Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

sfmacaws

Jan 30, 2006, 7:02 PM

Post #76 of 81 (2033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] Is there a TYPE of person that does not do well in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Those were excellent stories DoDi, thank you for telling them.

I also saw Pajarito on the news this afternoon, I was eating comida at a busy restaurant that had the news on. When they showed the clip, the whole place cracked up.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

wendy devlin

Jan 31, 2006, 3:40 PM

Post #77 of 81 (1996 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Is there a TYPE of person that does not do well in Mexico?

They laughed?

Some of you applaud the bull????

Once I was watching, a jaripeo in a small town in Mexico.

Los Toros or bull-riding rodeo, started every evening at 6:00 p.m. It ran until around 8:00 p.m. to allow time for townspeople to get back to the peregraciones for the nine days of the fiestas patronales.

The bulls seem about 3 years old, young and strong. No spurs that I saw. Injury usually done to the bull-riders themselves. Also young and strong:)

Suddenly a bull flew up the wall of the rodeo ring, almost in front of me. He nearly scrambled to his feet on the concrete walkway, before falling back down into the ring. Men, women and children jumped from their seats.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Jan 31, 2006, 3:41 PM)

wendy devlin

Jan 31, 2006, 3:53 PM

Post #78 of 81 (1991 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] Is there a TYPE of person that does not do well in Mexico?

It did not seem to me that bulls are generally hurt when I've watched the jaripeos.
And some of them do end up sacrificed at community meals afterwards.

I wondered when I watched the 'dancing horses' though. I was told that a 'good dancing' horse was beyond price. I didn't understand why they were considered so valuable and prestigious to the owner.

And then I found out about how and how long, some horses are trained.

Sometimes whips are used.
A friend of mine watched a horse being trained across the street from her in a small coastal village via the whip. It took months. Eventually she took another rental because she wanted to hurt the owner.

However you do not 'mess' with these dudes. Some of them aren't nice people and would have you for lunch.

But the people I knew who were training their horse, tied it up for long periods of time in their courtyard.

A low wooden platform was under the horse's feet. Although the horse could stand off of it, if it wished. A dog was commanded to nip at the heels of the horse for periods every day, until the horse learned to make small leaps up and down off the board to avoid the dog's nips.

The dog 'worked' to be fed.

The horse was eventually trained to music. Again it took a lot of time.

Then there is cock fighting. VERY popular. Just ask around for the Palenque.

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Jan 31, 2006, 3:59 PM)

sfmacaws

Jan 31, 2006, 5:29 PM

Post #79 of 81 (1959 views)

Shortcut

Yes, they all laughed Wendy. I think some of it was the bizarre video, the bull went right over the head of one of the cameramen. A girl flattened herself against a wall and the bulls horns pressed all the way across her butt without even ripping her pants. Also, the box it jumped into was full of the rich and privileged who were leaping out of the way, that might have had something to do with it as well. Mainly, it was almost like those slapstick shows that are so popular down here.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

wendy devlin

Feb 1, 2006, 4:30 PM

Post #80 of 81 (1886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Is there a TYPE of person that does not do well in Mexico?

Thanks for the details Jonna.

For sure people laugh... and smile for many reasons. Easier to understand when there are more clues where they are coming from.

When I watched that bull fly up the wall on the TV footage, it reminded me instantly of watching that other bull fly up the wall. Instantly, I ready myself for injury, death, panic in the crowd. Professional habits, die hard, no?

Also our friends' children were often in the habit of sitting, right on the edge of the concrete ring. They would not have been in any position to escape the bull, if he had climbed the wall where they were sitting.

sfmacaws

Feb 1, 2006, 6:43 PM

Post #81 of 81 (1862 views)

Shortcut

I want to add that I was the only obvious foreigner in the restaurant, I laughed too, it was infectious. Later that night I saw the clip again from closer - in my living room - and could see the panic and injuries and it wasn't as funny.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4