Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

talosian

Jan 23, 2006, 5:09 AM

Post #26 of 34 (1290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Houses in Lake Cjhapala

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just like anything in life, one must be pro-active to get the best deals, and that includes at the tiangis. Bring your own bag and pick the strawberries you want.

And Tony's is more than a little expensive than the tiangis (at least in my experiences) and I for one feel the chicken from Joco is fresher. I also find the fruit to usually of very good quality, plusyou have many stands to choose from, so if you don't like one, go to another.

And I have checked prices at the tiangis between Ajijic and Joco, and sometimes the prices at Ajijic are higher for the same item. It's not "supply and demand" but rather "what the traffic will bear" which sets price.

But for me, I just like Joco better and some day may move to that area.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

talosian

Jan 23, 2006, 5:17 AM

Post #27 of 34 (1290 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Houses in Lake Cjhapala

There are as many Mexicans owning and living in Vista del Lago than Gringos as per the stats from the Fracc Administrator.

Living one place for certain reasons doesn't negate feeling there is another place as good or in some way better, nor does it negate having an opinion based on experience of another place.

Everyone should consider the shource of posts, including the "quality" of the poster.
"When all logical explanations have failed, we must look to the illogical for the answer.

1ajijic

Jan 23, 2006, 7:25 AM

Post #28 of 34 (1279 views)

Shortcut

Re: [talosian] Houses in Lake Cjhapala

When the tiangus vendors would rather let you walk away that pick your own fruit, I think you are better off walking away. I've looked at the back of the displays and the stuff isn't the same. I don't like bait and switch, never have. many of the same vendors frequent Ajijic, Chapala, Joco and I assume others. Why is it that only in Ajijic are you allowed to pick your own produce?

Joco is no longer undiscovered and the prices are going up. If a house in Ajijic is x dollars why shouldn't one in Joco be the same? As the prices go up there is a payoff to the public. Some of the rough edges are being knocked off and that is good. Their shopping area is growing and the permanent shop owners do take care of their regular customers. They are good business people.

Vista del Lago is very remote and a haven for golfers and someone who wants a country club. The golf course is highly rated. There are lovely homes there, well priced. However, it is on the darkest two lane road on the planet at night. So if you live there get home by sundown. We had lunch with friends at their house recently and the husband went out for ice cream. He got back two hours later. It seemed very routine to them.

Perhaps the smartest lesson here is to not buy a house, in four days as a possible steal and then realize a year and a half later to put it up for sale. I've seen people go through four or five houses before settling down or leaving. This is not a place for impulse buying. We vacationed here for eight years before buying and knew the area well before buying. We continue to be happy with our home after five years.

Roca Azul is a much rougher development and about just as remote as Vista. As people buy it should get less rough. There should be a number of steals there. The question is who is stealing?
http://www.newbeginningsmexico.com

talosian

Jan 23, 2006, 8:25 AM

Post #29 of 34 (1266 views)

Shortcut

Re: [1ajijic] Houses in Lake Cjhapala

In Reply To
When the tiangus vendors would rather let you walk away that pick your own fruit, I think you are better off walking away. I've looked at the back of the displays and the stuff isn't the same. I don't like bait and switch, never have. many of the same vendors frequent Ajijic, Chapala, Joco and I assume others. Why is it that only in Ajijic are you allowed to pick your own produce? # I agree to a degree. The best deal I have found were the strawberries in Joco 2-3 weeks ago. Got 2 kilos and froze them and they are still fine. I think it has to do with as I said, just being your own best advocate in a nice way. And my comparison shopping leads me to believe I get better/fresher foods.

