Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

dibartolo

Jan 14, 2006, 5:43 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3011 views)

Shortcut

"Berkeleyans" Thanks for Your Replies

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have read and printed out all your replies for future reference. Thank you all for taking the time to give us your opinions. Since we didn't want to bore everyone with our life stories, we did create a rather brief perhaps stereotypical portrait of ourselves into which some people read far to much from their own bad experiences. Having spent some time in Mexico including 2 days in San Miguel in 1980, we have no illusions that any part of Mexico will be like the U.S. Also, like most people in Berkeley, we are not natives. We are originally from New York City and Buffalo and we like the fact that there are folks from all over the U.S. and the world here. Actually, we are wondering if Mexico will offer some of what we like about Italy, a slower, more family oriented society with more display of emotion, festivity and love of life. However, even after one of us studied Italian dilegently for 5 years and one of us is of italian descent, we would be considered stranieri (foreigners) in Italy. In any culture you are not really native to, it is always a help to have some people who speak your native language. We couldn't imagine living in a place where we didn't feel attracted to the people and the culture. Perhaps we will meet some of you in May.

Cynthia7

Jan 14, 2006, 7:43 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2988 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dibartolo] "Berkeleyans" Thanks for Your Replies

Maybe you should check out San Felipe, Delores Hidalgo..that area had Italian war prisoners that never went home..They stayed, married Mexican Senoritas and farmed, raised grappes and are very happy. A blend of two worlds..

ignacio

Jan 16, 2006, 9:25 PM

Post #3 of 4 (2916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dibartolo] "Berkeleyans" Thanks for Your Replies

You Might consider Veracruz, where there are a couple of Italian colonies (near Huatuxco and San Rafael), or in Puebla (a town named Chipilo), where there is another Italian community.

Contrary to the popular belief that Veracruz is very hot, if you are in the mountain areas it is actually cold, as is if you are at the beach itself in some areas..... sort of like the Bay Area in California, where San Jose can be in the 90's and in San Francisco in the water-front in the 60's.

"El Gringo Jalapeño"

Jan 16, 2006, 11:19 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ignacio] "Berkeleyans" Thanks for Your Replies

Nacho:
You are right. The colony near Huatusco is called Miguel Gonzalez and the one near San Rafael(mainly French decent) is called Gutierrez Zamora near Tecolutla. Not much of the heritage is left, but you can see the architectural infuence in Gutierrez at the church and some older building.
A very interesting village near Nautla is Jicaltepec which was settled by French and reminds me of pictures I have seen of French villages in the late 1800¨s. I have some excellent pictures of the town(if I can just find the DVD files amongs my hundreds of discs!)
¡Hasta pronto, queridos amigos!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4