Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Bloviator

Jan 15, 2006, 3:10 PM

Post #1 of 4 (836 views)

Shortcut

Parrots

Can't Post | Private Reply
Yesterday about 5:00 in the afternoon, above Villa Nova (Ajijic) there was a flight of three large (Macaw size) long tailed, emerald green parrots that flew past our house and then flew back east. Today at about the same time, at least two of them were flying from tree to tree in the area, squawking.

I was not aware that there are wild parrots in the area. Are they usually found here? Are they migratory? Does anyone know about local parrots?

Thanks for any information.

1ajijic

Jan 15, 2006, 3:16 PM

Post #2 of 4 (832 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dlyman6500] Parrots

They are here. We hear them all the time squawking as the fly. We live in the village near the park. I have been told that there were wild ones which have mixed with escaped captives. No idea if it is true.
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

sfmacaws

Jan 15, 2006, 5:34 PM

Post #3 of 4 (810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Parrots

That area was once within the range of the Military Macaw, perhaps there are some left. They are a little more common down along the Jalisco coast and probably in the Colima area. They are green with a red circle of feathers above their beak, like a military ribbon on a uniform hat. There is some turquoise on the leading edge of their wings when extended and they have some turqoise tail feathers but mainly you will see all green with the red band. They are on the CITES endangered list as a Class II.

There are also small green parrolets that we have seen in the area. They are the size of a robin, much smaller than a macaw, have facial feathers instead of the bare skin around the macaw beak, and don't have the extended tail a macaw has.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Bloviator

Jan 15, 2006, 6:12 PM

Post #4 of 4 (796 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Parrots

Thanks, the Military Macaw sound like the ones I saw, though they were too far away to see any red. It's weird. In nine months, I have never seen them before, though I have seen some wild parakeets flying around the area.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4