Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

alex

Sep 30, 2002, 9:10 AM

Post #1 of 8 (3017 views)

Shortcut

¿ what is the latest info on temp import of a FINANCED vehicle ?

Can't Post |
I've been to the Banjercito website, they are still referring to the $400 bond, which I think is obsolete.
Other references call out a notarized letter of permission from the lein holder shown on the title (for USA). The letter probably woudn't be in Spanish.
I see many new vehicles in MX with US plates and am not convinced that they are either all paid for or that finance companies are so cavalier about their collateral leaving the country. Personally, I'd rather not give the lender the opportunity to say No, so , whats the real deal?
I have temp imported many times, but always with a vehicle with no lein.<p>Thanks in advance,<p>Alex

Rolly

Sep 30, 2002, 9:22 AM

Post #2 of 8 (3009 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: I've been to the Banjercito website, they are still referring to the $400 bond, which I think is obsolete.<p>No, it is not out of date. You can use a credit card to avoid having to post cash. Your card will be hit only if you fail to turn in the car's papers when you leave the country, or if you over stay the permit time.<p>: Other references call out a notarized letter of permission from the lein holder shown on the title (for USA). The letter probably woudn't be in Spanish.<p>This is correct. I know of no way around it.

alex

Sep 30, 2002, 9:32 AM

Post #3 of 8 (3006 views)

Shortcut

OK, I'll do it that way then,

Can't Post |
: : I've been to the Banjercito website, they are still referring to the $400 bond, which I think is obsolete.<p>: No, it is not out of date. You can use a credit card to avoid having to post cash. Your card will be hit only if you fail to turn in the car's papers when you leave the country, or if you over stay the permit time.<p>: : Other references call out a notarized letter of permission from the lein holder shown on the title (for USA). The letter probably woudn't be in Spanish.<p>: This is correct. I know of no way around it.<p>

alex

Oct 1, 2002, 9:20 AM

Post #4 of 8 (3008 views)

Shortcut

not as easy as it might appear

Can't Post |
I called Chrysler Financial this morning to have them fax me the letter of permission. Not so fast, they need the following information : <p>Date of departure <p>Date of return to US <p>Proof of US citizenship <p>Address of the destination in Mexico <p>Proof of full coverage Mexican insurance <p>FIVE personal references <p>So I have to pony up the 400 clams for the insurance FIRST, then they will, in two weeks, let me know if they approve the vehicle to travel to Mexico. <p>Alex<p>

Mark

Oct 1, 2002, 1:26 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3006 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Officially, you're supposed to have the letter. Unofficially, I've never
been asked for it and have gotten five import permits so far on a
single vehicle that has Texas plates and is being financed (and the
lienholder is shown on the title and registration).<p>I've always been prepared to switch to plan B and park the car near
the border and take a bus, but so far, it's proven
unnecessary (thankfully).<p>Totally unofficial, you understand, and it might be because I'm Texan
and the border guys cut slack on folks who come and go frequently. I
don't know...but your mileage can definitely vary.<p>Good luck!<p>

Antonio

Oct 2, 2002, 2:00 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3008 views)

Shortcut

They gave it back and said they didn't need it

Can't Post |
I just went to Mexico in September and took my brand new truck which I just bought and was very obviously a financed vehicle. I went through the trouble of getting the stupid notarized permission letter from my financing company (many faxes, phone calls and headaches). At Banjército in Laredo when I showed them the letter they said they didn't need it and gave it back to me. <p>They explained that if you have the title application receipt (aka "Application for Title", "Registration Certificate", etc.)
that's all you need, even if there is a lien on vehicle.

alex

Oct 2, 2002, 4:56 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3006 views)

Shortcut

thats what I figured

Can't Post |
That there is a "supposed to do" way and "the actual way" that things are done. To be fair I'll try both ways : I'll try to get the permit the easy way first, in plenty of time to do it the hard way if it doesn't work out. I'm back and forth across the border sometimes twice a week so it won't be any big deal to experiment.
Will report the results here,
Alex

Mereja

Oct 3, 2002, 10:11 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3010 views)

Shortcut

not as easy as it might appear

Can't Post |
I just called Bank of America that is financing my van. They said "no problem, we will put it in the mail today". I hope they do.
Mereja<p>: I called Chrysler Financial this morning to have them fax me the letter of permission. Not so fast, they need the following information : <p>: Date of departure <p>: Date of return to US <p>: Proof of US citizenship <p>: Address of the destination in Mexico <p>: Proof of full coverage Mexican insurance <p>: FIVE personal references <p>: So I have to pony up the 400 clams for the insurance FIRST, then they will, in two weeks, let me know if they approve the vehicle to travel to Mexico. <p>: Alex<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4