Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dolores57

Jan 13, 2006, 10:03 AM

Post #26 of 44 (8116 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
Yes thats what I meant Gringal. I know that you folks who alreading live SOB have a very good time bantering with each other and I really enjoy it and if one hangs in here and gives you guys space there is so much to be learned and all of you are very generous with your help and experience so it is totally worth it for me to not overreact to the insider stuff. Surely it gets god awful boring for you guys to hear the same questions over and over and over so I very much appreciate this service you provide for all of us still NOB. But the new folks....by the way where the heck are they? They hightailed it I guess. Thats why I think reel them in with sweetness and light and then you can hit them with the hard core stuff...you know the naked truth and all that.

Bloviator

Jan 13, 2006, 10:07 AM

Post #27 of 44 (8114 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bubba] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
It's interesting that three huge warehouses are filled with "lost airline luggage" and there is only a handful of luggage anywhere to be found. Most of it closely resembles what you described for Scottsboro residents. I don't think many on a Mexican local bus would travel with it, let alone an airline traveler.

For those who have no idea what we are talking about, Scottsboro is the site of several huge warehouses that contain supposedly lost airline luggage that is being sold because the owners cannot be found. It was described on Oprah's show several years ago and we drove there from Huntsville, a several hour drive, just to check it out. Among the hundreds of thousands of items for sale, we found a total of five that we considered worth buying. One of which immediately broke when we got it home.

Bloviator

Jan 13, 2006, 10:11 AM

Post #28 of 44 (8113 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Jan 13, 2006, 10:21 AM)

jrice

Jan 13, 2006, 9:41 PM

Post #29 of 44 (8061 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dibartolo] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
From a former Cal guy. The place you're from doesn't really matter here that much. But....

You might check out San Cristobal de las Casas. Lovely colonial mountain town, insanely complicated politics, much of it lefty. One of the more European towns in Mexico.

There's also Oaxaca and the surrounding region.

Beaches, lets face it, are nice. The area around and to the north of Huatulco is very nice.

Puerto Escondido has its charms, though it lacks the heft of San Cristobal or Oaxaca.

julian3345

Jan 14, 2006, 7:00 AM

Post #30 of 44 (8031 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I lived for years in Berkeley, San Francisco, Sebastopol, Santa Cruz, spent extended periods of time in Paris, Athens, Budapest, Bratislava, Madrid, Cuernavaca, Siena, Ibiza, Hydra, Hornby Island (in the straits of Georgia) and several Pacific Islands, but I didn't look for another Berkeley etc. when I decided to retire in Mexico. My view is that I have already sopped up the BEST of the world's wines, culinary delights, heritage tomatoes (ah...the Berkeley Bowl..), historic settings, natural wonders, spectacular views, pristine beaches, lectures, classes and workshops. I think one needs all of this background to really enjoy Mexico because it is a very complicated and fascinating place; one that is, in many ways, more "foreign" than most of the places I've lived or even traveled. Living in Berkeley and environs for 35 years has given you the level of sophistication necessary to be proactive in your experience of Mexico. Please learn Spanish and keep learning it as you get past the basics. Read everything you can...UC has a great collection specific to this area. If you can find a course in History of Mexico taught by Louis Segal...take it (UCSC, CSUH, UCB).

In some ways I agree with Bubba's rather harsh posting on this topic, but my suggestion is that looking for a Bay Area or European analog in Mexico is crazy making. Remember the wonderful haiku..."Oh snail, climb Mt Fuji, but slowly" and find your own Mexico....it may not be in the obvious places like San Miguel or Ajijic. Buena suerte! Joan

zoeq1000

Jan 14, 2006, 7:07 AM

Post #31 of 44 (8028 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jerry@Ajijic] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
Here, here, Jerry. One thing the Bereleyans might consider is that May is the hottest month of the year in San Miguel area. It's good you're coming to see for yourself because that's the only way to know what's right for you. Look for a philharmonic if you love music, etc etc. If you don't speak Spanish, it will take more time to learn your way around except for San Miguel. If you love good food, you will find it here and there but not as a general rule. There's more American-type food in San Miguel than anywhere I've been. Sounds like the place for you.

Moisheh

Jan 14, 2006, 6:12 PM

Post #32 of 44 (7942 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
gringal: Amen to your comment about "border promotion". In our community we have had city clerks become council members, admissions secretaries become professors, dept. manager (probably Wally World) become lawyers and truck drivers become transportation magnates. Another thing that people do at the border is leave their brains behind (think real estate deals)!

