Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

Ron Jackson

Jan 24, 2006, 12:57 PM

Post #1 of 10 (3081 views)

Shortcut

Tapalpa

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just saw some info on Topala. Very little info. Can anyone tell me what there thoughts on that town are and where I might find more info (web site etc) looks like it could be an interesting weekend getaway.

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Jan 24, 2006, 4:03 PM)

Don

Jan 24, 2006, 1:07 PM

Post #2 of 10 (3068 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Jackson] Topala

I can't say I have heard of Topala. Or, are you looking for info on Tonala or the mountain resort town of Tapalpa.

Ron Jackson

Jan 24, 2006, 1:55 PM

Post #3 of 10 (3057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Topala

Thank you for that correction. Tapalpa is the town I was asking about.

Don

Jan 24, 2006, 2:32 PM

Post #4 of 10 (3048 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ron Jackson] Topala

Tapalpa is a mountain resort town about 1 1/2 hour drive from the toll booth entering the cuota to Colima. You can also take the libre and take the turn that says Tapalpa. Has many hotels. Also has a country club with a golf course.You can get a lot of info if you will Google the name Tapalpa.

(This post was edited by Don on Jan 24, 2006, 2:44 PM)

DavidMcL

Jan 24, 2006, 2:55 PM

Post #5 of 10 (3039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don] Topala

At the bottom of this page you can search all the Forums for postings about Tapalpa - there are lots.

As well our own Wendy has a wonderful article about the place on this site (who needs Google!)
Try:
http://www.mexconnected.com/...evlin/wdtapalpa.html

Enjoy!

David
David McL
WebJefe

DavidMcL

Jan 24, 2006, 7:02 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] I forgot . . .

AND:
of course Tony Burton's book http://www.sombrerobooks.com Western Mexico - A Traveller's Treasury which has a chapter devoted to Tapalpa and environs (and yes Paulino's restaurant is as good as Tony claims - validated 5 days ago.

David
David McL
WebJefe

BrentB

Jan 24, 2006, 7:18 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2979 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] I forgot . . .

Then there's Talpa (de Allende) another nice town in Jalisco, less of a tourist attraction, but with charm and a lot of history in it's own right.

Brent

wendy devlin

Jan 25, 2006, 6:52 AM

Post #8 of 10 (2937 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Topala

Wendy hasn't been back to Tapalpa for a few years:)

However she has heard that the main plaza in the town was torn-up and 'rennovated' . Maybe someone can report here what it is like now.

Also the school mentioned in my article, still operates at the edge of town but the workshop for making the whimsical and colorful papermache artworks over recyleables has moved into one of the old colonial buildings near the plaza.

The artworks are now better presented, gallery-style.

Remember proceeds from the sales all go to support the school for niños incapacidades.

bournemouth

Jan 25, 2006, 7:03 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2928 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Topala

Wendy - they are still making the "papel mal hecho"(I think that's what they call it) at the school but selling it in an artesania market near the Plaza. We walked out to the school and took a tour last autumn. The stuff they make is wonderful, colorful and inexpensive. The gallery shop closes for lunch which sometimes limits what one can buy! The school also has a shop. The people there are delightful and happy to show you around. It was a great experience.

wendy devlin

Jan 26, 2006, 9:03 PM

Post #10 of 10 (2805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Topala

Yes you can see photos of the papelmalhecho on my article.

When last I visited the shop near the plaza where the school sells the artworks to help raise money for the programs, I bought a small spotted cow-like creature which can balance at several spots. With a colorful bottle that looks like an old-fashioned milk container.

As I still milk dairy goats every day...in my 'retirement', I bought these two pieces to remind me of my farming days, should I ever decide to give them up. Wendy

http://www.mexconnected.com/.../wdtapalpapapel.html

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4