Joco is no longer undiscovered and the prices are going up. If a house in Ajijic is x dollars why shouldn't one in Joco be the same? # They are going up but not like Ajijic. As the prices go up there is a payoff to the public. Some of the rough edges are being knocked off and that is good. Their shopping area is growing and the permanent shop owners do take care of their regular customers. They are good business people. # Yes, but as of today and probably a for a few tomorrows, the main shoppers there are Mexican. I know as I go there regularly. In Ajijic on Wed. you will find more gringos than Mexicans. But I agree it won't be decades before, I'm sorry to say, Joco resembles Ajijic.
Vista del Lago is very remote and a haven for golfers and someone who wants a country club. The golf course is highly rated. # "Very remote" is a relative term. We are 7 minutes easy drive to the center of Chapala. Of course for someone use to the freeways in So. California, it's a moment in time. And BTW, while there are a lot of golfers here, there are many who are not. I for one don't golf and have been in the Country Club once and that was when the Broker who showed the house to me took us there for lunch (not their treat). I fell in love with the 170 degree view and the large open-concept kitchen, dining area and living room. I'm sure had I seen someplace reasonably equal to my home someplace else, I would have taken that. The luck of the draw, and I feel it was good luck for me. There are lovely homes there, well priced. However, it is on the darkest two lane road on the planet at night. So if you live there get home by sundown. We had lunch with friends at their house recently and the husband went out for ice cream. He got back two hours later. It seemed very routine to them. # No argument there, and you didn't even mention the animals, bicycles sans lights and cars coming the opposite way who have had their high-beams put forever on maximum. But if you drive slowly and keep a look out, it really isn't a problem. And anyway, why speed anyway?

Perhaps the smartest lesson here is to not buy a house, in four days as a possible steal and then realize a year and a half later to put it up for sale. I've seen people go through four or five houses before settling down or leaving. This is not a place for impulse buying. We vacationed here for eight years before buying and knew the area well before buying. We continue to be happy with our home after five years. # You are so right and that is why there are/were so many homes. For myself, I feel I made the absolute right decision and intend to make Lakeside my home "till death do us part." Might I sell (with an obscene profit)? Yes, but not for any other reason than to downsize from 4,300+ sq. ft. and three stories w/swimming pool, to something more compact. But as said, I'm Lakeside for the duration.

Roca Azul is a much rougher development and about just as remote as Vista. As people buy it should get less rough. There should be a number of steals there. The question is who is stealing? # I feel what I saw was a steal but a win-win for both sides. And I figure in 5-years, + or -, the place will have a revitalization. Many people are getting priced out of Ajijic and Chapala and as said, Joco may well be the destination of choice for these people. Plus, it may not become "Gringoized" that quickly. Just my thoughts.

Bubba

Jan 23, 2006, 11:56 AM

Post #30 of 34 (1243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Houses in Lake Cjhapala

Jonna:

You are right. Roca Azul is spooky. It has that feel of so many places in Latin America that were begun with high expectations and abandoned in mid-stream. At Lake Atitlan in Guatemala there is a similar development that was reminiscent of that weird old Jack Nicholson movie about the creepy guy in the abandoned luxurious hotel who went bananas..

If you drive around Roca Azul, look for the ghost of Betty Davis playing Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte walkng around in ghostly attire.

esperanza

Jan 23, 2006, 12:29 PM

Post #31 of 34 (1230 views)

Shortcut

The tianguis vendor who chooses your strawberries (or other fruits and vegetables) for you is not practicing bait and switch. That's just absurd. That sort of opinion comes from not understanding the selling system.

Most tianguis vendors in Jocotepec and Chapala offer two options and two prices: a lower price if the vendor chooses your produce and a higher price if you choose your own. It's always been that way. Ajijic is the only tianguis in the Lake Chapala area where you can almost always choose your own produce and where there's almost always one price for any item.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

juan david

Jan 23, 2006, 3:06 PM

Post #32 of 34 (1205 views)

Shortcut

Agree completely. You gotta come down and look around. Many newcomers are more comfortable close to Ajijic, but horizons change with time in residence. Relax, there's nothing wrong with changing your mind later.All part of living.
" let sleeping dogs lie"

CCarol

Jan 23, 2006, 5:01 PM

Post #33 of 34 (1183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [juan david] Houses in Lake Cjhapala

From where I'm sitting, this was a great conversation thread with lots of information. I'm so ready to come see! But gotta wait a few more months....Darn!
Carol

"Be kind, for everyone you know is facing a great battle." (Philo of Alexandria)

RosanaHart

Jan 23, 2006, 6:42 PM

Post #34 of 34 (1166 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CCarol] Houses in Lake Cjhapala

There are buses from Joco along the lake to Ajijic and on to Chapala, about every half hour, maybe more often. My husband and I are buying a house in San Juan Cosola, which is roughly midway between Jocotepec and Ajijic, and we haven't decided yet if we will buy a car. We rarely go out in the evening, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rosana Hart
http://www.mexico-with-heart.com
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4