Moisheh

sfmacaws

Jan 14, 2006, 9:53 PM

Post #33 of 44 (7905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
OMG! Please stay in Berkeley. Some of us come here to get away from the sanctimonious PC crowd, Mexico doesn't need it or want it. I also lived in Berkeley for a short time back in my misguided youth but then woke up and moved back across the Bay. I can't imagine that anyone who thinks that is a good way to describe themselves would be happy in dirty, smoggy, Mexico where herbicides long banned in the US are common and "little fatty" and "black boy" and "china girl" are common nicknames. Arggghhh! The only good thing about Berkeley is it is closer to the IKEA in Emeryville, that and the laugh factor - you can always find something stupid being done in Berkeley to laugh at.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

Mark Landes

Mar 8, 2006, 9:20 PM

Post #34 of 44 (7768 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The first "date" I had with my wife was dinner at Chez Panise on Shattuck Avenue. Must have been 1973. Wasn't famous then but was already known for excellent food. Reminds me, our daughter gave us gift certifictes for a meal there Christmas. Hope we haven't lost em. We are in Fair Oaks near Sacramento. I went to both Stanford and Berkeley so I talk with all the neighbors. Another ten years and all the Mexican folks will be up here and everyone from here will have retired down there with you guys. Maybe SOB will accept me as a guest worker then (if I promise to return).
Mark

cariden

Mar 25, 2006, 6:38 AM

Post #35 of 44 (7638 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I am new to this forum but there seems to be alot of pettiness and downright meanness in these posts. people don't ask a questions so that you can all get in a pissing contest.. answer their questions and add your comments but to complain and recount how one gringo acted at one event on one perticular day is just stupid. it's like saying that all southerners are interbred, i am sure some of them never married their sisters....

NEOhio1

Mar 25, 2006, 6:55 AM

Post #36 of 44 (7627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cariden] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
Well I have always found the posts you refer to usually hold a tidbit of information that I didn't have before, or that I can think about or which is added to the confirming or debunking filefolder.

For instance, when would you have found out that "little fatty", "black boy" etc.. are frequently used nicknames of endearment, and it sometimes takes flushing the subject out to get to there. This thread has been much more informative than mean, and who knew Berkleyians or whatever could be so pigeon-holed.

Being from a regular place (Ohio) I would have never guessed someone from that part of California would be so inflexible in their wants, needs and expectations as these posts indicate - after all thats part of that wacko california hippy-dippy land where they pay $1 million for 2 bedrooms and 1 1/2 baths - and besides it keeps the same old questions from being overly stale - I say keep it coming.

Bloviator

Mar 25, 2006, 7:19 AM

Post #37 of 44 (7617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cariden] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
As a Berkeley grad, I just roll with the punches. Half the fun for a lot of these people (me included) is the trash talking. However, among all the hullabaloo, a lot of good information gets shared. We recently drove from Ajijic to Cozumel and benefited greatly from the advice about lodging, restaurants, road conditions, sights to see, and a variety of other topics. Some of those who are most guilty of attacking others gave me some of the best advice.

When I want to find about laws relating to cars, immigration, and similar topics, I pose questions here and get good answers. Banking and other financial information is excellent. I'm currently facing some serious eye problems and have gotten some excellent advice here. People like Rolly - and even Bubba if the topics are food, southern mores, travel or banking - are essential sources of the information that makes living here possible.

You will never find people just answering the question and going on. We are mostly retired and have way too much time on our hands. Besides, think of the mental stimulation of thinking all the trash that flows.

You for instance wrote a classic line "...it's like saying all southerners are interbred, I'm sure some of them never married their sisters." That required a very active mind and a willingness to get down and dirty and to "get in a pissing contest."

Incidentally, those southerners who didn't marry their sisters probably preferred their cousins.

Thinking about it, having identified myself as a Berkeley grad, means that I'm going to take a lot of heat. Let's pretend I said former student of Appalachian State (how's that for red neck), New Mexico State (country enough?), Univ. of Houston (my own tribute to our Texan brothers.), and some unknown junior college in northern Arizona. All true.

(This post was edited by dlyman6500 on Mar 25, 2006, 7:37 AM)

Bubba

Mar 25, 2006, 11:37 AM

Post #38 of 44 (7585 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Wait:

I just caught on . Eddie D. (dibartolo), the once controversial owner of the 49'ers is moving to Mexico.

Wow! Finally some class around here but I swear to God I thought Eddie D. was from Youngstown, Ohio - the precise opposite of Berkeley.

