Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Jerry@Ajijic

Jan 23, 2006, 6:43 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2813 views)

Shortcut

Yard Man wages

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have been talking to neighbors and others about our yardman. He is not a gardner but is a very good yardman. We currently pay him 150 pesos a week for 3 or 4 hours work. He comes and goes as he wants. We do not want to over pay him nor do we want to under pay him.We could pay him a lot more with no problem but that might creat a problem for some other people. Could some of you lakeside people PM us with some figures for comparison. Thanks.

Los Gringos

Jan 23, 2006, 10:15 PM

Post #2 of 9 (2754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Yard Man wages

Jerry...we have two "yardmen" that generally work around our place in Ajijic about 5 hours a week (or a total of 10 hours a week based on 2 men x 5 hours). We probably overpay then by some folks' standards with our monthly contribution of 1,100 pesos to the local economy. We are satisfied with them and although they are far from being true gardeners, they are good workers and require little or no direct supervision.

lmaxine

Jan 25, 2006, 8:30 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Los Gringos] Yard Man wages

Are you saying you pay 110 pesos an hour? The average rate is probably around 30 pesos an hour. I would say that is WAY overpaid by local standards.
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

Papirex

Jan 25, 2006, 8:46 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lmaxine] Yard Man wages

Los Gringos is paying $1100 Pesos per month for 2 men working a total of 10 hours per week, or 40 hours per month. That is $27.5 Pesos per man hour.

Rex
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

(This post was edited by RexC on Jan 25, 2006, 8:53 AM)

lmaxine

Jan 25, 2006, 9:59 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2639 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] Yard Man wages

Whew! I didn't notice that that was the monthly amount!
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

juan david

Jan 25, 2006, 2:08 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2604 views)

Shortcut

We have a "master" gardner who really knows his stuff ie when to prune, fertilize and all the different kinds of bugs and worms that can go after your plants and grass...and what to do about them. He works 12 hours a week and we just raised him from 400 t0 440 pesos per week. Thirty pesos per hour was the norm when we hired him 2 years ago. It's probably a bit more now for a good one.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

Georgia

Jan 26, 2006, 9:14 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2531 views)

Shortcut

The local union considers that the going rate for domestic help per day Lakeside is 75 pesos: that's per DAY - or just about 10 pesos an hour. This is not a commentary on what I personally consider to be appropriate wages.

juan david

Jan 26, 2006, 11:02 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Yard Man wages

Quite true, but I wonder if this assumes full time employment. If someone belongs to a union the benefit package can amount to nearly another 50%. The subject of unions in Mexico is a whole 'nother thing.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

Georgia

Jan 26, 2006, 2:53 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juan david] Yard Man wages

I pay about $75 a year for my gardener's membership in the union. They take care of the paperwork for his IMSS and charge $100/yr. for that. I pay his IMSS insurance, of course, as you are supposed to do. I had a big run around with the union guy because I wanted to declare his actual pay, which was much higher, than what they estimate the pay should be. The union was willing to sell him out: if I declared less pay, he would received lower benefits in the future for his retirement. We didn't even add in the additional benefits of housing, gas, electric and telephone. My gardener is full time and lives here.

Even so, IMSS should be prorated by employers.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4