Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

da-vid

Jan 8, 2006, 11:00 AM

Post #1 of 9 (7724 views)

Shortcut

Cheapest way to phone

Can't Post | Private Reply
Being new to Mexico, I now realize one of the greatest expenses is calling the US. I first tried my cell phone with a telcel card. What a shock to see how quickly my 400 peso card was used up. I now use a larga distencia public phone with charges 6 pesos per minute. I read on the threads about Skype and Lada National but don't understand how they work or how to access them. Are there other services?
Can someone please explain, very simply!, what are the different ways to phone to US and the cost advantages and disadvantages of each and what I need to do to get the service. Thanks for the help, I'm going broke phoning my kids.
David

ps
Does the Mexican goverment punish us Americas for phoning the US by having such high rates?

(This post was edited by da-vid on Jan 8, 2006, 11:02 AM)

Rolly

Jan 8, 2006, 11:26 AM

Post #2 of 9 (7716 views)

Shortcut

Re: [da-vid] Cheapest way to phone

Hi David,

It's not the Mexican government who is screwing us on phone rates, it's Carlos Sims who controls Telmex.

Your How-to-Call question has been addressed countless times. Please go to Search Posts and enter phone and select the Technical branch. You'll get plenty of information.

Rolly Pirate

NEOhio1

Jan 8, 2006, 2:20 PM

Post #3 of 9 (7696 views)

Shortcut

Da-vid,

We use Skype to call the US from Mexico. Go to www.skype.com and download the program and it will walk you thru the steps to get an account. Your kids will have to have computers, or at least access to a computer, and they too will need to download the Skype program and create an account. It does not cost anything to set up nor to call the US. From there the site will tell you what next and how to....sound and microphone are necessary. There is a way to call a person in the US without their needing a computer, but that defeats the FREE part. Skype is also good for when traveling because any internet cafe can be your phone.

Give it a try. Anita

johanson / Moderator

Jan 8, 2006, 2:33 PM

Post #4 of 9 (7694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Cheapest way to phone

And of course, remember if you are going to make that phone call using VoIP technology then you need a good internet connection, broadband being much better than dialup.

It is usually your upload speed that is the weak link.

da-vid

Jan 8, 2006, 8:21 PM

Post #5 of 9 (7659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NEOhio1] Cheapest way to phone

Thank you for the information Anita, I will give Skype a try and let you know if I am successful. I can't believe the cost to call US!. What a ripoff. Anyway I can keep in touch with my kids more economicallyl is greatly appreciated.
Pete, I have no idea what VoIP technology is? Can you explain it in less technical terms?
Thanks
David

hatchertom

Jan 8, 2006, 10:40 PM

Post #6 of 9 (7652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Cheapest way to phone

My VOIP provider (lingo) says my up load speed is fine. ( I currently have a 1 meg Cable connection with Megacable in Gaudalajara) What I do have a problem with is latency (ping times) so sometimes my calls are great and sometimes they are not so great. But I love my lingo service. They havea mexcio plan and all call to the US Canada and mexcio are 29USD plus tax. You can even have a local Mexico number(s). (for an extra 10USD a month ) so you dont have to mess with telmex at all.

johanson / Moderator

Jan 8, 2006, 11:38 PM

Post #7 of 9 (7649 views)

Shortcut

Da-vid I have had two too many rum and diet cokes. So forgive me if I do not make sense. But VoIP is a term used by the younger crowd. It means voice over Internet Protocol. In short it means using your computer connection to speak to someone somewhere else more or less over the phone or computer either for free or at about 2 cents per minute if you use Vonage, packet 8, IconnectHere, skype, etc.

These VoIP connections work better if you are connected to the internet at faster than dialup speeds. Go to www.google.com and enter VoIP and start reading. You will have plenty to read. Good luck

da-vid

Jan 9, 2006, 8:38 AM

Post #8 of 9 (7628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Cheapest way to phone

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like I still have a little research and reading to do. I have Infinitum for DSL connection, so I guess that will be fast enough for phone connection. I'll try and get a phone connection throught my computer, thanks again.
I was hoping Mexico had those phone call cards like you could buy NOB at 7-11 etc. 5 dollars for 300 minutes, but I guess they don't exist here in Mexico
David

Judy in Ags

Jan 9, 2006, 8:39 AM

Post #9 of 9 (7628 views)

Shortcut

I have used IConnectHere powered by DeltaThree with good success for almost three years. I'm now using their beta version (version 6, I believe) since I started using it with my laptop. I still have version 5.2.4.0, I believe, on my desktop. I call the U.S. a lot, often talking to our kids 30-40 minutes on their telephones (no computer necessary on their part). Once in a while we get cut off, but it's infrequent. I use it often for business calls as well. While in the U.S. I can use it to call Mexico cheaply. I have the North America Plan and have 1000 minutes a month for 10.95--about 1.1 cents a minute. I haven't found anything that works better for me. I'm still using a dial-up connection (except while in the States when I either use WiFi or cable at my kids' houses).

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4