Berkeley wasn't such a bad place although we preferred adjacent Oakland which has a better climate (less fog coming in through the Golden gate) and is less phony.

I worked around UC Berkeley grads in the 1980s and I was an undistinguished graduate of the rather ordinary University of Alabama in the 1960s but must have been smarter than those dudes 'cause I was they boss. Life has a way of tricking us this way. Imagine this hillbilly the boss of these sophisticated Berkeley graduates. Of course, this was the 1970s-80s era when you couldn't fail at Berkeley if you tried. Neither Berkeley graduate knew how to spell nor could they put together a paragraph that could sing to the reader.

The last time I had an encounter with a Berkeley student, he was lobbing human waste at me on Telegraph Avenue just as I left the Cafe Mediteranneum after enjoying a splendid cafe express before Seattle ever even heard of that concoction. He was lobbing poop at me because I was a banker dressed in a suit.

I became the Berkeleyites' mentor. They were lucky.

(This post was edited by Bubba on Mar 25, 2006, 11:46 AM)

sfmacaws

Mar 25, 2006, 11:48 AM

Post #39 of 44 (7574 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Eddie D. IS the precise opposite of a Berkeleyan. The best owner we ever had for the 49ers, until his prissy sister and her bean-counting husband took the team away from him. Bleh! He lived the penultimate 'little guy' fantasy. What a Banty Rooster he was.

As to insulting Berkeleyans, I don't think it is possible as they live in a constant state of insultedness. Hey, I'm a native Californian and we can say these things because there is nobody in Berkeley from California anyway, most of them are NY carpetbaggers.

Jonna - Mérida, Yucatán

DoDi2

Mar 25, 2006, 12:14 PM

Post #40 of 44 (7564 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Hey Bubba! I used to have my cafe bianco every morning at Cafe Med, right before reporting to work at the Golden Bear dime store on telegraph ave. Wow, you brought back some memories.

Later I became a potter and had a regular puesto there on Telegraph where I sold my ceramics.

It was a lot of fun living in Berkeley and Oakland back then. My favorite place to live was Rockridge.

Sounds like there's a lot of ex-east bay'ers here.

Bubba

Mar 25, 2006, 12:21 PM

Post #41 of 44 (7560 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sfmacaws] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
It's good to see you back, Jonna. Will you and Mimi grace our little redneck Jalisco town anytime soon?

We will soon be visiting Mexico's own Berserkly known as San Cristobal de las Casas. It's a lefty town with Brownshirts so a bit confused about where its heading if anywhere. We need some relief from this place which is beginning to look like the Metropolitan Moline Journey's End Mobile Home Park.

You go out to eat at Lake Chapala and you'd better take your defibrillator since, if it takes more than 30 minutes to get served, somebody is going to meet Jesus unless you rescue them. The gringo restaurants around here serve such bland food they all formed an association to buy one bottle of hot sauce which is still half full even though it was purchased in 1966.

Have you noticed that people all look alike when they are under one year old and over 70? It's amazing. I don't care where I go to dinner, there is this same group of old goobers eating there and they are always laughing as if they are afraid to stop 'cause the grim reaper is waiting in the wings and sees silence as an opportunity.

Bubba

Mar 25, 2006, 12:39 PM

Post #42 of 44 (7557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DoDi2] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
DoDi:

I'm beginning to really like you but don't tell Brigitte.

Are you sure we didn't have an encounter in People's Park in Berserkly some time in the 70s? I used to hang out there after taking off my suit and putting on my wig. I pretended to be sympathetic to the hipsters but was really scouting for poontang.

Tuscaloosa was all keg beer, marijuana and sex. Berkeley was all keg beer, marijuana and sex. So why did I move 2,000 miles?

In Tuscaloosa and Birmingham we had the civil rights struggle - in Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco we had the Black Panthers and Patty Hearst and Jim Jones and minds blown away and Petchoulie oil.. Tell me I didn't live in fun towns.

Now I'm in Ajijic. Out to pasture, so to speak.

VSOP

Mar 27, 2006, 8:12 AM

Post #43 of 44 (7437 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Patchouli, pleeze! Misspelling is so unlike you, Bubba.

No hay rosas sin espinas . . .

Bubba

Mar 27, 2006, 11:16 AM

Post #44 of 44 (7401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [VSOP] Best Retirement Place for Berkeleyans

| Private Reply
VSOP:

As you are a fellow southerner and corrected my spelling within the context of a back-handed compliment, I forgive your indiscretion in having violated Bubba's Rule regarding the calling of attention to posters' typos when the meaning of a comment is clear. I think it was the tequila.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4