Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

MazDee

Jan 18, 2006, 9:48 PM

Post #1 of 16 (4829 views)

Shortcut

Hors D'oeuvres You Love

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am beginning to plan a fund raiser for our library, and we are going to have an afternoon of wine and hors d'oeuvres. (I don't know how to spell that but you know what I mean!!) We also will probably have a keg of good ol' Pacifico beer, since it is made here and we are not too high falutin in Maz! I am looking for ideas for snacks, lets call them that, for about a hundred people. Lots of variety, most or almost all served cold. We will transport them to the site, and may at best have a microwave. I have some ideas but would love some input on this! Thanks for your ideas. Dee

Anonimo

Jan 19, 2006, 2:49 AM

Post #2 of 16 (4820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MazDee] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

Chunky, garlicky Blue Cheese Dip in which to dunk crudites.

"En Boca Cerrada No Entran Moscas."

Saludos,
Anonimo

wendy devlin

Jan 19, 2006, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 16 (4793 views)

Shortcut

Hmmm...for a hundred people.

Spells KIS to me(keep it simple)

Guacamole, salsa, chips...peanuts...especially spiced...
Empanadas....jalapeño poppers etc. might be tasty...if someone wants to cook that many:)

Esteban

Jan 19, 2006, 9:40 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4777 views)

Shortcut

First, "how much money do you have to work with?" That will determine what you can do.

Cynthia7

Jan 19, 2006, 9:48 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

Big bowls of popcorn ?? that cereal mix with nuts, pretzles?? bean dip with cheese melted and tostados??

MazDee

Jan 20, 2006, 7:25 PM

Post #6 of 16 (4748 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

Another volunteer and I will try to make all the food. We don't have a budget at this time, just want to keep it down. We want to charge $100 pesos per person. I don't think that for that price, even with a couple glasses of wine or some Pacifico, people will be impressed with a bunch of dips with veggies and Ritz crackers and tostaditos. We will have those. I am thinking some Aram sandwiches with ham, or what they call ham here, and maybe some stuffed mushrooms if we have a microwave. Something to make it special, not costly. And Esteban, if you want to help, hey email me! Last year you loaned your big cooker!

MazDee

Jan 20, 2006, 7:29 PM

Post #7 of 16 (4743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

Yum. Send me your recipe, Anonimo. We will have that. There is lots of Danish Blue here. Thanks, Dee

Gringal

Jan 20, 2006, 7:36 PM

Post #8 of 16 (4739 views)

Shortcut

Head for Costco. Lots of totally sinful finger food.

jennifer rose

Jan 20, 2006, 7:41 PM

Post #9 of 16 (4737 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Ask local restaurants, particularly those patronized by your library patrons, to donate appetizers in exchange for recognition as a friend of the library.

MazDee

Jan 20, 2006, 9:00 PM

Post #10 of 16 (4725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

I wish, but no Costco here! Only Sam's, not so good. Dee

MazDee

Jan 20, 2006, 9:05 PM

Post #11 of 16 (4724 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

That is an excellent idea. Now, most of our patrons eat at places that serve chips and salsa and spears of jicama for appetizers! Now I will have to look at some more upscale places. Dee

TlxcalaClaudia

Jan 21, 2006, 7:55 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4711 views)

Shortcut

Here is a simple one my kids will actually eat: Cucumbers sliced thick into round wheels. Scoop out the center (leaving a floor) and put in hummus. For decoration, we use a tube to squeeze out the hummus into the cucumber so it has a design to it (a cake decorating tool). Subsitute what you have there for the hummus if not easily found (i.e. that queso fresco instead of hummus perhaps?).

Stuffed mushrooms are a favorite here too.

Claudine

esperanza

Jan 21, 2006, 8:30 AM

Post #13 of 16 (4705 views)

Shortcut

Here's an appetizer that I make and people love--it's pretty as well as delicious, and it's served cold.

Calabacitas Rellenas con Requesón

Ingredients

As many small round calabacitas as you need.
Enough requesón to fill them.
Cebollitas de cambray
Cilantro
Chile serrano to taste
Fresh orégano leaves
Sal del mar to taste

Preparation

Steam the whole calabacitas until they are fork-tender but still firm. Drain thoroughly and allow to cool. While the little squash are cooling, prepare the filling.

Soft cheese filling.

Mince the cebollitas, including the green part.
Mince the cilantro, the chile serrano, and the fresh orégano leaves.

Mix all flavorings (including salt) into the requesón until the cheese is uniformly flavored and colored. How much of everything you use will depend on how many calabacitas you are preparing, so this part is sort of by guess and by god.

When the calabacitas are cooled, slice off the tops just as if you were preparing a pumpkin for carving. Set aside the tops. Slice a very thin slice off the bottom of each squash, just enough so that the round calabacita can sit upright on a plate. Scoop out the center seedy part of the calabacitas and discard.

Stuff each calabacita with a tablespoon or so of the requesón mixture (it should be mounded up above the rim of the little squash) and perch the reserved 'lid' of the calabacita on top. Chill and serve.

The last time I made these, I used about a dozen calabacitas and a quarter kilo of requesón. It took a fistful of cilantro, a couple of stems of orégano, and half a dozen cebollitas de cambray to make the seasoning.

¡Provecho!

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 21, 2006, 9:56 AM)

MazDee

Jan 21, 2006, 9:19 AM

Post #14 of 16 (4695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

This sounds delicious and different. Thanks Esperanza and everybody else for you suggestions. Dee

blue

Feb 2, 2007, 3:07 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4632 views)

Shortcut

Hello all (and Dee)!!
I'm not sure when your event is taking place, but I went to a shower not too long ago, and they had asparagus rolls.

Just white bread with the crust cut off, butter (or marg), mayo, and asparagus spears...(some use other sauces instead - depending on what you like ... then they rolled it and cut into little round sandwiches. Doesn't sound too good... (especially for the men....somewhat like cucumber sandwiches LOL), but honestly they were delicious ... and not expensive. They also did this for salmon and tuna and avacado, but that was old hat to me, but these little delicacies were fantastic. J also has a favourite he does on a regular basis. Crusty baked bread - cut off the top quarter and scoop out the bread inside and save. Then, Philadelphia cream cheese and sour cream, chopped green onions (or chives), dill, and ranch dressing or whatever, cottage cheeze and cooked, drained spinach. Mix up in a bowl (add salt and pepper if you like or a hot sauce), and put back into the bread cavity. Put on a platter and surround it with the pieces you pulled out of the centre for dippers....suggestion: put a spoon in the tub of bread/dip ... as the dip is used up, have a knife available for people to carve off the crust soaked with the dip - this is the BEST part. Enjoy
John & Amber
What we see depends mainly on what we look for. (John Lubbock)

esperanza

Feb 2, 2007, 3:23 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [blue] Hors D'oeuvres You Love

Hi John and Amber, and thanks for posting here in the Mexican Kitchen.

It's always a good idea to look at the date of the original post before you respond. In this case, the date of MazDee's request was January of 2006.

I'm sure that even if her party is long past, someone will be able to use your idea for a future party.

Keep posting!

Provecho...

Esperanza

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4