Jan 11, 2006, 9:41 AM

Post #1 of 18 (6609 views)

Shortcut

roof dogs

Can't Post | Private Reply
A little bit of Mexico :

Lots of details for discussion in this frame:
The rebar sticking up for the next floor someday (maybe),
The ever present satellite dish (gotta get those novelas ya know).
The 10 foot high wall.
What else?
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Jan 11, 2006, 9:47 AM)

CCarol

Jan 11, 2006, 9:59 AM

Post #2 of 18 (6526 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] roof dogs

You are quite right! This past year when I visited Atlacomulco and Papantla and cities inbetween, I saw many roof dogs. In fact, the house where I stayed in Atlacomulco had 2 roof dogs. Not really treated as pets at all. The folks just fed them and that was it. I don't recall seeing any dogs on the ground. I also didn't pay any attention to what they did with all that dog poop! But I do remember feeling quite sorry for those poor lonely dogs.

Why on the roof??? No protection provided to the family up there. Just more mouths to feed!

Gringal

Jan 11, 2006, 10:33 AM

Post #3 of 18 (6512 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CCarol] roof dogs

'Tis better to be a roof dog in Mexico than a street dog. The roof dog gets fed.

It's interesting to look back on man's relationship to dogs over history. In some cultures, the tribe kept the dog for assistance in hunting and when other food ran out, to eat. The dog as worker is common in herding and farming cultures. Mexicans and others keep them on the roof as alarm systems. Some treat them well, like my neighbor, whose kids play with them. It seems that only rich societies keep dogs as pampered pets, even going so far as to think of them as family members. A recent popular event in my town featured a "dog wedding" at a local restaurant, complete with bridal veil and ring bearer. (I'm not making this up) My question is: at what point does dog-love go past a reasonable affectionate attitude and become nutso?

Rolly

Jan 11, 2006, 10:55 AM

Post #4 of 18 (6504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] roof dogs

"My question is: at what point does dog-love go past a reasonable affectionate attitude and become nutso?"

Easy question. When I do it, it's reasonable. When my neighbor does it, it's nutso.

Asi es la vida.

Rolly Pirate

Marta R

Jan 11, 2006, 11:10 AM

Post #5 of 18 (6497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CCarol] roof dogs

I too am curious about why people keep dogs on roofs. Anybody have an answer?

Marta

Uncle Jack

Jan 11, 2006, 11:26 AM

Post #6 of 18 (6489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alex .] roof dogs

The ever present "Mexican Maytag" clothes dryer.

uj

Rolly

Jan 11, 2006, 11:34 AM

Post #7 of 18 (6484 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] roof dogs

Please Jack, it's now called a passive solar dryer. I'll admit that is is sometimes hard to keep up with all the new technical terms. Smile

Rolly Pirate

NEOhio1

Jan 11, 2006, 11:45 AM

Post #8 of 18 (6482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marta Randall] roof dogs

All last summer we watched from second story windows a couple of roof dogs patrol and have the run of an entire half block - two east-west main streets and a side street - the main streets being heavily traveled in the village of Ajijic, the side street quiet.

Even with retail traffic and Lookey-Lous with cameras they seemed to raise alarm only when specific male nationals and groups (usually teenage males) came thru the area on foot. It was uncanny how they discerned who might be a threat and who might not, those they were suspicious of usually noticed them and the dogs followed them until the person(s) reached the end of their territory. That animal instinct. We assumed that these people looking up at the dogs constantly was a tip off to the dog.

At the end of the summer on a roof across the street from us a puppy showed up and was chained in the rooftop room for several nights - just whining and howling. This was the home of an elderly woman who family occasioned a visit and who had local assistants in the house. After about 4 days of this we asked our village neighbor about the puppy and she explained that it was left alone up there to make it a roof dog.

anita

Papirex

Jan 11, 2006, 11:59 AM

Post #9 of 18 (6478 views)

Shortcut

Marta, itís security, plain and simple. Think about how many Mexican houses are built wall to wall. No side yards at all. If a thief can get up on a roof of any house, he can walk across all the roofs until he finds a likely house to rob.

About 1 KM from our house there is a detached parking area for a couple of the nearby houses. Just a driveway with a cement slab, a roof, and wire fencing all around it instead of walls. It is divided into two sections by a wire fence down the center. A dog is kept on each side to guard the cars when they are parked there. Those poor dogs must live in those fenced areas; there is no type of shelter or any type of padding to lie on for the dogs. Day and night, warm or cold, rain or shine. At least they have a roof. It breaks my heart when I drive past and see them there every hour of every day. There is no enforcement of any animal cruelty laws here. If someone did rescue them, they would just be replaced by two more unfortunate dogs.

The treatment, or mistreatment of animals is just one of the things we must learn to ignore or tolerate here. If you canít do that, you will never be able to live here. Iím not saying we shouldnít try to help animals here, but there are just too many of them that need help for the problems to be changed by our efforts alone.

Rex

"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

Rolly

Jan 11, 2006, 12:06 PM

Post #10 of 18 (6476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] roof dogs

When I lived in San Francisco, I had a second floor apartment with a balcony that overlooked the street. My dog spent a lot of time on that balcony. He had a self-imposed curfew -- anyone walking by after 10:PM got barked. In the daytime and up until 10:PM he didn't bark except at black people. It embarrassed me terribly that my dog was a racist.

Rolly Pirate

jacpowell

Jan 11, 2006, 12:17 PM

Post #11 of 18 (6470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] roof dogs

Would roof geese be a good substitute? Have to clip the wings, of course.

Marta R

Jan 11, 2006, 1:07 PM

Post #12 of 18 (6454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RexC] roof dogs

Thanks for the info, all. Roof dogs for security makes a lot of sense.

Marta

Gringal

Jan 11, 2006, 1:20 PM

Post #13 of 18 (6448 views)

Shortcut

Now that explains it all! Makes perfect sense. The next time I hear someone refer to their pet as "their baby", I'll just ask which side of the family it resembles.

NEOhio1

Jan 11, 2006, 2:34 PM

Post #14 of 18 (6424 views)

Shortcut

Rolly, our family was embarassed about that once and a vet friend explained that the "racist" idea about dogs is absolutely not true and if I remember dogs exhibit a reaction due to their eye-sight limitations and the heightened sensory input that limitations kicks into gear. Maybe one of the doggy parents here knows more about it.

Anita

Georgia

Jan 11, 2006, 3:56 PM

Post #15 of 18 (6404 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CCarol] Guido the woof dog

We have expanded our home to the second floor: a stairway up. a mirador and two rooms. Guido, The Wonder Dog, has discovered the roof and he loves it!!! He patrols, scans, woofs, growls, paces, and generally acts intimidating while up there. We have to call him down. He descends reluctantly. He is becoming acclimated to Mexico and will soon apply for citizenship.

zoeq1000

Jan 11, 2006, 6:24 PM

Post #16 of 18 (6371 views)

Shortcut

Here in Queretaro, there isn't much space to keep a dog unless in the house and it's purely a house dog. And there is no grass that one can walk on let along walk a dog. The roofs are expansive and so a dog has lots of room.

patricio_lintz

Jan 11, 2006, 7:02 PM

Post #17 of 18 (6358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Guido the woof dog

My dog loves the roof & can go up or xcome down at will into the Jardin.

http://static.flickr.com/...183_b058010569_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/...184_236dd0edb9_o.jpg

smokesilver

Jan 12, 2006, 5:33 PM

Post #18 of 18 (6277 views)

Shortcut

Now that's funny.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4