not to second guess, but if you have not crossed into or driven into Mexico before there are a number of hoops one must jump through (car permit, insurance, etc.)to bring a car into Mexico.

Abq

Sep 24, 2002, 6:46 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1341 views)

Shortcut

Eagle pass to Matahuela will allow you to avoid most tolls nmsg

Can't Post |
: Clarification. Is this Ojo de Agua Del Refugio a town, or a place in Guanajuato City? There are a couple of towns called Ojo de Agua in Guanajuato State, but neither, on my Guia Rojo 2000 map, add the del Refugio nomenclature. Both are in the southern region of the state north of Acambaro City.<p>: And maybe a bit of additional information to the previous post about the route to take within Mexico....
: Leave Laredo on cuota (tollroad) 85 to Monterrey. Skirt Monterrey northeast to west, taking cuota 40 a few miles to its intersection with highway 57 on the northeast outskirts of Saltillo. Then take highway 57 south through Matehuala, on down close to San Luis Pososi. Skirt San Luis Potosi City to the east, proceeding south into Guanajuato State. (From there it depends on where the town you are going to is located. I did not see a Ojo de Aqua west of San Luis de la Paz on highway 110, but that is the correct route to Guanajuato City).<p>: Most of that route is via Cuota(toll). I would guess the toll would be around $100 and would take two days driving. Regular gas is approx. the equivalent of $2.35/gal there. Others who have done that route recently can give you a couple of options for spending the night. I highly recommend your getting a good Mexico roadmap prior to driving into the interior.<p>: Not to second guess, but if you have not crossed into or driven into Mexico before there are a number of hoops one must jump through (car permit, insurance, etc.)to bring a car into Mexico.<p>

Mereja

Sep 25, 2002, 6:52 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1346 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We drove from close to Morelia, Michoacan to Laredo. We left about 7 A.M. and got to Laredo around 8-9 P.M. that night.<p>We are also going again. My husband will be driving a pickup and I will be driving a van with 3 kids. We decided to go down to Laredo so that the majority of the driving will be in the US because I don't like to drive much in Mexico. I do fine on the highway but I don't like the cities. The drive from Laredo is not bad. Mostly straight freeway or two lane highway. You shouldn't drive at night, especially by yourself. I know we go through part of Guanajuato. Ask your husband what bigger town is close to Ojo de Agua del Refugio, and head in that direction. We are planning to go through the border as early as we can in the morning and probably stay in a motel one night if I can make my husband stop driving. He always is in a hurry to get there to see his parents. We are leaving Washington State October 11th and it is suppose to take 38 hours to get to Laredo. We should get there Sunday the 13th.
Mereja<p>: Anybody know of any good online maps..to get from where I am in Minnesota to the above town?? I will be traveling alone with 5 kids..So safe routes or quick routes..How long could this possibly take to get there? Any info plzzz...Anyone have any info on aptartments or cheap hotels around thee above area also? Thank you so much ahead of time..<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4